Why was Aldo incapable of clean knockouts?

You don't need power to drop someone with a liver shot. You need really good timing and accuracy.

And yet Max and Volk, not known for power at all, both have clean KOs. Volk starched current UFC lightweight Jamie Mullarkey. My point is that it's odd that Jose has none.

Right. With Aldo being one of the most fast-twitch fighters out of anyone, and actually having super crisp striking, am I wrong in thinking he should have at least one nice clean knockout shots with his hands?
Looking up one KO that Volk had in the AFC 8 years ago and attempting to legitimize it by adding "current UFC lightweight" is wild. Where are all of Max and Volk's knee and soccer kick KOs? I guess they are merely incapable...At the end of the day, KO/TKOs as a percentage of total wins looks like this: Aldo (54.8%) Volk (50%) and Max (46.2%). I'll let you get back to whatever weird fucking point you were trying to make though.

He's not pillow fisted, it's that he doesnt land his shots. Aldo is overrated but and it's difficult to reason with his fanboys. A lot of his championship fights were playing safe with jabs and kicks. I think it is fair to say doesn't have crazy power you would expect from his physique, but having bodyshots that hurt people and rocking fighters like Max it is not fair to say he is pillowfisted.
The issue I think is people seem to refuse to acknowledge he was most effective as a point fighter picking away from range.

The issue I think is people seem to refuse to acknowledge he was most effective as a point fighter picking away from range.

I wouldn't know. He has 11 finishes in WEC/UFC and 10 decision wins. Finished many fighters that were top 10 or top 5 featherweights at the time, including some like Cub that were hard to finish with strikes.
Wouldn't call him a finishing machine but point fighter is way over the top. Makes sense only if you count nothing but his time as a bantamweight.

I wouldn't know. He has 11 finishes in WEC/UFC and 10 decision wins. Finished many fighters that were top 10 or top 5 featherweights at the time, including some like Cub that were hard to finish with strikes.
Wouldn't call him a finishing machine but point fighter is way over the top. Makes sense only if you count nothing but his time as a bantamweight.
Early in his career he showed more finishing ability, I think part of that was probably more ability to land knees but also the standard of opponent, in the UFC he only has four finishes in a dozen years.

Most of his latter run at the top was I think based on having an incredibly strong jab(I think a contender for the best ever in MMA), the rest of his boxing was IMHO technically not at the same level, not "bad" but not at the same level as the jab and generally picking away from range.

Jose Aldo was such a skilled and explosive striker, he should have been knocking out people left and right with his hands but most of the time he's knocking people out cold it's from a knee.

I actually cannot recall a single fight of his where he is sparking someone out cold with a punch.

This is no knock on Aldo because he's one of my favorite fighters of all time but I get the feeling that someone who is almost purely fast-twitch muscle should have more KO power. Was he slightly pillowfisted?
Same thing could be said about Gaethje

Looking up one KO that Volk had in the AFC 8 years ago and attempting to legitimize it by adding "current UFC lightweight" is wild.
It's literally relevant because that gives Volk one more clean knockout than Jose does.

If you weren't aware, Jose had a regional career too where he fought cans (and not current UFC lightweights). Still no knockouts with the hands.
Where are all of Max and Volk's knee and soccer kick KOs? I guess they are merely incapable...At the end of the day, KO/TKOs as a percentage of total wins looks like this: Aldo (54.8%) Volk (50%) and Max (46.2%). I'll let you get back to whatever weird fucking point you were trying to make though.
Nice work trying to deflect when the entire discussion is about power with the hands.
Where are all of Max and Volk's knee and soccer kick KOs? I guess they are merely incapable
Yeah. They literally were because they didn't fight in regional Brazilian or Japanese promotions where soccer kicks were allowed. Not that knees/soccer kicks are relevant to this discussion. If anything it's more unusual that Jose is capable of these explosive knee KOs but then can't put anyone out cold with his hands.

Last edited:
I remember gamburyan out cold if that helps. Otherwise not much different than mcgregors finishes. Both legends.

Same thing could be said about Gaethje

No, the same cannot be said about Gaethje because he turned Barboza into a fucking statue. And that's not even mentioning his KOs of Vick and Dan Lauzon.

Why are you lying?

He didn't sit down on his punches as much I'm assuming to avoid counter shots. Some of the few times you did see him really over commit with his hands he paid for it.
Most notably against Max and Conor

Aldo wasn't as aggressive as he should have been. That's has always been my knock on him was he didn't impose his speed and power advantage enough and wisely.

Most notably against Max and Conor
IIRC he got tagged early against Manny too, and in the second Mendes fight he was landing some bombs on him, but took some as well. That was the first fight I noticed he was susceptible to getting lured into a brawl and hit with counters.

Back