Why Powerlifting is bad for Boxing article

What's from this?
To what powerlifting is closer; to body building or olympic lifting?

What's from this?
To what powerlifting is closer; to body building or olympic lifting?

Powerlifting is fairly removed from both. There are plenty of guys who fail as olympic lifters and transition to powerlifting.

If you train two twins, the powerlifter is going to be quite a bit stronger than the Olympic lifter.

Well I should not say I don't lift but there are other ways to train durability that involve weights but are not really conventional (hand strength) and Power lifting is being powerful in the sport of lifting not necessarily transferable to combat sports.

Hand strength - my dad used to make me do this when I was young for hockey and it is one of the best ways in my opinion to get that hand strength and durability needed for punching repeatedly.

My boxing coach has been in México many times, last one for months and the excercise where you pull a heavy object tied to a rope is one of the hardest but very valuable we do in class.

personally, id go with some clean and jerk. it will build a lot of strength, but it requires flexibility and is as much about speed as strength. the drive will come from your hips and legs, which translated to throwing punches, and sports in general

Powerclean is safer for the knees. It's the only clean that's safe on your knees. Clean bouncing at the bottom will stretch your leg tendons as I've mentioned in many posts.

Some gems if you're lifting: massage and stretch your IT bands for preventive treatment of knee problems. This honestly can't be stressed enough. You should be able to foam roll without it hurting, but I find using a massage hook while you watch tv is a way less painful journey and more convenient, at least if you're bigger like me. Can even dig into them with an aspirin bottle if that's all you have.

If you're into vanity wear a lifting belt the whole time you lift. Many think this is for safety and it is, but it's also to sculpt your waist so it's hourglass, think like a corset but for men. Spandex overalls like wrestlers or bicyclists wear have the same effect. Less known tips from the bro code.

As for the threads topic I'm not motivated to read the article, but powelifting will increase overall power. It'll make you stronger and that can't be a bad thing for any sport. At some point if you plateau you should consider stopping though because of injuries and overall psychological stress. Most guys have at least one or two lifting phases. I would recommend you do the bodybuilding isolation lifts too just to increase your overall experience and knowledge, but that's me and I tend to be a bit neurotic and overachieving.

Last edited:
To try and find a better way than boxers have done for hundreds of years and by no means is this impossible but its highly unlikely.

Boxing such an old sport the money thats in and been in boxing the best ways to train and what to do have been tried and tested and hasnt changed all that much in the last 50 years.

To try and find a better way than boxers have done for hundreds of years and by no means is this impossible but its highly unlikely.

Boxing such an old sport the money thats in and been in boxing the best ways to train and what to do have been tried and tested and hasnt changed all that much in the last 50 years.

That's irrelevant since boxing does not test itself against other sports, and when it does, it tends to fall short.

There are pros and cons I see incorporating powerlifting into boxing. The pros in theory would be better punch resistance and Increased strength late in matches. The cons would be potential muscle intrution into well etablished bodymechanics

^ Yeah pretty much. I think Sinister made some posts how training extenders and flexors IIRC is congruent with sports like boxing, and that may be more ideal when it comes to adding power to a punch. But honestly lifts like powerclean and squats are going to do so much for your shoulder girdle and hips that I think they shouldn't be discounted. I can throw a mean left hook and rear straight once I learned proper form (just recently) and outside the natural power in these movements with hip rotation I attribute that to muscle memory of athleticism from running, basketball, and lifting, probably with lifting being the main factor but also a "looseness" achieved from the others. There is also the unique bodymechanics of the individual that suggests a tailored workout depending on a person's strengths and weaknesses would be ideal. I tend to be strong at pulling motions with my arms and pushing motions with my legs, but weaker at pushing with my arms for bench (though I'm quite good at dips.) I wouldn't doubt that cable exercises to build explosive power in my pecs and shoulders traps and back could improve my punching power because it is a weaker area for me. But, since i technically have done motions to build those muscles up in the past, why not just shadowbox, instead?

My experience is that people who start with power lifting and try to learn boxing later end up stiff and blocky with their punches and movement. I’ve never seen boxers or fighters suffer from lifting weights though. I’ve managed to put about 10 pounds on from lifting and eating more and it’s been great for me as a pad holder and trainer

That's irrelevant since boxing does not test itself against other sports, and when it does, it tends to fall short.

There are pros and cons I see incorporating powerlifting into boxing. The pros in theory would be better punch resistance and Increased strength late in matches. The cons would be potential muscle intrution into well etablished bodymechanics

If you want to learn the best punching you do boxing training nothing comes close to the punching power and punching speed than boxing.

^ Yeah pretty much. I think Sinister made some posts how training extenders and flexors IIRC is congruent with sports like boxing, and that may be more ideal when it comes to adding power to a punch. But honestly lifts like powerclean and squats are going to do so much for your shoulder girdle and hips that I think they shouldn't be discounted. I can throw a mean left hook and rear straight once I learned proper form (just recently) and outside the natural power in these movements with hip rotation I attribute that to muscle memory of athleticism from running, basketball, and lifting, probably with lifting being the main factor but also a "looseness" achieved from the others. There is also the unique bodymechanics of the individual that suggests a tailored workout depending on a person's strengths and weaknesses would be ideal. I tend to be strong at pulling motions with my arms and pushing motions with my legs, but weaker at pushing with my arms for bench (though I'm quite good at dips.) I wouldn't doubt that cable exercises to build explosive power in my pecs and shoulders traps and back could improve my punching power because it is a weaker area for me. But, since i technically have done motions to build those muscles up in the past, why not just shadowbox, instead?

Why do you comment on something you're too lazy to read?

Last edited:
Why do you comment on something you're too lazy to read?

Maybe because its such a controversial topic? Maybe because ive read similar arguments in books and other articles in the past? Call it gut instinct.

Well I read it and it was overall very contradictory. "LIFTING WEIGHTS WON'T INCREASE PUNCHING POWER." Then "LIFTING MIGHT INCREASE PUNCHING POWER".

I think tacos post pretty much covers it. For me I consider mma as part of the equation too and I don't think anyone is going to argue that lifting won't be a nice accessory to your wrestling.

The real take away from the article and the topic is if you're going to lift weights it should be secondary to your training. Which I doubt anyone can argue with, unless your focus is to become stronger versus being a better boxer.

Also some old boxers of the past did do training with clubs, so the article saying they didn't lift weights at all is mis-informed. Though i grant him that they probably didn't do powerlifting. Compound lifts takes a lot out of a person in the meantime, but in my opinion lifting at some point in your life is going to give you some advantages. Can't tell me that powelifting won't give you a better stiff arm or a better push kick., or make you stronger in the clinch.

Maybe you'll be too tired from the lifting program to do it after the first round, but conditioning those tendons, ligaments, and muscles has a permanency which shouldn't be overlooked. I imagine hard laborers who became boxers could tell you the same thing. Wasn't another thread saying having a injury free punch is dependent on grip strength? Do some lifts and add something like deadlifts or pullups, If you're recovered your grip strength will be incredibly strong. It's a complicated subject.

Lifting is also incredibly healthy for you (if you don't get injured). Studies have shown less chance of cancer, osteoporosis, etc. It's a balance.

Last edited:
Maybe because its such a controversial topic? Maybe because ive read similar arguments in books and other articles in the past? Call it gut instinct.

Well I read it and it was overall very contradictory. "LIFTING WEIGHTS WON'T INCREASE PUNCHING POWER." Then "LIFTING MIGHT INCREASE PUNCHING POWER".

I think tacos post pretty much covers it. For me I consider mma as part of the equation too and I don't think anyone is going to argue that lifting won't be a nice accessory to your wrestling.

The real take away from the article and the topic is if you're going to lift weights it should be secondary to your training. Which I doubt anyone can argue with, unless your focus is to become stronger versus being a better boxer.

REASON #1 – Punching is a snapping motion, NOT a pushing motion
Lifting weights is a PUSHING MOTION.

Can you argue against this point?

If you want to learn the best punching you do boxing training nothing comes close to the punching power and punching speed than boxing.

Your legs will get taken out punching like a boxer in a setting involved low kicks, which is why they throw more stiff arm punches in Muay Thai.

Anyway, lifting does not mean you should change your technique. if it does do that then that's obviously a potential problem.

REASON #1 – Punching is a snapping motion, NOT a pushing motion
Lifting weights is a PUSHING MOTION.

Can you argue against this point?

There's the snapping punch and the push punch. And there's a spectrum between. Not everything is black and white. It's my assumption snappy punches have a higher rate of getting through a person's guard and are better overall if you got your opponent's number, but adding a bit more stiffness like a push punch is going to have a better chance of hitting with guaranteed force at a moving target that you can't necessarily track because of erratic or awkward movement, or simply inexperience. How about if you're close to them going to the body? Isn't there going to be more push on those punches in certain cases?

I imagine someone throwing a wide wu sau wc block expecting to block a snappy jab is going to be in for a rude awakening if they get hit by a stiff left hook that bulldozes through that block. Also i dont think the "accidental" elbow from a stiff left hook should be underestimated as a tool in boxing.

Last edited:
Your legs will get taken out punching like a boxer in a setting involved low kicks, which is why they throw more stiff arm punches in Muay Thai.

Anyway, lifting does not mean you should change your technique. if it does do that then that's obviously a potential problem.

I still stand by if you want the best hands nothing compares to boxing training if punching power and speed is your goal. Plenty of fighters cross train and adapt their boxing stance look at Diaz brothers Cormier, Miosic, mo lawal, Alexander Emelianenko, the list is endless

Back