Why doesn't anyone talk about Miguel Torres?

Azazyah

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I remember back in the day people were giving him GOAT status. Seem like he's completely forgotten now.
miguel_20torres.jpg

MMA has a WAY higher turnover of fans than normal mainstream sports. The UFC as a company also does a horrible job of honoring their legends and overpromoting the current guys as the "best ever" to the point that no one feels special so it's not that surprising that he faded away. Most fans of this modern cycle of mma probably don't even know who Randy Couture is which is an even bigger travesty. Majority of people will watch for one era, then their favorites will get old and go on losing streaks/get swept under the rug, and then lose interest. Only a small, niche portion of the fandom are true fans of combat sports in general and don't tune in just for names... personalities draw attention, the sport itself doesn't.

Being successful in WEC (and not the UFC) + Being successful in a small weight class that wasn't established in the mainstream yet + going on a losing streak + getting buried by the UFC for a rape related joke + all of the above = vanished from discussions.

PS: Torres beat Mighty Mouse.

A lot of people haven't watched his WEC fights. For me I'll remember him for getting robbed against Demetrious. Other than that his career was lack luster when he got better competition
I agree that he should have gotten the nod againsf DJ. But even before that, his career is a tale of two halves - his unstoppable run through WEC, and his post-Bowles/JoeB decline. He was never the same fighter after those two back-to-back losses.

I was sold on him... then all of a sudden, he started losing.
I don't know what happened, but from an unbeaten guy (that looked awesome!) he became a dude anyone (good) could beat without much trouble...
Now, thinking back, it was odd how it happened...

Back