Would you say Taylor Swift is now bigger than Elvis?

I'm not an Elvis fan, and I'm not a Taylor swift fan.

That said, to me this is like comparing Michael Jackson to one of those Island Boys. It's not even close. I have never even heard a Taylor Swift song that I am aware of.

Absolutely, she's a worldwide megastar to everyone regardless of race, creed, gender, nationality or religion, Elvis is still important to a few old white dudes who will all be dead soon
I don't think the point is to how well known Elvis is nowadays in comparison to Swift in her prime so much as its a comparison of Elvis at his apex compared to Swift now in her current apex.

Probably because now there is a better chance of global exposure. Social Media, regular media and the internet allow you to become bigger. And not to mention a larger global population.

Now I think what Elvis reached was more impressive during his time considering less opportunities

Elvis taugh people about, uh, 'compassion, cooperation, determination, duty, friendship, honor, logic, love, loyalty, AND self-reliance'?

I'm calling BS on every one of those claims. for Elvis or any of the others in that picture. tell me how Ray fkin Charles taught you about logic, go on. ffs.

especially w/r.t self-reliance. he couldn't even get himself off a fkin toilet seat FFS. didn't write his own songs.

thats one of the dumbest memes i have ever seen in my life.

Lol sherdog seems obsessed with Swift

Based on last thread (was Swift surpassing Madonna?) from outside seems TS is something americans are bombarded with 24/7 and take as personal outrage if you simply say elsewhere she's not as popular as some other american popstars, never got that many triggered replies on a single post lmao

Would you say that Taylor Swift as an artist and international ICON is now bigger globally than Elvis?
Hell no.

Taylor Swift is just a good singer / songwriter. She is reasonably pretty (which helps) but not stunning. Interviews she has had a team of people spend like 1 hour+ on movie-level Hair and Make-up. I have done model shoots, plenty, so I have some experience.
Miss Swift is the current darling of teenage girls, whoop-di-doo. 20years ago it wes Britney Spears when she was very cute, commercially v successful, and before she went off the rails and hit some mental issues and allegedly some drug problems. In the mid to late 80s and 90s it was Madonna who was a v big global music star.

Presley's music career spanned 24years, played guitar and piano aside from his vocals obviously, he was also a movie star, he was awarded the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom (posthumously), broke all kinds of album sales records (which I think he still holds today). Presley changed the face of music in the 60s and 70s, a genuine cultural icon, had record sales in pop / rock / gospel / country, he was globally revered, and probably almost everyone who had a radio or a TV or a newspaper had heard of Elvis Presley.

Come back in 20yrs and see how Ms.Swift is doing. Nothing against her she seems like a nice person and I hope her wealth and fame doesn't mess with her head eventually and turn her into a diva or anything bad like substance abuse. I think she is extremely level-headed and that's a good thing. If you asked HER if she thought she was globally bigger than Elvis Presley I am sure she'd say "are you kidding me?" or something. A bit of humility is never a bad thing.

Will anyone even remember Ms.Swift 47years after she has passed away? It is highly doubtful.
It has been 47years (almost) since Elvis Presley died and he is still a massive cultural figure and a music legend.

Last edited:
Hell no.

Taylor Swift is just a good singer / songwriter. She is reasonably pretty (which helps) but not stunning. Interviews she has had a team of people spend like 1 hour+ on movie-level Hair and Make-up. I have done model shoots, plenty, so I have some experience.
Miss Swift is the current darling of teenage girls, whoop-di-doo. 20years ago it wes Britney Spears when she was very cute, commercially v successful, and before she went off the rails and hit some mental issues and allegedly some drug problems.

Presley's music career spanned 24years, played guitar and piano aside from his vocals obviously, he was also a movie star, he was awarded the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom (posthumously), broke all kinds of album sales records (which I think he still holds today). Presley changed the face of music in the 60s and 70s, a genuine cultural icon, had record sales in pop / rock / gospel / country, he was globally revered, and probably almost everyone who had a radio or a TV or a newspaper had heard of Elvis Presley.

Come back in 20yrs and see how Ms.Swift is doing. Nothing against her she seems like a nice person and I hope her wealth and fame doesn't mess with her head eventually and turn her into a diva or anything bad like substance abuse. I think she is extremely level-headed and that's a good thing. If you asked HER if she thought she was globally bigger than Elvis Presley I am sure she'd say "are you kidding me?" or something. A bit of humility is never a bad thing.
I think you're really out of touch. You don't need to be a Swiftie stan to realize she has transcended teeny-bopper idol flavor of the month many years ago. You're pretending like she's just arrived on the scene and she still has to prove herself when her career already spans 20 years at the top, so her longevity is out of the question. It's not that outlandish that she was going to make music aimed at teenagers when she was an actual teenager herself, but she is 34 now and her music has changed accordingly.

Not really

At the time most people loved Elvis

Swifties are a bunch of brainwashed teenagers, not that Elvis fans weren't either

I think you're really out of touch. You don't need to be a Swiftie stan to realize she has transcended teeny-bopper idol flavor of the month many years ago. You're pretending like she's just arrived on the scene and she still has to prove herself when her career already spans 20 years at the top, so her longevity is out of the question. It's not that outlandish that she was going to make music aimed at teenagers when she was an actual teenager herself, but she is 34 now and her music has changed accordingly.
Hmm maybe you're right.
I am reasonably old, in my 50s, and I have seen a lot of music legends, I remember the day that Presley died in 1977, I watchewd news broadcasters interview people who gathered outside Graceland, I remember the exactwords they said, even 47years later. I remember the death of John Lennon too in 1980 and interviews with influential music figures & what they thought of his loss. Madonna was huge back in the day. I was alive when the Beatles were an active group but too young to remember that. I do remember being woken up to watch one of the Apollo moon landings (I was very young for that but I remember it).

I just don't think Taylor Swift is at the level of Presley or the Beatles in any way. But....others will have different view on that and that's 100% ok. Music and popularity is like that.....one man's meat is another man's poison.

I guess the only way to know would be to do a test: Ask the entire global population 20yrs after Elvis started his music career (so....1974) if they knew who Elvis Presley was and name 3 of his most famous songs.
Do the same with Taylor Swift, 20yrs after she started (I just checked and it was 2005 she signed a 1st record deal), so that's 19yrs ago, and ask the entire global population if they know who Taylor Swift is and name 3 of her most famous songs.

I can already guarantee you that Elvis would "win" that test. It is not possible to actually conduct this test since the 1st singer died 47yrs ago, but the point is valid IMHO.

EDIT#1 : Actually ....thinking about it....someone COULD conduct this test today (ignore the fact one artist is dead) and ask the entire global population if they know who Elvis Presley is, name 3 songs, and do the same for Taylor Swift. Even TODAY I think Elvis would "win" almost half a Century after he breathed his last.
EDIT#2 : approx how old are you if I may ask? Were you alive in the Beatles era or the Presley era? That is a good indicator otherwise these names are just something you read about in a newspaper or online or a magazine article. Being alive in these eras gives a proper perspective of fame, notoriety, cultural impact etc.
- I was alive in the Presley era so that gives me some validity to comment on it, more so than someone who was born after Presley died.

Last edited:
I know Elvis was mega huge in USA, not sure how big he was globally, seeing that social media was not around...let alone global news and cable. A lot of Asia was recovering or at war either within Asia or with USA like Vietnam. Was almost no media exchange with USSR.
But I would i agree that Swift got bigger globally than Elvis did

I know Elvis was mega huge in USA, not sure how big he was globally, seeing that social media was not around...let alone global news and cable. A lot of Asia was recovering or at war either within Asia or with USA like Vietnam. Was almost no media exchange with USSR.
But I would i agree that Swift got bigger globally than Elvis did
Given his popularity and the demand for him to perform outside of America, fans believe that there must have been some pressing reason stopping Elvis from leaving U.S. soil.

For decades since his 1977 death, rumors have circulated that Elvis had a fear of flying which kept him from touring overseas. And as it turns out, sources have confirmed that he did have negative feelings towards flying, at least early on in his career. But was this the reason he never toured abroad?

By the numbers probably.

In 1970 there were roughly 4 billion people on earth and most probably didn't speak english, have a TV or regular access to a radio.

In 2024 there are 7 billion people. English is the most spoken language on earth (mostly as a second language) and subsaharan africa has access to youtube.

She probably commands far less of the overall cultural discourse in the west though. The internet democrotized media in a way where people's attention is very diluted. Elvis never had to compete with PokemonGo or instagram videos of kids eating tide pods.

Back