With win at UFC 244, Gregor Gillespie will call for Khabib Nurmagomedov fight

JM Barrie

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“I think sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. The strikers haven’t been able to get it done with Khabib, so … I’d call for that. For sure. That’s a fight that’s super exciting for me. I always like to challenge myself. Again, I’ve got to get past Kevin on Saturday night. That’s the big test. But yeah, let’s say all goes well on Saturday night – that’s a fight that I’ll call for.”

To read full article click link below:
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019...vs-khabib-nurmagomedov-with-ufc-244-win-video

On why he doesn't fight as much as other fighter;
“… I think you’ve (only) got so much gas in the tank. I don’t get in a ton of wars. But if you fight three or four times a year, you’re going to have a shorter career.”

- Same article

20111130113840_w.JPG

67833564_153671812499447_5251036925484578887_n.jpg

I hope this fight, no matter the outcome, will be won on skill and not size.

kevin-lee-gregor-gillespie-ufc-244-media-day.jpg

And he's not going to get it. Might as will call out someone realistic like Raging Al.

He and Gaychee for #1 contender if he wins.

Needs at least 2 more wins if he gets by Lee
Guys above him are more proven and deserving and there is another guy above that makes the company a lot of money
Don't waste your time
Call out one of those guys instead

Lee does not earn you a title shot... but who am I to say? You have two gatekeepers fighting for a "baddest mofo" title on the same card.

Needs at least 2 more wins if he gets by Lee
Guys above him are more proven and deserving and there is another guy above that makes the company a lot of money
Don't waste your time
Call out one of those guys instead

He should be looking to call out a Hooker/Al/Barboza/Cowboy type of fighter if he wins.

Khabib is like you said, at least 2 fights away, if not 3-4.

UFC LW division is so stacked that guys can go on 12 fight win streaks and not get title shots.

He will be a good challenge for Khabib but there are too many people in the line before him. I think he needs 2 more wins at least to get there and by then who knows Khabib may have retired.

I doubt Gregor beats Makhachev, not to mention Khabib. Also I'm convinced Gregor and Islam are capable of beating Tony Ferguson.

what is this bullshit?
first conor wants to fight cowboy (who lost his last 2 fights) to get a title shot
now gregor wants a title shot after beating lee (who lost his last 2 fights too)

you need to beat at least 3-4 top 10 opponents to deserve a title shot

It will be a good fight to test Khabib against a good wrestler but once again, before calling Khabib he should fought the other guys first who are well deserving for this fight i.e. Tony

Thats funny, mate.
Indeed, it's funny to compare a complete submission grappler like Islam to a one-dimensional wrestler like Gregor who had his back taken by cans.

Now that I think about it, Lee will be a good test for Gregor to see where his grappling currently is. Wouldn't be surprised if Lee takes his back and chokes him out early.

Indeed, it's funny to compare a complete submission grappler like Islam to a one-dimensional wrestler like Gregor who had his back taken by cans.

5 finishes in 6 UFC fights.
He has better hands than Mak.

He had his back taken 3 years ago. Mak was TKO on the feet by a BJJ coach 4 years ago.
You can't say one fighter has changed but the other hasn't when both are on big winning streaks. Right?

EDIT

Also submission grappler?
2 SUBs in the UFC, same as Gregor
Gregors SUBs are vs better fighters.

stylistically I think gregor is an easier fight for khabib than justin gaethje for exemple, what's gregor going to do to khabib ?

outstrike him ? lol khabib sloppy jabs him for 25 minutes ...

outwrestle him ? maybe, even that I am not sure, taking down yancy medeiros is not like taking down fucking khabib, even when the fight goes to the ground, gregor's grappling is so far behing khabib's.

The only path of victory for gregor would be stalling khabib against the cage for 25 minutes, I dont think this is possible.

At least gaethje could defend some takedowns, then he will show his superior striking and his KO power, but with gregor, there are almost 0 threat I believe.

5 finishes in 6 UFC fights.
He has better hands than Mak.

He had his back taken 3 years ago. Mak was TKO on the feet by a BJJ coach 4 years ago.
You can't say one fighter has changed but the other hasn't when both are on big winning streaks. Right?
Lmao at 3 years. 3 years is nothing, we're speaking about a lifetime of submission grappling experience. Islam is coming off a win against a two times ADCC champ in a fight where he spent a good chunk of round 3 in Ramos' guard punching his face. If you don't know who Ramos is, this is a guy who subbed Jeff Monson from the bottom while being at a massive size disadvantage. Gregor has power, but he isn't a good technical striker and Islam's striking defense is one of the best in the UFC, he gets hit less than Khabib, actually. Gregor has never grappled against anyone even remotely close to Islam's level. There's a reason Gregor ducked Islam like the plague.

Lmao at 3 years. 3 years is nothing, we're speaking about a lifetime of submission grappling experience. Islam is coming off a win against a two times ADCC champ in a fight where he spent a good chunk of round 3 in Ramos' guard punching his face. If you don't know who Ramos is, this is a guy who subbed Jeff Monson from the bottom while being at a massive size disadvantage. Gregor has power, but he isn't a good technical striker and Islam's striking defense is one of the best in the UFC, he gets hit less than Khabib, actually. Gregor has never grappled against anyone even remotely close to Islam's level. There's a reason Gregor ducked Islam like the plague.

Where do you come up with Gregor ducked Islam? Haha.
3 years and 4 years isn't pretty similar to you?
I don't care about Ramos. This is MMA and not BJJ
Striking defense, is that because of his head movement or because he fights are grappling?

Listen, you clearly think highly of Islam. You can have that opinion, it doesn't matter to me.
Gregor will be facing Lee(if he makes weight ha) this Sat. and we can go from there after he faces the hardest test of his MMA career.

He may as well call out GSP, because he's not getting that fight either. Hooker would be a realistic call out and a step up in the rankings.

i remember there were people who thought this guy was the next big thing. seems like his fan club died with his hype.

he needs more fights vs quality comp before facing the King.

Back