Why is boxing still producing bigger stars than MMA?

This guy is destined to sell millions of PPV's when he debuts.

T
Do you really think that the average person has heard of Gervonta Davis or Oleksandr Usyk?
Tank yes, Usyk not too sure.

Tank last PPV with Garcia did a million he's a hood superstar as well.

Because boxers are working for themselves, they're their own boss and they can do whatever they want to market themselves.

UFC fighters are just employees and they're not allowed by White (except for McGregor) to become bigger than the product they represent: the UFC
They even tell them what to wear, the sponsors they're allowed to have, etc.

Very different business models.

The only reason why I knew who Ryan Garcia was is because he was on PBD's Valuetainment podcast.

Premise is slightly faulty. Conor and Jones are more consistent, establised PPV stars than anyone in boxing outside Canelo in North America and AJ in the UK. And this includes Fury. Boxing does not have many proven PPV stars itself.

We don't know the results of Haney-Garcia, so we have no basis to claim it was a massive success.

PPV Numbers for Ryan Garcia vs Devin Haney Fight Fall Short of Expectations, Bob Arum Reveals​

Apparently, it did not sell well.

And I’ve never heard of either of those guys. I don’t watch boxing and don’t understand why the boxing discussion can’t be kept over there.

Do people make mma threads in the boxing sub? I doubt there are many clowns doing that. So why can’t boxing fans show the same restraint?

Plus, the TS seems to be completely wrong, and the numbers don’t back his claims.

The sub says .. UFC DISCUSSION. Why can’t boxing trolls just stay out?

PPV Numbers for Ryan Garcia vs Devin Haney Fight Fall Short of Expectations, Bob Arum Reveals​

Apparently, it did not sell well.

And I’ve never heard of either of those guys. I don’t watch boxing and don’t understand why the boxing discussion can’t be kept over there.

Do people make mma threads in the boxing sub? I doubt there are many clowns doing that. So why can’t boxing fans show the same restraint?

Plus, the TS seems to be completely wrong, and the numbers don’t back his claims.

The sub says .. UFC DISCUSSION. Why can’t boxing trolls just stay out?

Well, as someone who occasionally trolls boxing fans with MMA nonsense and MMA fans with boxing nonsense, I can confirm it goes both ways.

mma is still a niche product compared to boxing.

Not really. Its been a 1a/1b situation between those two for like a decade now. Even in the Floyd days outside of him and Pac the UFC was pulling more consistent numbers and producing stars more frequently.

boxing has always been "bigger" and the resonates more with the casual mass market than duh cage fighting. ryan garcia + historical resonance + hilarious andy kaufman esque comedy performance via "deranged" posts = big big stuff.

T

Tank yes, Usyk not too sure.

Tank last PPV with Garcia did a million he's a hood superstar as well.
If you went out into the street and asked one hundred people at random to identify Tank Davis in a lineup, I doubt many could successfully do it.

Get back to me when Tank Davis is on Tito's level starring in A-list summer blockbusters that are huge hits and definitely not straight-to-Tubi steaming piles of shit

IMG_0240.jpeg

Because boxers are working for themselves, they're their own boss and they can do whatever they want to market themselves.

UFC fighters are just employees and they're not allowed by White (except for McGregor) to become bigger than the product they represent: the UFC
They even tell them what to wear, the sponsors they're allowed to have, etc.

Very different business models.
thats silly

as a businessman dana white wants his fighters to become bigger
it means more money more fame to the ufc
more stars = more money more fame

simple as that

your post doesnt make sense

thats silly

as a businessman dana white wants his fighters to become bigger
it means more money more fame to the ufc
more stars = more money more fame

simple as that

your post doesnt make sense
He does not want fighters to become bigger than the UFC.

Dana White does not promote fighters. He barely promotes fights.

He promotes the UFC brand.

Some of you seem to have confused Shitdog with real life.

The only person who even approaches mainstream household name status related to combat sports, now that Floyd is retired, in the English-speaking world is Conor McGregor. Everyone else is confined to far more limited geographic or demographic-based fame.

Ask random women on the street in Auckland, Glasgow, London, Calgary or Sydney who Conor is and there's at least a reasonable chance they could tell you. Ask them what a 'Canelo' is and there's a very good chance they'll all look at you like you're handicapped.

MMA fans live in a super bubble. We need to do better.

Both Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney out trended everyone on UFC 300 and UFC 300 as well. All it took was 1 week for boxing to blow the biggest UFC event in years completely out of the water. Now look at how weak 301 is going to be.

And there’s still Canelo, Naoya Inoue (Tokyo Dome) to come in the next 2 weeks, followed by Fury/Usyk and the 5/5 in May as well. Gervonta Davis/Benavidez double header in June. Paul/Tyson on free Netflix which will have real boxers on the undercard and the RIDICULOUS UFC 300 style LA card in August that Saudi made and is going to be in the States. Followed by another Canelo card in September.

Boxing is just on another level right now as far as superstars and stars. It’s only heating up.

Being in denial is not the way. Dana doesn’t want another Conor and it is very apparent. It sucks but he would rather keep fighters in check and small.

“but no one knows who Ryan Garcia is”

I watch both sports. I enjoy both sports. I don't care who's more popular than who, only who's the better fighter, or the quality of the fights.

At the end of the day, only McGregor, Fury and Canelo have transcended their sport recently. Garcia is on the periphery of that, and is an outlier, his social media outreach doing more work for him than his boxing did until this past weekend.
Anthony Joshua was just as big a star as Canelo at one point, for a bit he was the biggest star in combat sports (circa 2017).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back