Would you trust the ESEE4 as a tactical / combat knife?

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
The ESEE4 is a bushcrafting knife, that is clear to me, but it was the closest, legal thing I could find to a more "combaty" profile. What do you guys think? I looks like a pretty decent slashing blade, but the point is not really stabby.

Obviously, a Ka-Bar or Fairbarnes Sykes is a better combat knife. However, these knives are illegal to carry where I live due to both the length of the blade but also the general purpose. Even a SOG PUP is illegal to carry here, just as an illustration.

IDK how to upload pics.

<DCrying>
Boom
esee-4-knife-review-1200x800.jpg

From what Im reading about this knife it seems pretty generic and overpriced.
Its also kinda ugly.
Also from some of the reviews Ive read they say the handle is uncomfortable which is a big NO to me but I think it can be swapped out. Id also have to try holding one first though since opinions on the handles can vary greatly from person to person.

Btw if youre really adamant on getting an esee knife the 3 seems to be highly recommended over the 4

The 3 seems very small though. I got the longest blade I could get according to local knife laws.

From what Im reading about this knife it seems pretty generic and overpriced.
Its also kinda ugly.
Also from some of the reviews Ive read they say the handle is uncomfortable which is a big NO to me but I think it can be swapped out. Id also have to try holding one first though since opinions on the handles can vary greatly from person to person.

That's interesting you would say that. The ratings on this knife are excellent and I bought it based on a "can't go wrong with this knife" approach? I read only excellent things about the ESEEs basic models, including on this board....

That's interesting you would say that. The ratings on this knife are excellent and I bought it based on a "can't go wrong with this knife" approach? I read only excellent things about the ESEEs basic models, including on this board....
Yes most of their models are better reviewed.
I feel like you just want a validation of your choice.

Yes most of their models are better reviewed.
I feel like you just want a validation of your choice.

Actually my question is not really about the choice of that knife per se, but more as its suitability as an improvised combat knife if it had to be, given its design as a bushcrafting knife.

If you are right and the handle sucks I will return it obviously. Unfortunately it is very hard to hold good knife where I live. If I go to an outdoors store the choice will be shit, as well as the average quality.

i mean, compared to what? it looks like a shitty combat knife to me, but if it's comparison is a swiss army knife, then... yeah, sure. you've mentioned other knives you can't legally carry, but not what you can/what the law is.

i have an old ek knife, though (and prefer that type). not that i ever use or carry it.

The 3 seems very small though. I got the longest blade I could get according to local knife laws.

What are the laws where you live, what makes a knife illegal.

I have a Toor Serpent as a tactical knife.

serpe.jpg

Overall Length 8.25"
Blade Length 3.75"
Handle Length 4.5"
Handle Material Black G10
Steel CPM3V
Blade Thickness 0.1875"
Blade Hardness 59-61 Rockwell
Weight 6.7 oz

"True Bushcraft nerds" might get a little uppity about calling the non-Camplore knives, "real bushcraft knives" and classify them more as "survival knives". [/portstir]

What I've "learned" over the years is that bushcraft "snobs" look for almost all-day woodworking capabilities, translation: "comfort".

Edit: Are you from Quebec? Knives are "controlled" federally, through the Criminal Code; design doesn't matter as much as intent. There may be a local, municipal by-law where you live, but it doesn't supercede the Criminal Code.

i mean, compared to what? it looks like a shitty combat knife to me, but if it's comparison is a swiss army knife, then... yeah, sure. you've mentioned other knives you can't legally carry, but not what you can/what the law is.

i have an old ek knife, though (and prefer that type). not that i ever use or carry it.

Laws for fixed blades are < 12cm blade and no "fighting blade". So no dagger whatsoever for example. The SOG Pup for example is 12,1 cm blade and clearly looks like a tactical knife. Both these criteria mean legal troubles.

What are the laws where you live, what makes a knife illegal.

I have a Toor Serpent as a tactical knife.

serpe.jpg

Overall Length 8.25"
Blade Length 3.75"
Handle Length 4.5"
Handle Material Black G10
Steel CPM3V
Blade Thickness 0.1875"
Blade Hardness 59-61 Rockwell
Weight 6.7 oz

The laws are blade < 4.74 inches (12cm) and no tactical blade.
What you are showing could or could not be OK in the eyes of a judge. I guess it should be OK overall.

Combat knife LOL
Oh you are going to hipster flex on semantics? What's wrong with a guy obviously not well versed in knives asking about a bushcraft knife used as a combat knife?
Sorry if the topic seems ridiculous but I lack knowledge on the matter, hence the thread.

"True Bushcraft nerds" might get a little uppity about calling the non-Camplore knives, "real bushcraft knives" and classify them more as "survival knives". [/portstir]

What I've "learned" over the years is that bushcraft "snobs" look for almost all-day woodworking capabilities, translation: "comfort".

Edit: Are you from Quebec? Knives are "controlled" federally, through the Criminal Code; design doesn't matter as much as intent. There may be a local, municipal by-law where you live, but it doesn't supercede the Criminal Code.

OK so the ESEE4 is a not really a pure bushcrafting knife but a survival knife?
Do you think it would make a shitty combat knife?

No I live in Germany. As silly as it sounds, blade design is important here. Aggressive looking knives are illegal to carry. Yeah I know.

OK so the ESEE4 is a not really a pure bushcrafting knife but a survival knife?
Do you think it would make a shitty combat knife?

No I live in Germany. As silly as it sounds, blade design is important here. Aggressive looking knives are illegal to carry. Yeah I know.
Definitions change all the time, niches expand and contract. In general, the idea of a "survival knife" is that you're lost in the wilderness, only have that knife and need to make a shelter and fire. Being robust, "versatile" and require minimal maintenance are generally favourable traits. At the end of the day, the idea of one-tool survival is kinda ridiculous when you think about it.

Bushcraft, tends to focus more on woodworking and creating primitive tools. Great, you built a shelter and a fire with your survival knife, now you want to make pot holders or do other finer tasks; but your 1/4" thick survival blade doesn't excell at it and you've got blisters on your soft hands. That's where the bushcraft knife comes in.

As for combat and self defense; your guess is as good as mine. I own "tactical blades" but I don't knife fight and have only participated in the most introductory of lessons.

Back