Why don't bodybuilders just do full body routines?

It seems like an overcomplication + if you miss a day of split routine, it can through you off kilter. George Eiferman did a full routine, and he was pretty jacked.

I would imagine its better for cardio since you are working the entire body and also it allows you to see which muscles are weaker than others and work towards balancing it out.

Yet everywhere in the weight lifting and fitness circles, they try to sell you split routine as superior method.

Loading the muscle is the focus and blasting muscle isolation. Full body is great particularly for rest too. The ifbb pro is cycling gear and has different goals.

Dorian Yates said not too long ago that Full Body was great for naturals but he still prefers split for enhanced. I don't think that he has a lot of experience in the full body world though.

I have heard that systemic and CNS recovery take 1-2 days but localized recovery takes 3-4+ days. I feel this. That's why I still prefer splits. I can concentrate on fewer exercises in a day also.

Last edited:
Loading the muscle is the focus and blasting muscle isolation. Full body is great particularly for rest too. The ifbb pro is cycling gear and has different goals.

I had a chance to split the routine and for me, I find that joints in the upper body need a rest and so its good to do legs otherwise everyday stress can cause joint pain. This was my personal experience.

I had a chance to split the routine and for me, I find that joints in the upper body need a rest and so its good to do legs otherwise everyday stress can cause joint pain. This was my personal experience.

Nice. I have done full body routines. Less load but more recovery time and spaced out routines vs muscles isolation body building style. Tbh I've mostlynfone calisthenics through the scamdemic. I miss heavy weights but my joints don't. How's your training going? How's the ladies treating you? I was at the temple. My buddy met a girl at the gym. She's a decade + younger. <Lmaoo><Moves>

tenor.gif

Hype. He's in his forties. She's mid 20s. Crushing the gym, aesthetics, lifestyle, etc keeps a man on the grind. I can't wait for my silver fox Clooney Era. SRS!

I asked chat gbt to write me a 2 day fullbody gym routine with strength and hypertrophy focus. This is what he came up with, and i think its pretty good. I would prersonally do only minor tweaks on it.

Day 1: Strength Focus

1. Compound Movements:
    • Squats: 4 sets x 5 reps
    • Bench Press: 4 sets x 5 reps
    • Bent Over Rows: 4 sets x 5 reps
  2. Accessory Movements:
    • Romanian Deadlifts: 3 sets x 8 reps
    • Overhead Press: 3 sets x 8 reps
    • Pull-Ups (or Lat Pulldowns): 3 sets x max reps
  3. Isolation Movements:
    • Bicep Curls: 3 sets x 10 reps
    • Tricep Dips: 3 sets x 10 reps
  4. Core Work:
    • Planks: 3 sets x 30-60 seconds
Day 2: Hypertrophy Focus

1. Compound Movements:
    • Deadlifts: 4 sets x 8 reps
    • Weighted Dips: 4 sets x 8 reps
    • Lunges: 4 sets x 10 reps per leg
  2. Accessory Movements:
    • Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets x 12 reps
    • Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets x 12 reps
    • Leg Press: 3 sets x 12 reps
  3. Isolation Movements:
    • Hammer Curls: 3 sets x 15 reps
    • Tricep Pushdowns: 3 sets x 15 reps
  4. Core Work:
    • Russian Twists: 3 sets x 15 reps each side
Notes:

• Warm up before each session with 5-10 minutes of light cardio and dynamic stretches.
  • Perform each exercise with proper form, focusing on controlled movements.
  • Rest for 1-2 minutes between sets.
  • Adjust the weight based on your strength and progressively increase it as you become more comfortable.
  • Listen to your body and make modifications as needed.
  • Include a cool down with static stretches after each workout.

I asked chat gbt to write me a 2 day fullbody gym routine with strength and hypertrophy focus. This is what he came up with, and i think its pretty good. I would prersonally do only minor tweaks on it.

Day 1: Strength Focus

1. Compound Movements:
    • Squats: 4 sets x 5 reps
    • Bench Press: 4 sets x 5 reps
    • Bent Over Rows: 4 sets x 5 reps
  2. Accessory Movements:
    • Romanian Deadlifts: 3 sets x 8 reps
    • Overhead Press: 3 sets x 8 reps
    • Pull-Ups (or Lat Pulldowns): 3 sets x max reps
  3. Isolation Movements:
    • Bicep Curls: 3 sets x 10 reps
    • Tricep Dips: 3 sets x 10 reps
  4. Core Work:
    • Planks: 3 sets x 30-60 seconds
Day 2: Hypertrophy Focus

1. Compound Movements:
    • Deadlifts: 4 sets x 8 reps
    • Weighted Dips: 4 sets x 8 reps
    • Lunges: 4 sets x 10 reps per leg
  2. Accessory Movements:
    • Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets x 12 reps
    • Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets x 12 reps
    • Leg Press: 3 sets x 12 reps
  3. Isolation Movements:
    • Hammer Curls: 3 sets x 15 reps
    • Tricep Pushdowns: 3 sets x 15 reps
  4. Core Work:
    • Russian Twists: 3 sets x 15 reps each side
Notes:

• Warm up before each session with 5-10 minutes of light cardio and dynamic stretches.
  • Perform each exercise with proper form, focusing on controlled movements.
  • Rest for 1-2 minutes between sets.
  • Adjust the weight based on your strength and progressively increase it as you become more comfortable.
  • Listen to your body and make modifications as needed.
  • Include a cool down with static stretches after each workout.
Very cool but that’s too long of a workout.
And chatGPT is definitely a chick

Cut that rest shit out and 40-45 min you're done.
with 2 min rest 1hr 15 min

Not hating on the work though, looks productive and good variety.

Too long you say? Why do you think that? How man sets do you feel is optimum EDIT - meant to say for a whole body workout ?

Last edited:
Too long you say? Why do you think that? How man sets do you feel is optimum EDIT - meant to say for a whole body workout ?
Its not too long. Its matter of personal preference. If you prefer 45min - 1h workouts then sure its too long. I personally if i have 2 big workouts a week i dont mind if they are 2,5 hours long or even 3h. I go to the gym on saturdays and if i talk too much to people between exercises i have been there for 3h+ many a time.

Regards to this routine, hard to say how long will it take without trying it, but if you keep the rest periods 2 min and dont fuck around id say about 1,5h or even less. You can superset bis and tris to win time and possibly something else. I superset abs with lateral raises for example usually

People seem to be ignoring any sort of warmup when calculating the length of this workout. If pushing the compound movements with any sort of intensity, I would be at least 1 hour in just to finish those. Likely 2 hours for the entire thing (including warmup).

Sandman is right in saying it’s personal preference. And if you are only lifting 2 days per week and taking 5 days of rest then longer workouts are probably ideal. But usually if someone is only lifting twice per week it’s because they have other stuff going on. Whether it’s sports, cardio, work, family life, usually someone only lifting twice per week doesn’t have a lot of time.

I stand by my comment that those workouts are too long. Look at any well known, well respected programs and they will be shorter.

Edit: during Covid when I had a lot of free time, my workouts were in the 2-3 hour range. I was doing full speed workouts at the track followed by a lift in my gym (usually 3-4 compound exercises for 3-5 sets each + warmups)

People seem to be ignoring any sort of warmup when calculating the length of this workout. If pushing the compound movements with any sort of intensity, I would be at least 1 hour in just to finish those. Likely 2 hours for the entire thing (including warmup).

Sandman is right in saying it’s personal preference. And if you are only lifting 2 days per week and taking 5 days of rest then longer workouts are probably ideal. But usually if someone is only lifting twice per week it’s because they have other stuff going on. Whether it’s sports, cardio, work, family life, usually someone only lifting twice per week doesn’t have a lot of time.

I stand by my comment that those workouts are too long. Look at any well known, well respected programs and they will be shorter.

Edit: during Covid when I had a lot of free time, my workouts were in the 2-3 hour range. I was doing full speed workouts at the track followed by a lift in my gym (usually 3-4 compound exercises for 3-5 sets each + warmups)
Well said, agree with it all. I've been around for a while and one of the biggest overall lessons I've learned is that this is a "long game" and staying injury free is a huge, huge factor in getting where you want to be. Any time spent idle due to injury is stealing time that could have been moving forward.

I'm not a fan of full body workouts for anybody serious at all other than those with exceptional circumstances like you mentioned or straight up non-athletic beginners. I've never even put a beginner like that on one other than for the first 2 or 3 weeks just to learn the movements. IMO They are too long by nature, too many bodyparts to hit with enough intensity for optimum results.

As always opinions would and should be heavily influenced by each persons goals.

Cheers and Merry Christmas Gents

I train 3 times a week in I guess a full body routine. Works for me.

Push, pull, squat.

Deadlift over head press, arms

Arms.

Nice. I have done full body routines. Less load but more recovery time and spaced out routines vs muscles isolation body building style. Tbh I've mostlynfone calisthenics through the scamdemic. I miss heavy weights but my joints don't. How's your training going? How's the ladies treating you? I was at the temple. My buddy met a girl at the gym. She's a decade + younger. <Lmaoo><Moves>

tenor.gif

Hype. He's in his forties. She's mid 20s. Crushing the gym, aesthetics, lifestyle, etc keeps a man on the grind. I can't wait for my silver fox Clooney Era. SRS!
Late to reply but yeah light weight, full range of motion is great. I got in to pole dancing and its insane. Oddly enough, met actually nice woke people which I never thought I would see the day. I find that light weight, proper form and not overdoing it is amazing but damn its boring compared to going heavy.

Honestly, looks matter way more than I thought. That and it can invite male jealousy which is kind of insane but sadly real. Very disappointed in encountering this but oh well. Also, I kid you not, Silver Foxes clean up hard!

The thing is, its very rare that an older guys to really work on their looks, dieting is a must as is hair and skin care. Manny suffer hair loss, slow metabolism and so a silver fox is a rare entity because it does require good genetics + lots of discipline. So its luck meets hard work and the rarity adds extra intrigue.

Late to reply but yeah light weight, full range of motion is great. I got in to pole dancing and its insane. Oddly enough, met actually nice woke people which I never thought I would see the day. I find that light weight, proper form and not overdoing it is amazing but damn its boring compared to going heavy.

Honestly, looks matter way more than I thought. That and it can invite male jealousy which is kind of insane but sadly real. Very disappointed in encountering this but oh well. Also, I kid you not, Silver Foxes clean up hard!

The thing is, its very rare that an older guys to really work on their looks, dieting is a must as is hair and skin care. Manny suffer hair loss, slow metabolism and so a silver fox is a rare entity because it does require good genetics + lots of discipline. So its luck meets hard work and the rarity adds extra intrigue.
Agreed.

Genetics is huge. Kevin nash has the silver fox thing going. Perfect hair at nearly seventy.

How's it going with your training?

Agreed.

Genetics is huge. Kevin nash has the silver fox thing going. Perfect hair at nearly seventy.

How's it going with your training?

I had really bad sciatica and it sucks because the side stance with boxing was getting so much better thanks to kung fu and tang soo do training.

Silver fox is the ultimate package. There is a new tekken character who is an older ladies man. Victor is the name and in most intro or victory speech he mentions having a lady he needs to attend to.

I had really bad sciatica and it sucks because the side stance with boxing was getting so much better thanks to kung fu and tang soo do training.

Silver fox is the ultimate package. There is a new tekken character who is an older ladies man. Victor is the name and in most intro or victory speech he mentions having a lady he needs to attend to.
Kevin Nash is silver fox. Bald sucks. I look forward to my Clooney years.

Maybe do physio. Those tables that Rogan has I hear are excellent for the back. No clue what to call it.

I hope you are well.

Some do full body routines. It’s especially popular with natural bodybuilders. The 3DMJ group is especially known for this, and they focus on natural bodybuilding and powerlifting.

But other than that professional bodybuilders don’t miss workouts, so that’s not an issue.

I like a PPL split best because doing full body I feel like I need more time warming up each body part. But I also do full body workouts for some training cycles, especially if I’m doing a strongman competition.
Mon-Wed-Fri full body workout crew checking in.

I think I posted in here in the past, but I just wanna say one more thing.

The main reason why modern bodybuilders don't do full body training is because they are deluded into believing the bullshit that TikTok steroid junkies teach them. And according to these TikTok steroid junkies, doing a ton of isolation exercises spread out to six days per week is more alpha and more backed by bro-science. When in reality, the legends of the past like Bill Pearl, Steeve Reeves, and Reg Park did full body training and built their bodies effectively with them.

Nowadays, idiots who watch YouTube see CT Fletcher curling and shoulder raising and they all conclude that that's how real men train.

I think I posted in here in the past, but I just wanna say one more thing.

The main reason why modern bodybuilders don't do full body training is because they are deluded into believing the bullshit that TikTok steroid junkies teach them. And according to these TikTok steroid junkies, doing a ton of isolation exercises spread out to six days per week is more alpha and more backed by bro-science. When in reality, the legends of the past like Bill Pearl, Steeve Reeves, and Reg Park did full body training and built their bodies effectively with them.

Nowadays, idiots who watch YouTube see CT Fletcher curling and shoulder raising and they all conclude that that's how real men train.

IMO
The part about the effect of poor advice from social media is valid but pertains for the most parts for the ones you refer to as idiots. There are some idiots for sure but I'll give them a little bit of the benefit of the doubt and say they are mostly uneducated or uninformed.
The rest is off target .

The Title and the OP refer to bodybuilding but the thread predictably got to wandering into some of the fitness, strength, cardio and sport specific stuff. Let's get back to bodybuilding specifically for a minute. Hardcore, goal driven, single focus bodybuilding.

The main goal of bodybuilding training, at least for most of the year, is to build the body meaning to build bigger muscles, it's right in the name.
With rare exceptions over the course of your training life the goal of lifting is going to be getting each muscle as big as possible.
I can't think of a reason why anyone would want to take longer than necessary to do this.
The fastest way to do this is to go through a little cycle where you hit each bodypart with the highest level of intensity possible and then recover and do it again. Over and over as many times as possible in any given time period.
Each muscle has a different speed of recovery. Let's say your Chest takes 5-6 days and your Triceps take 2-3. IME those are pretty good numbers for the majority of people.

How are you going to work that into a full body routine and satisfy both of the mandates- highest level of intensity and as many train & recover cycles as possible? You are not.

Another problem preventing the best possible progress in a full body program is with getting the highest intensity possible itself. Although you may be giving it all you got all the way through your workout the actually forces being generated drop off and continue to decline through the workout right after you finish the the first true balls out set. The intensity drops off to an unsatisfactory level pretty quickly. The bodyparts trained in the last half or so of the workout are under-stressed, at some point too far off the level needed for maximum hypertrophy.
There is no reasonable way around that, you can't recover all your resources 100% during the session unless you were to make it stupidly long.

An intelligent split solves all those issues, You can train each muscle as soon as it's recovered and you can ensure that each muscle gets a very good dose of training at when fresh at the start of a workout when intensity is at or near it's highest level. Most people have a life to live so most programs are still not perfect but much, much better than full body.

A serious bodybuilder would want every last tiny percentage out of their program. Not a good workout, or effective or enough. Not speed or power or cardio. All that shit is secondary and maybe a bonus. Just want 100% of the possible hypertrophy.

I want the muscle I would need to win the O. I don't give a shit about any athletic ability, how much I can lift or my VO2 max. Many of the responses in this thread are just fine for those who lift for reasons other than these specific goals but that would require asking a different question.

PS - I love those old times guys and respect them as much as anybody but their are now tons (millions?) of guys bigger than a Steve Reeves and all of them would get dwarfed by any modern pro. And with possibly a few exceptions like maybe Reeves they didn't train exclusively full body.

Back