Why TF did Fury and his team decide to trim down and box Usyk? (Fury wins rematch, but that 0 is forever gone)

ComfortablyNumb55

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Terrible game plan by Fury and his team.

Fury is at his best when he's using 285+ to smother and wear you down, then capitalizing as his opponent tires and starts making mistakes.

Absolutely stupid to try and box with a smaller man.

You have to FIGHT Usyk, not box him.

Fury wins rematch if he FIGHTS Usyk.

Does it really matter though, he was never really that invincible guy, way better boxers than him have losses on their record, Lennox got knocked out 2 times but is still in my opinion the greatest HW of all time. Joshua lost to Ruiz and then 2 times against Usyk, you can now make that fight perhaps after the Usyk rematch?

He won’t win a rematch and the reason being is Fury will lose his will and probably get out of shape from here, probably unmotivated now the 0 has gone. He’s already thinking retirement or probably cash out..

Listen I think he has the tools to beat Usyk but Fury isn’t a seasoned professional and often cuts corners. Usyk is ready to fight anytime and in shape all year round.

That said I’d be interested to see how Fury reacts to this loss in another outing.

What's wrong with losing the zero? One of them was going to lose it anyway.
Does it really matter though, he was never really that invincible guy, way better boxers than him have losses on their record, Lennox got knocked out 2 times but is still in my opinion the greatest HW of all time. Joshua lost to Ruiz and then 2 times against Usyk, you can now make that fight perhaps after the Usyk rematch?

Because TS has gone on record before saying Fury is the GOAT, and now he's sad. That's all this thread is.

Sure. He should've pressed more. Especially when he had Usyk hurt. Problem for Fury is that Usyk's feet are faster and he's more nimble. He can just briefly scurry away and recover like he did once or twice in the fight. I think a winning strategy would involve mixing it up, boxing a bit combined with educated pressure fighting. Fury would need to be careful with the latter though. Usyk has sharp counters off the back foot. He knows how to draw opponents in and crack them.

Coming in heavy will be worse for Fury because his cardio will be worse. Mauling Usyk won’t work because Usyk won’t allow it to happen. If anything Fury should lose a bit more flab and try putting on some muscle. The extra strength might make him more resilient. Whatever he does I don’t favour him in a rematch.

Fury will go down in the next fight
METMA0G_o.gif

My guess is they wanted Tyson lighter to maximize his stamina so he had the energy to stay as far away from Usyk as possible and utilize his significant reach advantage to win by tapping Usyk with jabs the entire match. Fury got in trouble because his jabs weren't touching Usyk so he lost the early rounds and had to switch to trying to fight with Usyk, which worked out well at first, but Fury couldn't maintain that style for more than a few rounds, while Usyk was able to maintain constant, consistent pressure, and accurate power punches the entire fight.

If Fury had come in heavier, Usyk would not have just dominated his worn out opponent in the later rounds, he would have put Fury to sleep.

Why did he stop going to the body?
Not sure but I'll have to rewatch it later. Usyk was also going to his body from the very first round. When he wasn't able to reach Fury's head he'd just stab him to the body. I said that'd be one of his keys going in. Fury has never defended his body well. At least Usyk will try and move out of the way, parry, or block them.

Not sure but I'll have to rewatch it later. Usyk was also going to his body from the very first round. When he wasn't able to reach Fury's head he'd just stab him to the body. I said that'd be one of his keys going in. Fury has never defended his body well. At least Usyk will try and move out of the way, parry, or block them.
I want to rewatch it too because even before Usyk dropped him, he had readjusted somehow and Tyson was not able to keep up the attack he had before. He'd slowly found a way back into the fight.

Tyson Fury was still the quicker fighter as his punches came out with zero telegraph whatsoever and landed without Usyk being aware of them at times.

If the rematch ever happens, Tyson Fury should keep Usyk on the defensive and on the back foot. Unlike Joshua, Fury is quick & agile enough to do that + Usyk is getting up there in age (late 30s).

Tbh, I dunno why Tyson Fury still comes in around 260+ (minimum) on fight night since that belly is clearly visible and that beer belly is supposed to slim down as a fighter's condition and agility improves

I want to rewatch it too because even before Usyk dropped him, he had readjusted somehow and Tyson was not able to keep up the attack he had before. He'd slowly found a way back into the fight.
I just remember Usyk connecting on a big left hand and smashing Fury's nose. It also produced a mouse underneath his eye. That moment was what allowed Usyk to take control back.

I just remember Usyk connecting on a big left hand and smashing Fury's nose. It also produced a mouse underneath his eye. That moment was what allowed Usyk to take control back.
My recollection could be false...but I remember him being able to slowly ramp up his activity. At first he wasnt hurting Fury but he'd got back into the fight and landing shots again. I dont know if the smashing Fury's nose had happened yet.

Back