Why don't more fighters use their Free eye-poke?

It's usually closer to 3 eye pokes but it depends how the night goes. Seasoned vets get the vibe on the commentary and refs before they start "gaging distance"

Yah. When half thier pay/job security/life long dreams are tied to winning, many fighters will take whatever advantage they can get away with. Morality aside, it's kind of hard to blame them.

The idea that fouling isn't on purpose some of the time is totally nonsensical .

Dc openly laughs about it. Bisping is slightly bitter but all of them appreciate a well timed veteran eyepoke. But I saw up there someone said it's easier to dodge eyepokes so yeah.

You obviously don't understand how you slip dodge punches. You slip dodge punches based on how people set thier feet, from initial movements in the shoulders and the loading of the punch. A lot of this becomes an automatic response based on hundreds of hours of sparring. If youre trying to dodge a punch after its halfway to you, you're fucked. If your understanding of evasion was correct, feinting wountdt work.

Eyepokes don't give these tells inthe same way because they dont require as much force.. Please stop theorizing about things you don't know about.

Go and spar some rounds before you have opinions on technique. Or, in the very least, have the humility to listen to people who have sparred for thousands of hours. There's heaps of them on this board.

You spar eye pokes now do you?

Dc openly laughs about it. Bisping is slightly bitter but all of them appreciate a well timed veteran eyepoke. But I saw up there someone said it's easier to dodge eyepokes so yeah.

Let one guy only throw eye pokes and one guy only throw punches at the head, let's see who lands first.

You spar eye pokes now do you?

I have, yes. With Goggles on. When my gym first started fighting nhb back in the 90s we had to testbed because we had only ever fought in 6-18 oz goves. So, we all tested crap out. Eyepokes wernt even illegal at the time in NHB (they quickly became so, because its a stupidly easy way to get an advantage when legal and its also easy to maim somebody).

The stuff I've corrected you on in this thread isn't even eyepoke specific. It's basic striking stuff, base lvl and I've tried to dum things down so you might have had a chance to understand. I should have used pictures.

Any other questions?

Last edited:
(1) If you are very zoned in on a fight, you probably aren't going to be focused on pointing eyes.

(2) The eye is a very small target, it's hard to hit directly on the eye, let alone poke it.

(3) Hands up trying to poke at the face is going to open you up for takedowns.

(4) Most eye pokes are passive, from being coming into you, rather than you going into them. If you can land a forward moving eye poke, you can probably land a punch, which may be more effective.

1. if using eye pokes and more importantly, THE THREAT of eye pokes is part of your gameplan, why would you need to be focused on doing it? you just stick your hand out there and threaten it, and if the guys walk forward then that's there problem. it's already engrained in you because you've been training it just like anything else.

2. you don't have to even eye pokes guys to effectively put them off their game. look what Jon did to Rampage. he didn't have to eye poke him, he just had to put his fingers out there and Rampage had no way to walk into range. you either have to engage him in hand fighting or come in very low on Jon to get passed his fingers.
giphy.gif

3. how many times has Jon Jones been taken down while utilizing this "defense"?
giphy.gif
fingers3.gif
687474703a2f2f61626c6f61642e64652f696d672f7877627063746b6333706b642e676966
687474703a2f2f61626c6f61642e64652f696d672f78766d626e38396d6b6f67772e676966

4. i don't get this logic. so because a lot of eye pokes happen as a defensive move it's ok? i'd say it's worse because striking defense in MMA is already very hard and not many people have good defense to begin with. if part of your defense is literally to just stick your hand out with your fingers positioned to poke that's already going to impede your opponent's forward movement and make him a much more passive fighter otherwise he risks getting at least temporarily blinded by your threat of illegal attack. there has been a lot of offensive eye pokes, you just don't know because the fighters disguise them as punches.
Jon+Jones+Eye+Pokes+Glover+Teixeira+UFC+172.gif
source.gif
763337480.gif
db36c5e55a89d70fd30cf60de93e2596.gif

I have, yes. With Goggles on. When my gym first started fighting nhb back in the 90s we had to testbed because we had only ever fought in 6-18 oz goves. So, we all tested crap out. Eyepokes wernt even illegal at the time in NHB (they quickly became so, because its a stupidly easy way to get an advantage when legal and its also easy to maim somebody).

The stuff I've corrected you on in this thread isn't even eyepoke specific. It's basic striking stuff, base lvl and I've tried to dum things down so you might have had a chance to understand. I should have used pictures.

Any other questions?

Why not just poke the forehead, goggles sound dumb.

Correct me on what?
When did I even say a single thing on how someone anticipates or slips a punch?

Why not just poke the forehead, goggles sound dumb.

Correct me on what?
When did I even say a single thing on how someone anticipates or slips a punch?

Off to ignore you go. I can't be bothered with morons who don't want to learn. It's not my job to try to teach you basic shit when you are incapable of thinking.

1. if using eye pokes and more importantly, THE THREAT of eye pokes is part of your gameplan, why would you need to be focused on doing it? you just stick your hand out there and threaten it, and if the guys walk forward then that's there problem. it's already engrained in you because you've been training it just like anything else.

2. you don't have to even eye pokes guys to effectively put them off their game. look what Jon did to Rampage. he didn't have to eye poke him, he just had to put his fingers out there and Rampage had no way to walk into range. you either have to engage him in hand fighting or come in very low on Jon to get passed his fingers.
giphy.gif

3. how many times has Jon Jones been taken down while utilizing this "defense"?
giphy.gif
fingers3.gif
687474703a2f2f61626c6f61642e64652f696d672f7877627063746b6333706b642e676966
687474703a2f2f61626c6f61642e64652f696d672f78766d626e38396d6b6f67772e676966

4. i don't get this logic. so because a lot of eye pokes happen as a defensive move it's ok? i'd say it's worse because striking defense in MMA is already very hard and not many people have good defense to begin with. if part of your defense is literally to just stick your hand out with your fingers positioned to poke that's already going to impede your opponent's forward movement and make him a much more passive fighter otherwise he risks getting at least temporarily blinded by your threat of illegal attack. there has been a lot of offensive eye pokes, you just don't know because the fighters disguise them as punches.
Jon+Jones+Eye+Pokes+Glover+Teixeira+UFC+172.gif
source.gif
763337480.gif
db36c5e55a89d70fd30cf60de93e2596.gif

Did he punch his mouth or did he bite him?
1712188317404.png
Accidental bite.

An intentional foul requires intent to commit the foul.

Here's a few situations:

(1) I am trying to poke you in the eye, I am thinking it, and I am intentionally trying to jam this finger in your eye.

(2) I am trying to create a situation where it is likely you will be poked, but I am not trying to poke you.

Let's compare first degree and second degree murder.

First degree murder requires intent, wanting to kill.
I made a plan to kill Tom, and I went through with it and killed Tom.

Second degree murder, can be sometimes be called reckless heart murder.

For example, a guy drives at 100mph through a neighborhood, he sees people walking across the street, doesn't care, runs them over. He didn't want to kill them, he just didn't care if they died, and created a reckless situation.

Where does Weidman's eye pokes fall on this? Closer to lack of intent, and if anything created a situation where eye pokes can occur, but he likely lacks the intent to actually poke eyes.

It would be a accidental foul, no DQ, go to decision.

I have the most respect for fighters who never foul and for fighters who will accept any opponent.

UFC refs are the fucking worst, every fighter should implement this strategy until the refs see the pattern and actually start penalizing for illegal strikes.

1st eye poke - warning
2nd groin shot - hard warning
3rd illegal strike - very hard warning with "dont make me take a point"
4th - point deduction

Did he punch his mouth or did he bite him?
View attachment 1037751
Accidental bite.

An intentional foul requires intent to commit the foul.

Here's a few situations:

(1) I am trying to poke you in the eye, I am thinking it, and I am intentionally trying to jam this finger in your eye.

(2) I am trying to create a situation where it is likely you will be poked, but I am not trying to poke you.

Let's compare first degree and second degree murder.

First degree murder requires intent, wanting to kill.
I made a plan to kill Tom, and I went through with it and killed Tom.

Second degree murder, can be sometimes be called reckless heart murder.

For example, a guy drives at 100mph through a neighborhood, he sees people walking across the street, doesn't care, runs them over. He didn't want to kill them, he just didn't care if they died, and created a reckless situation.

Where does Weidman's eye pokes fall on this? Closer to lack of intent, and if anything created a situation where eye pokes can occur, but he likely lacks the intent to actually poke eyes.

It would be a accidental foul, no DQ, go to decision.

that would be a good example if a fighter ONLY eye poked someone ONCE. the problem with your argument here is that Jon Jones, DC, Weidman did it MULTIPLE TIMES and in the case of Jon and DC in MULTIPLE FIGHTS. so in your example they didn't just run a few people over once, it would mean DC and Jon KEPT killing people over a course of time, meaning they're SERIAL KILLERS. how many serial killers are free today because "they just accidentally killed 120 people, it wasn't on purpose"? fucking zero. the fact that they KEEP DOING IT is the INTENT.

that would be a good example if a fighter ONLY eye poked someone ONCE. the problem with your argument here is that Jon Jones, DC, Weidman did it MULTIPLE TIMES and in the case of Jon and DC in MULTIPLE FIGHTS. so in your example they didn't just run a few people over once, it would mean DC and Jon KEPT killing people over a course of time, meaning they're SERIAL KILLERS. how many serial killers are free today because "they just accidentally killed 120 people, it wasn't on purpose"? fucking zero. the fact that they KEEP DOING IT is the INTENT.

huh, standard cases of depraved heart murder often results in many people dying.

There are cases where a guy fires a loaded gun into an area with a lot of people. He had no intent to kill but he knew people would probably die. Depraved heart murder is used when you can't find intent, but there is a "depraved heart" where the person does an action that will likely result in death without caring whether or not death occurs.

huh, standard cases of depraved heart murder often results in many people dying.

There are cases where a guy fires a loaded gun into an area with a lot of people. He had no intent to kill but he knew people would probably die. Depraved heart murder is used when you can't find intent, but there is a "depraved heart" where the person does an action that will likely result in death without caring whether or not death occurs.

you're not picking up what i'm throwing down here, but it doesn't even matter because your argument makes no sense. the intent being shown is the fact THAT THEY KEEP DOING IT. you know, like SERIAL KILLERS KEEP KILLING PEOPLE. that's the intent. you only have to prove intent if you did it ONCE. if you killed 5 people in an accident, you killed 5 people but you only killed ONCE. if you kill 5 people individually every day for a week, you have now killed FIVE TIMES, which proves your intent. Weidman eyepoked Silva 4 times in 3 rds. Jon Jones and DC have done it multiple times in multiple fights over their entire careers.

even people sentenced for depraved heart murder can get 15 yrs to life. depraved heart eye poke = maybe a warning. do you see how this is not the same thing?

I mean if you are allowed to implement defenses (rolling, block, ect.) for the punch, Am I allowed to implement defenses for the eye poke such as blocking the eye poke, or moving my head away from the poking fingers?

To compare a landed eye poke vs. a punch you can dodge, is not really the same.

I'm pretty confident I can still move and fight even if I get poked in the eye. There is a chance I can't do shit if I'm punched.

In a street fight, being punched could result in a 10 minute beatdown if I fall to the ground and get concussed.

In a sanctioned fight, I may or may not get a break from an eye poke (depends on if the ref sees it).

I'd take an eye poke over a punch any day, and we are talking about both landing, not whether or not they land or could land.
No it's not unfair. I didn't say dodge the punch for a reason. We're still talking about a landed punch vs a landed eye poke, but I'm just reminding you that you're unfairly comparing it to taking a full punch, which most attacks won't be. Reconsider what the average punch does vs eye pokes. I also said  any eye damage to be fair, so it's not like I took the deepest eye gouge vs a blocked punch

The entire point is that landing an eye poke on your opponent WILL be more beneficial to you throughout the fight than throwing just any punch.

Lol, I bet most people can dodge eye pokes/block them much easier than a punch. It's a pointy finger coming directly at your line of vision. Punches at least can have all sort of angles, I ain't seen an uppercut eye poke yet or a overfinger eye poke.
You make a habit of being wrong, so bet all you like. You are still imagining this cartoon-like 3 stooges eye jab. Rakes and gouges exist. Literally any hand, spread out (giving more surface area than a punch) that finds its way to someone's face can get on their eye pretty easy.

Last edited:
Back