Would Francis Ngannou beat Andre The Giant in an actual fight?

169 lbs Daiju Takase vs 600 lbs Emmanuel Yarborough

lmao. the tiny guy was just running away the whole time. when the sumo guy was on top, he could just lay on top (600 lbs but his coordination sucks) until the other guy dies

reason big guy lost was because he only went for legs, not crushing the entire upper body / lungs / head for strangulation

do you realistically think you (or any 250 lb heavyweight) could survive if a 600 lb whale (man or woman) was fully on top of you?

do you realistically think you (or any 250 lb heavyweight) could survive if a 600 lb whale (man or woman) was fully on top of you?
Probably not, which is why you want to avoid the fight going in that direction.

Oh boy. This is one of my favorite topics. Probably because, indeed, we have gotten to see a lot of these "freakshow" fights play out in Pride, and it seems to be one of the largest misconceptions in fighting in the public eye. So it's hard to know where to even begin. I'm going to just put my hat out there that I think any 155 top fighter, even maybe 145, handily beats most/if not all giants. You assume it'd be like a drunken bar fight, where they just square up and start swinging or sloppy grappling. That literally defeats the entire purpose of being a trained fighter. What it'd really be like, especially if there's a significant size difference, is that the smaller fighter would just evade and make the big guy work to catch him, which invariably ends up with him gassing within a minute. I don't recommend you look this up, because you'd literally be witnessing a murder, but there's a video of an average sized MMA guy fighting a big bodybuilder in a parking lot. The MMA fighter was literally charged with homicide, because he went too far. And how did he drop the big guy? Just kiting, and eventually winging a literal 360 wheel kick type thing as the big guy ran into it. Would a trained fighter fall for that? Forget falling for it. He had no awareness he could even get dropped.

So, then, you could at least pit trained fighter vs. trained giant. Someone posted Fedor vs Hong Man Choi, which is a good example, but he was/is literal heavyweight goat. Here's Minowaman, a middleweight, also fighting and besting Hong Man Choi!

Minowaman was famous for fighting giants. He didn't always win, but he often did.

The truth is, it's much easier to pick out average sized men who beat giants than giants who actually had any success in the ring. Being exceptionally large is NOT an advantage. You have Hong Man Choi, Butterbean arguably, Bob Sapp. Bob Sapp is an interesting one, because if you see his fight with Big Nog, before he started throwing fights, he was legitimately ferocious. Which leads me to believe, as best I've witnessed, 6'5 329 pounds (Sapp's supposed stats that fight) is the "upper limit" on somebody actually being athletic enough to pose a threat nearly everywhere. And that physique is 99.9% unattainable without heavy PEDs. Sapp seemed to have no training, but the natural ability to throw a punch, and get aggressive. But he couldn't take a punch. 220 pound Cro-Cop broke his orbital and fighting spirit with a single shot.

Here, I think, is where one of the biggest misconceptions comes into play:

don't laugh. ye, these guys suck at fighting but all it takes is one shitty punch to knockout/kill a man

The truth is, a lot of people seem to have no idea how to actually, instinctively throw a decent punch. There's talent involved, and other factors. So if you don't have a Sapp, imagine what adding raw bulk does to your ability to actually mobilize your kinetic chain, aka deliver force via your body mass x speed. A 50 pound arm punch is squat compared to a 200 pound man hurtling himself fist first into a vulnerable spot, like the chin. You don't have to be huge to put somebody out cold. An actually small fighter could conceivably even win the fight with something simple as a trip. IMO, being big past a certain point is just a detriment to fighting.

I forgot someone. Semmy Schilt might be the most successful giant-sized fighter to have done it. But, obviously, he was also very well-trained! In kickboxing

Oh boy. This is one of my favorite topics. Probably because, indeed, we have gotten to see a lot of these "freakshow" fights play out in Pride, and it seems to be one of the largest misconceptions in fighting in the public eye. So it's hard to know where to even begin. I'm going to just put my hat out there that I think any 155 top fighter, even maybe 145, handily beats most/if not all giants. You assume it'd be like a drunken bar fight, where they just square up and start swinging or sloppy grappling. That literally defeats the entire purpose of being a trained fighter. What it'd really be like, especially if there's a significant size difference, is that the smaller fighter would just evade and make the big guy work to catch him, which invariably ends up with him gassing within a minute. I don't recommend you look this up, because you'd literally be witnessing a murder, but there's a video of an average sized MMA guy fighting a big bodybuilder in a parking lot. The MMA fighter was literally charged with homicide, because he went too far. And how did he drop the big guy? Just kiting, and eventually winging a literal 360 wheel kick type thing as the big guy ran into it. Would a trained fighter fall for that? Forget falling for it. He had no awareness he could even get dropped.

So, then, you could at least pit trained fighter vs. trained giant. Someone posted Fedor vs Hong Man Choi, which is a good example, but he was/is literal heavyweight goat. Here's Minowaman, a middleweight, also fighting and besting Hong Man Choi!

Minowaman was famous for fighting giants. He didn't always win, but he often did.

The truth is, it's much easier to pick out average sized men who beat giants than giants who actually had any success in the ring. Being exceptionally large is NOT an advantage. You have Hong Man Choi, Butterbean arguably, Bob Sapp. Bob Sapp is an interesting one, because if you see his fight with Big Nog, before he started throwing fights, he was legitimately ferocious. Which leads me to believe, as best I've witnessed, 6'5 329 pounds (Sapp's supposed stats that fight) is the "upper limit" on somebody actually being athletic enough to pose a threat nearly everywhere. And that physique is 99.9% unattainable without heavy PEDs. Sapp seemed to have no training, but the natural ability to throw a punch, and get aggressive. But he couldn't take a punch. 220 pound Cro-Cop broke his orbital and fighting spirit with a single shot.

The truth is, a lot of people seem to have no idea how to actually, instinctively throw a decent punch. There's talent involved, and other factors. So if you don't have a Sapp, imagine what adding raw bulk does to your ability to actually mobilize your kinetic chain, aka deliver force via your body mass x speed. A 50 pound arm punch is squat compared to a 200 pound man hurtling himself fist first into a vulnerable spot, like the chin. You don't have to be huge to put somebody out cold. An actually small fighter could conceivably even win the fight with something simple as a trip. IMO, being big past a certain point is just a detriment to fighting.

I forgot someone. Semmy Schilt might be the most successful giant-sized fighter to have done it. But, obviously, he was also very well-trained! In kickboxing

great analysis.

be honest though --- would you feel scared of fighting an angry shaq in a parking lot? (as old and slow as he is)

i think most people would STILL be hesitant to fight a giant, even knowing that most of them are shit at fighting. that's how i gauge the threat factor of an untrained shitty fighting giant vs. a world-class above-average sized fighter.

also, the best 155 lb in the world (khabib or islam - 5'10") can't even reach the face of a giant (7'2" or above). if they go for a takedown (and somehow succeed), i do not think they would survive the weight of being on the bottom of a 350 lb for a sustained period of time, let alone throat strangulation / eye gouging from gigantic hands

Probably not, which is why you want to avoid the fight going in that direction.

being trapped in a tiny ufc octagon, it is not that hard to grab a hold of even the most evasive fighters even if you are a giant.

look at ciryl gane --- still got wrestled down to mat by ngannou
look at jiri --- still got wrestled down to mat by glover
look at adesenya --- still got wrestled down to mat by jan
look at usman --- still got wrestled down to mat by leon
look at oliveira --- still got wrestled down to mat by makhachev
look at volkanovski --- still got wrestled down to mat by ortega

if you are trapped in an octagon with a heavy giant (with moderate coordination) --- you are going down to the ground.
the only exception is if you literally just run around in circles, but then that wouldn't be fighting; it would be a game of tag

once you are on the ground with a heavy giant, it's pretty much game over. no way you are surviving while being underneath someone 350 lbs + for a long time. they don't even need to strike you or submit; just lay and pray or strangle neck until death

Imagine a prime Andre doing that slap fight thing today. Now that would be a sight to behold.

Dude come on. The legendary Super Hluk champion is the worlds greatest giant killer. Bad example imo.

Fedor destroyed some 3 guys like that, there was a sumo wrestler in UFC 1, there was a russian boxer who was basically a giant (and a decent boxer) whot lost to a superior normal sized boxer.

what I feel like most people get wrong is this:
-being bigger and stronger, like a bodybuilder or a strongman, is a big advantage in a fight, it's just that being a trained professional who is regularly fighting and beating other professionals is an even bigger advantage.
-any top UFC fighter starting from WW division would beat pro bodybuilders, but a casual who takes 2 Muay Thai classes a week and has some sparring experience wouldnt. For most people who practice Martial Arts it's like an ego thing "those guys may look huge but I could beat them becauase I have a karate red belt" or whataver, when most likely they wouldnt.

to sum it up: A pro bodybuilder would beat 99% of the people who practice martial arts. However, a pro UFC fighter is on the top 1% of talent among people who practice martial arts.

No rules, anything allowed. I have a hard time seeing the best UFC fighters in the world winning against supermassive people in a real street/bar fight, just due to sheer size alone.

some examples:
- andre the giant
- omos 7'3" WWE nigerian
- olivier richters 7'2" dutch bodybuilder
- shaq (in his prime)
- hafthor (when he was 450 lbs world's strongest man)
- sumo wrestlers

some ways to victory benefitting the bigger guy :
- crotch shots
- laying (suffocating) opponent to death
- crushing head / ripping face or eyes out / choking
- back of head shots

You could have the grappling skills of khabib/islam/gordon ryan and the boxing skills of tyson fury/mike tyson
but at the end of the day, you will probably still lose to the bigger guy (even ufc heavyweights)
I dont see anyone beating Hulk Hogan because he would start shaking and getting madder each time you hit him.

I'm sure Francis can beat a dead guy

Back