WMMA Discussion #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is the moderation policy for this thread now 'softer than the softest corners of Reddit'? You'll be pleased to hear then that the best thing for me to do is not waste anyone's time posting in it any more - at all. Not even sure what was wrong with the last one.

See you around in the heavies,
<{1-12}>
Making unsubstantiated PED allegations is forbidden, here and in the heavies.

Tatiana Suarez looked super in getting her second straight submission victory. Andrade gave it her all and closed round one with some effective shots. A few folks in the PbP discussion thought Jessica might get a KO in round two.

Suarez' stand up strategy was smart. Wisely avoided going toe to toe with the power of Andrade. She didn't immediately launch for a takedown in the first minute like she has in the past. She primarily kept Jessica at bay using kicks from southpaw to the body and circling.

In round two it got to the ground and Tatiana patiently used her chain wrestling. It's like she works in slow motion and you see her trying various maneuvers while tightening things up. Eventually sunk in the guillotine for the submission.

Of course I still love both fighters. Hoping Andrade gets some better match ups and back to a winning streak. Post-fight Suarez said she feels she matches up well against Weili, Lemos or anyone.

There are some exciting fights coming up soon. We'll see how they all play out. Hopefully Andrade keeps making money and earning victories. Hopefully Suarez stays healthy and gets another great match up and / or a title shot.

Great stuff from suarez and great to see her getting 50k.
It really didn't look like Andrade showed up with any confidence maybe it's just being KOed and out wrestled before that and suarez rep and I'm not sure if she came in beast mode if it changes the result but she could have at least made suarez sorry for standing so long.

I don't see this being worth a title shot but with another top win suarez will be there. Like others said I think dern vs suarez would be great matchup but there's other choices too I guess.

@Jackonfire @PurpleStorm now that Xuh kinda raised the issue - would be cool to have some info from moderators when a post gets deleted, and why. I mean I think a couple of mine got deleted some time ago when discussing Zhang/Yan prospective fight and only later as a non-US resident/native speaker I was told in another context that what I now assume had been the "offending term" in those posts was NOT a term equal to "englishman" etc. and I kept repeating the mistake :oops:

Certainly softer in the sense that when you made yet another unsubstantiated PED accusation against a fighter, you didn't receive an infraction. Definitely soft on my part, thats true. Its about the 1500th time you've done it over the past 20 years and you still pretend like you don't know what was wrong with your post.

<{1-1}>

the words I used to describe Andrade were the words she herself used to describe the source of her strength. Maybe that was felt somehow unacceptably sarcastic but it's hardly the same as saying f.e. 'fighter X is a dirty roid cheat!' and there are plenty of comments of similar pitch bouncing around all the time, and it wasn't even the main part of an otherwise lengthy post. I'd also describe fighters like Maverick as possessing 'farm girl strength' without it being an accusation of anything in particular (other than maybe smelling strongly of hay). OK I've had more 'direct' remarks about Andrade deleted in the past and I was disrupting a love-in for one of the thread's more popular fighters with some negative vibez so maybe that has something to do with it but every party needs a p00per even this one
<Oku01>

(oddly enough I do feel a little bad seeing her decline nonetheless, as I did with Gadelha who I had my first 1000 times about and who's decline really started to begin when she was battered by Andrade funnily enough...)

It feels unreal to see Tatiana Suarez back in action after so long. She brings a much needed wild card and new blood to the division.

From what I've seen, she's still the same fighter that was mostly neutralized by Nina Nunes in 2019. Drowning top control, very physically strong, yet not dangerous on the feet. Nunes kept a tight grip on her from full guard, and it effectively negated any serious offense Suarez had to offer besides being heavy on top. That being said, I think most strawweights would succumb to her aggressive top control and end up making mistakes on their guard.

I think she mauls Yan Xiaonan, but Zhang and Lemos might take her head off if they can keep it standing. Interesting.

Okay, which one of you is Eric Bischoff in real life? His comments about Ronda's status in WWE are straight from Sherdogger playbook. With a bit more literacy than the UFC Discussion section, so my finger is pointed at this thread .
<{nope}>

"I agree—nothing against Ronda. I don’t know her personally, but eh, it’s been ever since she got there, in my opinion, a lot of buildup and hype," Bischoff said. "I mean, she’s obviously a big personality, very credentialed, and has done many great things. But I’ve never felt like Ronda wanted to be there. I felt like it was a great opportunity for Ronda, and I think Ronda wanted that opportunity, but from day one, I never felt like she wanted to be there. Well, here’s, I hope she’s done. I’ll talk about, for me my perspective. Once I watched Holly Holm ab destroy Ronda, and you saw the fear and weakness, and you saw it in her eyes."

Bischoff continued, "When Ronda got kicked in the head and pounded, she went from being this incredibly cool, badass woman you saw. You could smell the fear in her eyes. That’s how intense it was. She lost her mystique for me at that moment. Maybe too many WWE fans, but that wasn’t a big deal, and she was coming over with that UFC persona. But that mystique stayed once you’ve been exposed as badly as Holly Holm exposed Ronda. That mystique left her in UFC, and she couldn’t bring that over. And that’s not the end of the world. If you can find yourself, if you can find yourself in WWE, if you can find a new character if you could almost allow the audience to forget that you got your ass embarrassingly handed to you and your last fight, you, you can get over that if you embrace what you’re doing. But to me, Ronda kept trying to continue a character that no longer existed because it was exposed, and she didn’t appear to be somebody that was having fun, having fun doing what she was doing. She was going through the motions of doing this, what she needed to do contractually to make as much money as she did. And she was very professional. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not taking anything away from her effort. But something was missing for me when Ronda came over to WWE and me. It was a lack of commitment."

intro-1691178425.webp

So a squash match and a fight I font’s trust to not have a preordained outcome, given what at least one of the fighters has said in the past

So a squash match and a fight I font’s trust to not have a preordained outcome, given what at least one of the fighters has said in the past

Yeah, Carmouche rag-dolls (or did in the past) Macfarlane in training. Zingano with all the damage she took in the Nunes fight should not be fighting Cyborg. Fucking hell. In that fight I am just hoping for a quick finish.

the words I used to describe Andrade were the words she herself used to describe the source of her strength. Maybe that was felt somehow unacceptably sarcastic but it's hardly the same as saying f.e. 'fighter X is a dirty roid cheat!' and there are plenty of comments of similar pitch bouncing around all the time, and it wasn't even the main part of an otherwise lengthy post. I'd also describe fighters like Maverick as possessing 'farm girl strength' without it being an accusation of anything in particular (other than maybe smelling strongly of hay). OK I've had more 'direct' remarks about Andrade deleted in the past and I was disrupting a love-in for one of the thread's more popular fighters with some negative vibez so maybe that has something to do with it but every party needs a p00per even this one
<Oku01>

(oddly enough I do feel a little bad seeing her decline nonetheless, as I did with Gadelha who I had my first 1000 times about and who's decline really started to begin when she was battered by Andrade funnily enough...)
For good or bad, your reputation precedes you when you talk about certain fighters, usually from a certain country. Everyone knows, at least in this thread, what you are alluding too. But the fact remains, Andrade has never failed a drug test, or even been flagged as potentially using some banned substance, over the course of her 12 year, 36 fight professional career. Its just a shitty thing to accuse her of.

From a personal point of view, it would be a shame to lose your contributions to these threads. I often enjoy reading your breakdowns and hope you reconsider. But your choices in the 80's music thread?

kinda-iffy.gif

I kid. I always appreciate your contributions there as well. Lets not carry this conversation over to the new thread. If you want to continue, send me a pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back