Winning fg2900 review

MC Hammered

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been using the common headgear at class, borrowed some newer ones from classmates to try out and finally decided to get my own. I shortlisted ones from Title, GFG and Rival before doing more research and reading up about the fg2900.

After reading all the reviews I could find and seeing StRatoCastR's beautiful tri-color piece I was convinced it was what I wanted. Yes the price is double, if not triple, what another companies top headgear costs, but I decided I am going to buy the best protection I can afford as my brain is worth it. Coming from the snowboarding world and taking my share of spills, I know the benefit of quality head protection.

It is $170.00 more than the Rival d30 Intellishock headgear sold at Title. I spar twice a week, so 104 times a year, so this breaks the extra cost down to $1.63 per session for better, lighter weight protection. If you think of it this way it is a no brainer decision.

So here is the amazing Winning box and state of the art packaging used by Mitani

IMG_6288.JPG

IMG_6289.JPG

Borrowed this pic from Zishan to show the size difference between a M (top) and a LL (bottom) in the box

6qd7j8.jpg

IMG_6290.JPG

Last edited:
Quality :
The headgear is made out of synthetic leather with no visible flaws, defects or stray threads.

The feel of the Winning synthetic leather is not as good as the Hayabusa Vylar used on the GSP gloves I had, the unfortunate part is I described the Vylar material as feeling cheap. The Winning material does feel cheap as well and made me wonder what the natural leather they used would feel like.

Reason I chose the synthetic over leather? The ease of maintenance and less issues with sweat were the deciding factors.

Regarding Winning synthetic (not the other brands synthetic):

1) lighter than leather
2) more durable towards sweat than leather (highly beneficial in case of a headgear)
3) easy to clean/maintain
4) yet feels very much like leather

IMG_6296.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG

IMG_6298.JPG

IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6293.JPG

This is the only 'defect' I could find as the front and rear sections did not line up perfectly

IMG_6295.JPG

Winning decided to use contrasting stitching (red top thread, black bobbin) to match the color theme instead of just using all red or black thread. This is a small detail but shows that they did think this through.

IMG_6292.JPG

IMG_6300.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG

Here is a picture comparing the head loop synthetic leather material compared to the face material as they are not the same.

IMG_6302.JPG

IMG_6303.JPG

Fit & Comfort:
As others have stated this headgear is light! If it was not for the pressure of the cheek protectors against my face I would probably forget I had anything on.

My head measures 24.0" and between a L and a LL

Large : 22.5 - 24.5 inch / 57 - 62 cm
2 Large: 23.5 - 25.5 inch / 60 - 65 cm

I decided to get the LL and and tighten it up than to have a L that has maxed out laces and a wide rear gap. The rear gap on my headgear once the laces are set is 1" wide.

To fit the headgear I loosened up the rear laces, put it on and then centered the ear openings around my ears and then used both my hands to 'squeeze' the sides of the headgear to hold it in place. I then had someone tighten the laces and that was it! It fits flush to the face with no gaps and it does not move.

Visibility is great with no loss of peripheral vision and the slightest loss of lower vision due to the cheek protectors being in the way.

Took the headgear on and off a few times and only have to clip the chinstrap. No adjustments are needed compared to headgear that uses velcro straps. It is the most comfortable headgear I have put on and this is a factor I did not rank very high when I was comparison shopping, so I advise you to consider this when selecting a headgear.

IMG_6306.JPG

IMG_6313.JPG

IMG_6315.JPG

Protection:
Can't really comment as I haven't used it yet, but I did smash my fist into my forehead and side of my face to test the shock absorption and it was great.

Value & Service:

At $300 shipped this is not a cheap headgear, but breaking it down as I have the price is reasonable for the level of protection the fg2900 provides.

I did do all the research and knew what I wanted to order, so Mitani was very easy to deal with as I didn't have a bunch of questions. He never did reply to my email I sent requesting a status update after 30 days past, but did send a tracking number once the headgear was shipped.

I'd give this headgear a 9/10 and look forward to putting it through some rounds in the new year.

Last edited:
nice review.

please update once you've used it a bit. something in particular i'm interested in is your first hand experience with the synthetic material and how much it makes you sweat. personally, i sweat quite a bit with headgear on. its rather distracting because the way my head/face is shaped channels the sweat directly into my eyes. you can imagine how seeing would be important during sparring, haha. anyway, i'm wondering whether the synthetic or real leather might be better as far as heat and breathability is concerned.

thanks.

Well using the synthetic leather for my Recaro seats as an example, it does not breathe at all and I'd expect this synthetic leather to act the same.

Synthetic vs leather was the hardest decision when it came to this headgear. I chose synthetic so it wouldn't absorb sweat which made it easier to keep it clean, but how does the sweat channel down my face is an interesting question.

How does it perform if it was made with leather? Strato would be the best one to ask this question as he is one of the few that has a leather fg2900 as they only offered this option very recently.

I will keep your question in mind and post back after I get some facetime in the fg2900.

Well using the synthetic leather for my Recaro seats as an example, it does not breathe at all and I'd expect this synthetic leather to act the same.

Synthetic vs leather was the hardest decision when it came to this headgear. I chose synthetic so it wouldn't absorb sweat which made it easier to keep it clean, but how does the sweat channel down my face is an interesting question.

How does it perform if it was made with leather? Strato would be the best one to ask this question as he is one of the few that has a leather fg2900 as they only offered this option very recently.

I will keep your question in mind and post back after I get some facetime in the fg2900.

thanks man!

I'm definitely liking the colour scheme you went with! I agree with vylar feeling better than Winnings synthetic leather as well. Awesome headgear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konster1
Back