Why TF did Fury and his team decide to trim down and box Usyk? (Fury wins rematch, but that 0 is forever gone)

Tyson Fury was still the quicker fighter as his punches came out with zero telegraph whatsoever and landed without Usyk being aware of them at times.

If the rematch ever happens, Tyson Fury should keep Usyk on the defensive and on the back foot. Unlike Joshua, Fury is quick & agile enough to do that + Usyk is getting up there in age (late 30s).

Tbh, I dunno why Tyson Fury still comes in around 260+ (minimum) on fight night since that belly is clearly visible and that beer belly is supposed to slim down as a fighter's condition and agility improves
I think there was a ebb and flow where both fighters came forward and at times forced to be on the defensive. With Tyson he still had such a big reach advantage that he could catch Usyk while backing up...but it was very noticable when Usyk had to retreat because his usual constant pressure was uncharacteristcally stifled at times.

A 40 lb weight advantage isn't enough? He was fighting somebody who's already faster than him with better footwork, so he came in better shape to minimize the speed difference while still keeping a huge size advantage.

He comes in heavy against KO punchers so he can lean on them to make their arms heavy to take away their power. He was like 253 or something in the 1st Wilder fight and Wilder still nearly killed him in the 12th round, so he changed it up and came in way heavier for the next 2 so he could clinch and wear him out. He was in the 260s against Whyte and Chisora.

His 2 strategies would have been to lean on him and wear him out, or to use his huge height advantage to keep distance and make him have to reach, and catch him with uppercuts when he does. He picked the 2nd because Usyk isn't a power puncher anyway, and it seemed to be working when he got the timing, and looked like he could run away with it until Usyk made the adjustments. It's questionable whether coming in fatter and leaning instead would have been better.

Reactions: HHJ
A 40 lb weight advantage isn't enough? He was fighting somebody who's already faster than him with better footwork, so he came in better shape to minimize the speed difference while still keeping a huge size advantage.

He comes in heavy against KO punchers so he can lean on them to make their arms heavy to take away their power. He was like 253 or something in the 1st Wilder fight and Wilder still nearly killed him in the 12th round, so he changed it up and came in way heavier for the next 2 so he could clinch and wear him out. He was in the 260s against Whyte and Chisora.

His 2 strategies would have been to lean on him and wear him out, or to use his huge height advantage to keep distance and make him have to reach, and catch him with uppercuts when he does. He picked the 2nd because Usyk isn't a power puncher anyway, and it seemed to be working when he got the timing, and looked like he could run away with it until Usyk made the adjustments. It's questionable whether coming in fatter and leaning instead would have been better.
I dont think him coming in fatter would have helped him at all. He DID try to lean on him but it was only here and there and Usyk didnt let him stay there. The oppurtunities for that werent there as much cos Usyk moves so well

I wanted Usyk as I generally just think he's a good dude great fighter with a huge heart. But i m amazed at Fury's ability to take what seems to be major brain trauma and basically shake it off while most would be babbling in an ICU for a few weeks. Reminds me of a Philly mobster who was called in for a sitdown, shot 3 times in the back of the head, stood up and got real mad "why did you do that?!'' to which the hitmen replied "You're in REALLY big trouble now!". The mobster than proceeded to beat up the two hitmen even snatching one of their knives stabbing one of them in the face. After about 20 minutes they decided to quit fighting, saying "lets go to the hospital and say a couple of black guys jumped us". True story and I can see Fury being that guy.

I wanted Usyk as I generally just think he's a good dude great fighter with a huge heart. But i m amazed at Fury's ability to take what seems to be major brain trauma and basically shake it off while most would be babbling in an ICU for a few weeks. Reminds me of a Philly mobster who was called in for a sitdown, shot 3 times in the back of the head, stood up and got real mad "why did you do that?!'' to which the hitmen replied "You're in REALLY big trouble now!". The mobster than proceeded to beat up the two hitmen even snatching one of their knives stabbing one of them in the face. After about 20 minutes they decided to quit fighting, saying "lets go to the hospital and say a couple of black guys jumped us". True story and I can see Fury being that guy.

I dont think him coming in fatter would have helped him at all. He DID try to lean on him but it was only here and there and Usyk didnt let him stay there. The oppurtunities for that werent there as much cos Usyk moves so well
There was such a big height difference that Usyk had room to slide under arm when he tried to clinch.

Reactions: HHJ
Terrible game plan by Fury and his team.

Fury is at his best when he's using 285+ to smother and wear you down, then capitalizing as his opponent tires and starts making mistakes.

Absolutely stupid to try and box with a smaller man.

You have to FIGHT Usyk, not box him.

Fury wins rematch if he FIGHTS Usyk.
Yeah, 40 Ibs weight advantage isnt enough for Fury.
He needs at least a 50-60 Ibs weight advantage to have a chance against Usyk.

Yeah, 40 Ibs weight advantage isnt enough for Fury.
He needs at least a 50-60 Ibs weight advantage to have a chance against Usyk.
TS didn't think this through. This thread is a self-own.

I think his biggest problem was he was clowning too much and it eventually caught up to him. Usyk was serious while tyson was putting his hands behind his back and imitating muhammad ali

I think his biggest problem was he was clowning too much and it eventually caught up to him. Usyk was serious while tyson was putting his hands behind his back and imitating muhammad ali
I dont think he did anything wrong. Clowning is part of his style to hide what he is trying to do or make his opponent hesitate. It did work at times esp earlier in the fight.

I think Usyk was just better than him and thats why he won.

I dont think he did anything wrong. Clowning is part of his style to hide what he is trying to do or make his opponent hesitate. It did work at times esp earlier in the fight.

I think Usyk was just better than him and thats why he won.
Weren't there a couple moments in the fight where Tyson landed flush and somewhat managed to make Usyk on the defensive?

You have cases where Fury just uppercutted Whyte out of nowhere and the latter dropped worse than a sack of potatoes.

I'm surprised Usyk didn't go down after eating one of those clean shots

Weren't there a couple moments in the fight where Tyson landed flush and somewhat managed to make Usyk on the defensive?

You have cases where Fury just uppercutted Whyte out of nowhere and the latter dropped worse than a sack of potatoes.

I'm surprised Usyk didn't go down after eating one of those clean shots
Me too. They looked horrendous and you can tell they hurt Usyk but the dude just gritted through it. Insane.

Maybe Fury didn't want to look like a cow right after his dad acted like a jackass.

Terrible game plan by Fury and his team.

Fury is at his best when he's using 285+ to smother and wear you down, then capitalizing as his opponent tires and starts making mistakes.

Absolutely stupid to try and box with a smaller man.

You have to FIGHT Usyk, not box him.

Fury wins rematch if he FIGHTS Usy

Fury was winning the fight until the 9th rd

Good fight but happening a little bit late. Both guys are a little bit old tbh. Fight would have been even more dynamic 5 years ago. Glad they are getting both money and respect from fans at least now.

Back