WMMA Discussion #29

Moroz by submission. Joanne Wood unable to recover Joanne Calderwood's soul Moroz took back in 2015:
TnFZinn.gif

Sawada will skin Shadowcat and make a pair of fetch Shadowcat Boots to strut around in as she begins her reign of terror in ONE then later (after ONE books her second fight in three years time) the WORLD.
<{JustBleed}>
(Shadowcat is a pretty cool nick though, I hope she does well later and her skin grows back)

Last edited:
Hope JoJo manages to win her retirement fight, which I am not too confident about. However, should not have leaning which is nice.

Hope Barber loses an abysmally boring, but clear, decision.

Stamp interviews Phetjeeja

Stamp : Do you want to fight mma vs me?

Phetjeeja : Sure. I've been casually training a while, maybe I'll make a decision in the future.

Stamp : Want to move up to fight Smilla?

Phetjeeja : MMA vs Stamp pls

Congratz to Joanna for getting into the Hall of Fame. Amazingly she has been geting a lot of praise. WMMA threads are usually flooded by WMMA haters but the ones I seen was pure love for her career. As a Joanna fan from her Rosi Sexton fight this makes me feel great.

<GinJuice>

Last edited:
This action packed weekend delivered with good fights, bittersweet retirements, and a changing of the guard. Honor the old and ring in the new.

In the UFC, Joanne Wood retired on a high note. Close fight against Maryna Moroz right up until the latter half of round 3 when Wood let it all out there, securing a knockdown and a split decision victory. Great way to go out on back to back victories. Wishing Joanne a bright future.

Also in UFC Maycee Barber used her dirty boxing and hellbows for a proper UD over Katlyn Cerminara (formerly Chookagian). Kaitlyn was game but Maycee bull rushed to close distance and made it nasty.. Say what you want about Maycee but she can fight. It may not be a pretty. She can win ugly. Barber has improved her wrestling, grappling and clinch work. She listened to her coaches who urged her to press forward using jabs and combinations. Barber will move up in the rankings, maybe soon fighting someone near title contention.

The ONE FC all women card Fight Night 20 had some bangers. Check it out its YouTube channel or amazon prime if you didn't catch it live. Two fights were particularly noteworthy.

First, Yau Pui Yu vs. Lara Fernandez. Fernandez is a good technical point fighter who uses distance control to score. She prepared for the wrecking ball style of Yu but by round 3 couldn't stop it. Yu charges forward with reckless disregard for technique or traditional pacing. Check it out if you like a brawl.

Finally, Janet Todd vs. Petchjeeja Lukjaoporongto. Kickboxing legend Todd drew the younger KO artist Petchjeeja for her retirement fight, and it delivered. Janet would not go quietly into the good night. She went blazing right up to the end. Petchjeeja demonstrated why she has a phenomenal record with her violent pedal to the metal approach. She rightfully earned the UD. Kudos to both warriors. Janet Todd retired on her own terms with the fight itself and with the moving closing ceremony. She again showed why she has earned lifelong respect from fighters and fans of Kickboxing and Muay Thai. Wishing Janet joy and happiness in her retirement. Hope we see her around as she has wisdom and knowledge to share from her stellar career.

This action packed weekend delivered in terms of good fights, bittersweet retirements, and a changing of the guuard. Honor the old and ring in the new.

In the UFC, Joanne Wood retired on a high note. Close fight against Maryna Moroz right up until the latter half of round 3 when Wood let it all out there, securing a knockdown and a split decision victory. Great way to go out on back to back victories. Wishing Joanne a bright future.

Also in UFC Maycee Barber used her dirty boxing and hellbows for a proper UD over Katlyn Cerminara (formerly Chookagian). Kaitlyn was game in her final pro fight but Maycee used her bull rushing effectively to keep closing distance and won every round. Say what you want about Maycee but this woman can fight. It may not be a pretty fight. But she can win ugly. Again wishing Katlyn all the best in her retirement. Barber has greatly improved her wrestling, grappling and clinch work. She listened well to her coaches this time around. They wanted her to keep pressing forward and use jabs and combinations. And that she did. Barber will move up in the rankings and should soon be fighting someone floating around near title contention.

The ONE FC all women card Fight Night 20 had some absolute bangers and amazing fights. Check it out on their YouTube channel or amazon prime if you didn't catch it live. Seriously every fight was awesome. Two fights were particularly noteworthy.

First, Yau Pui Yu vs. Lara Fernandez. Fernandez is a good technical point fighter, super game and respectful and uses good distance control to score. I was rooting for her and she arrived prepared for the wrecking ball style of Yu. Prepared but as the vent ground on, unable to stop it! Yu just keeps coming forward with reckless disregard for safety, technique or anything resembling traditional pacing. Insane fight, by all means check it out if you like seeing a brawl.

Finally. my favorite fight of the weekend and among the best of this year. Janet Todd vs. Petchjeeja Lukjaoporongto. Muay Thai legend Todd drew the younger KO artist badass Petchjeeja as her retirement fight, and it delivered in action and more. Janet would not go away quietly into that good night. She would not be knocked out she went all the way right up to the end. Petchjeeja demonstrated why she has such an incredible record and why she is feared and respected for her violent go for broke pedal to the metal style. She rightfully earned the UD and for real kudos to both warriors. Janet Todd retired on her own terms with the fight itself and with the moving closing ceremony provong once again why she earned eternal respect from fighters, local fans and worldwide fans alike. Wishing the legend Janet Todd joy and happiness in her retirement. Hope we keep seeing her around. She has a lot of wisdom and knowledge to share from her amazing career.
Cerminara's retiring too?

I am eternally gonna grouch about Barber being a dick after losing to Roxy. Did not watch that fight, she is one of the fighters I utterly avoid due to that, no matter who she is fighting. Petty, especially as there is absolutely 0% chance that Roxy herself would approve my grudge. But it is what it is. Sad she won.

JoJo vs. Moroz was entertaining in rounds 2 and 3, and a fine way to finalize her exit. First Calder retired, and now Wood. (I am truly sorry for that) The spinning backfist was awesome.

Jessica Eye and Andrade showed how to beat Chookagian years ago - just go at her and punch her since she doesn't have the power to do any real damage, this was the model that Barber followed to pickup her win. It doesn't take all that much skill, just gotta be aggressive and willing to eat a bunch of strikes. I didn't know if Barber would point fight or come in with her 3rd round aggression for the entire fight, turns out she was there to bang and not air punch and her aggression and physicality too much for Chookagian to handle. It's funny how opponents keep getting sucked into Katlyn's point fighting game, everyone who does so loses, bumrushing wins more often than not.

Moroz continues to puzzle me, every time I think she's getting her shit together she starts punching air from 5' away and fighting like she's afraid to get hit, it's like her training isn't quite sticking under pressure or something. And that was the story of her fight against JoJo, there were times when she was doing well by pressuring JoJo and making the fight dirty, but she spent too much time tied up in the clinch where it was pretty even or on the outside where she was mostly punching air. Also kicks. Kicks and clinch work won that fight for JoJo, and Maryna's lack of kicks along with her air punching conceded the long range fight to Wood. She may be the taller boxer, but Maryna's going up against someone who isn't a takedown threat, she's gotta kick back and use all her weapons.

Also, the all women ONE Championship card on Friday was awesome, I actually liked that one more than UFC 299. I'll write up a post on that one when I have a bit more time.

ONE: Grandjean vs Souza was a fun scrap. Nothing standout, but both ladies brought the action.

The size difference definitely showed in Radzuan vs Sawada. Radzuan looked huge next to Sawada, who had visibly bulked up. Radzuan had her in trouble more than once in the first. Then, the first round ended, and Sawada completely took over. Nice win for her.

Obviously, inactivity is going to make it harder for fighters to maintain weight. ONE gonna ONE.

Moroz could have/should have beaten JoJo, but she kept selling out the mid range by allowing the clinch, or stayed outside too long. Also, almost getting finished by JoJo in 2024 is not a good look. Moroz needs to decide if she wants to be a fighter, or full time model. Can’t part time being a fighter, especially now that she’s on a losing streak.

CFFC had some good ladies bouts. Serena DeJesus got a gnarly finish via strikes to the body, while the younger Martins sister looks to be legit, possibly better than her sister.

Sadly, the a]rare Asian bantamweight title fight at Double G got canceled when Hcerry Ann Lomacang ran into visa issues

Also, PFL dropped the full lineup for rd 1 of the flyweight tournament:

Surprise, surprise, Dakota Ditcheva got the likely easiest bout, while two fighters who should be favorites have to face each other

Something cute/ interesting that happened recently:

Momoko Yamazaki, Kyoka “Chibisai” Minagawa and “Princess” Satoko Shinashi training together recently, ahead of Deep Jewels 44 on the 24th. It’s so unusual to see three microweights training together, that Gong Kakutogi, a combat sports publication that’s been in business since 1985, wrote a small piece about it:

Kyoka has faced both of the other two, but Yamazaki and Shinashi have never met in the cage. Kyoka recently had a feature from some Japanese channel:

Here’s Chihiro Sawada’s post fight from ONE on Friday:

Deep Osaka Impact is this weekend, with a number of ladies bouts. Here’s the event trailer:

Here’s one just for Arisa Matsuda vs Madonna the Rocket. Matsuda is the current DJ Strawweight champ. This is a non title bout in her home town:

Deep Jewels 44 is next weekend, with an Atomweight title headliner between champ Si-Yoon Park, and the challenger, Rizin super atomweight champ Seika Izawa:

Allycia Rodrigues mentions she's looking to fight mma too.

Here’s one just for Arisa Matsuda vs Madonna the Rocket. Matsuda is the current DJ Strawweight champ. This is a non title bout in her home town:

I got excited when I saw "the rocket". Which weirdo is this ?!?! Ok. This girl was on the first Thai national kickboxing team, has won several bjj competitions, competed in national wrestling events, and teaches karate... and it appears she's not good at any of those things. It's amazing actually.

She should also have a loss to Yang Xueying from July 2023. Some weird Asian university mma event, probably amatuer (but it was after those pro fights). The Deep clip shows footage of an amateur fight from some of those short lived tmmaf events that Noelle Grandjean and the Rose? the Rocket started in.

Paweena should have a pro win on her record, as her loss to Luknam was a mini tournament finals (and tapology has Looknam/Luknam two different girls in different sports melded as one person lol). I can't remember now, but there was some fuckery with opponent changes on that first Legend FC 1 event, and tapology went with the original names or something. I think Watsapinya Kaewkhong has a win on her profile that should be for Madaonna Rocket/Paweena. To make shit more confusing, Paweena also goes by K-Kaew.

Last edited:
Back