Why is boxing still producing bigger stars than MMA?

Cool you were able to come up with 2 examples that don't apply to 99% of people.

How did CM Punk do?
Can you name a single non boxer athlete who decided to become a boxer and became champ?

The biggest fight is boxing right is an exhibition between Jake Paul and Mike Tyson,are they really doing that great?

The average person can name maybe 5-10 current boxers because those are the ones involved in a "big fight" every now and then that trickles over to mainstream. I'm one of them, that's how I knew who Garcia was but not Haney.

They have no idea who anybody else is, to the point that 90% of them still think Tyson is going to beat Jake Paul.

The biggest fight is boxing right is an exhibition between Jake Paul and Mike Tyson,are they really doing that great?
The easiest way to disprove TS is that 90% of normies think Tyson is going to beat Jake Paul because he's Mike Tyson.

The other 10% watch sports, especially combat sports, and know that a 57 year old is most likely losing to a 27 year old, no matter how good they once were.

47 year old Anderson's losing to Jake Paul, but sure 57 year old Tyson's winning barring a fluke.

Imagine being so out of touch and in an MMA bubble that this is what you think.

Canelo/Mungia May 4th
Inoue/Nery - Tokyo Dome May 6th
Fury/Usyk - Undisputed at HW May
5v5 card and Beterbiev Bivol June 1st
Gervonta Davis/Benavidez Double Header June 15
Tyson/Paul July
August 3rd Super Card in LA: Crawford/Madrimov/
September:Canelo again and most likely in a stadium

Several of these are already bigger than anything the UFC has put on this year including 300, which already got overshadowed by Garcia/Haney.

Paul/Tyson is on Netflix and will have real boxers on the undercard and guess what? It’s bigger than anything in MMA with over 100K presold tickets and no limit to viewership.

Imagine being so out of touch and in an MMA bubble that this is what you think.

Canelo/Mungia May 4th
Inoue/Nery - Tokyo Dome May 6th
Fury/Usyk - Undisputed at HW May
5v5 card and Beterbiev Bivol June 1st
Gervonta Davis/Benavidez Double Header June 15
Tyson/Paul July
August 3rd Super Card in LA: Crawford/Madrimov/
September:Canelo again and most likely in a stadium

Several of these are already bigger than anything the UFC has put on this year including 300, which already got overshadowed by Garcia/Haney.

Paul/Tyson is on Netflix and will have real boxers on the undercard and guess what? It’s bigger than anything in MMA with over 100K presold tickets and no limit to viewership.
There's only like 5 big names not exactly a who's who(Fury,Paul,Usyk,Tyson,Canelo)

I know I'm old but I don't trust social media numbers.

I'm a combat sports fan and know Garcia, Usyk, Tank etc... but no one I know or talk to on a daily basis would have a clue... same goes for Pereira or Topuria or Aspinall...

I still like watching both regardless of popularity.

Everyone in MMA is still impressed by Holloway/Gaethje and Alex Perreira but Ryan Garcia/Devin Haney was the biggest fight of the year.

Ryan Garcia is now bigger than any star in MMA (except McGregor).

Aside from him, there's Tank Davis. Who's also bigger than any star in MMA.

And of course there's Tyson Fury and Usyk.

All these guys are McGregor/Khabib level stars.
They have the first team boxing event in Saudi Arabia right after Fury. It's probably the best boxing card I've ever seen. Eddie Hearn vs Frank Warren. They're gonna have points and shit. Check out who's fighting, crazy.

There are 8 billion people in the world. That means that about 0.15% of the population follows him on Instagram. And approximately 99.85% of the population does not. The average person has never heard of him.

Why does Ryan Garcia have a lot of Instagram followers? He's successful, good-looking, and he has Mexican heritage. Boxing is huge in Mexico.

UFC is big business, but it's still ultimately a niche sport, and their business strategy is promoting the UFC brand rather than individual fighters.

The boxing business model is different, with a bunch of rival promoters each trying to create breakout stars.

TLDR; The UFC doesn't give a shit about creating stars. The brand is what matters.

Boxing needs to make stars to generate interest. No one tunes in to watch a random boxing match. Lots of people watch UFC without particularly caring who is fighting.
I agree with most of this, but Mexicans don't fuck with Ryan like that. He can't speak Spanish.

That's the biggest fight in all of combat sports. It's Mike freaking Tyson. Tell me why would the UFC move away from the planned July 20 date for Manchester?

The average person can name maybe 5-10 current boxers because those are the ones involved in a "big fight" every now and then that trickles over to mainstream. I'm one of them, that's how I knew who Garcia was but not Haney.

They have no idea who anybody else is, to the point that 90% of them still think Tyson is going to beat Jake Paul.
It's always been like that with boxing. 5-10 guys is a lot. Most sports do not have 5-10 guys who can trickle over into mainstream media.

There aren't really 10 guys in MMA who are like that. Not at the moment at least.

Anthony Joshua was just as big a star as Canelo at one point, for a bit he was the biggest star in combat sports (circa 2017).

There's been an extraordinary amount of stupid things said in this thread.

But saying Anthony Joshua was a bigger star than Floyd and Conor in 2017 has to take the crown.

AJ is a mainstream star in the UK and the UK only. People on the street in the US, Canada, Australia do not know who he is.

Garcia did that shit all on his own. He's been on YouTube and IG since he was 17 promoting himself.

Definitely. I first learned of him from his local news appearances on Los Angeles and San Diego TV stations. Ryan does what most UFC fighters refuse to do. He works constantly doing his job running the Ryan Garcia business.

So many people here love to hate on Dana for not promoting fighters, but they don't understand that it is not the promoters' job. Promoters work at the fight and event level, not individual. It is the individual's job to make themselves valuable enough for promoters to book them in fights and build events around them.

There's been an extraordinary amount of stupid things said in this thread.

But saying Anthony Joshua was a bigger star than Floyd and Conor in 2017 has to take the crown.

AJ is a mainstream star in the UK and the UK only. People on the street in the US, Canada, Australia do not know who he is.

People definitely know who Anthony Joshua is in the United States. He's not a house hold name but if you mentioned him at a bar certainly some people would know who you are talking about. There is a gigantic difference in fame between someone like Anthony Joshua and another boxing champion, like say, Gilberto Ramírez.

I live in Asia and have seen giant billboards with him on it. He was pushed heavily by Under Armor. The UK is his base but he was being groomed to be a global star.

He's not near Floyd or Alvarez, but that doesn't mean he is a nobody. People in the United States would at least know who he is via when Wilder's hype was at its highest and there were talks of who would win between him and Joshua.

Back