Social would you want to live 40 years in the past, future, or now ?

Correct, they didn't have the "career opportunities", nor did they need them. Turns out, trying to turn women into shitty versions of men didn't make them happier, and instead did the opposite. Who would have thought doing taxed labor for some shitty corporation to live alone and pay bills isn't actually all that satisfying? They always had the option to work, but now it's a requirement with double the workforce and housing prices skyrocketing with more people living alone for longer. Even now with all the "career opportunity", women still marry across and up because they don't want to be the breadwinner.

Citation needed on "rape was the norm". At no point were the majority of women or even close getting raped to call that "the norm".

Lol at this backwards women should be in the kitchen take. Nostradumbass indeed.

Lol at this backwards women should be in the kitchen take. Nostradumbass indeed.
Solid rebuttal. Yeah, "it's backwards, bro" and "well maybe they're unhappy because they have a therapist" are super compelling arguments that totally erase the data that women are less happy every decade, liberal women are significantly less happy than conservative women, and a nearly $50 billion fertility industry of women paying tens of thousands of dollars for the unlikely chance to take back spending their 20s and 30s chasing a dumb career and still have a family. But nevermind, we have a single guy here that no women have any respect for who's decided "it's backwards, bro" and "it's because they have therapists" are good reasons to ignore all of that and tell women to just pop some more antidepressants and get their asses back to work.

I would argue what he's really railing against is how the position of much of the workforce has declined as free market capitalism has been allowed to run rampant.

Capitalists most likely did view having women join the workforce more as a method of depressing wages but then again women getting the vote was viewed as a method of suppressing the black population of the US by parts of the establishment, doesn't mean it was wrong.

In a society with stronger protection for workers the depressing of wages caused by a larger workforce need not have been nearly so significant as it was.

The past for sure. Much simpler time, not as many crazies running around

Always the future.

Regardless, I have no reason to believe that 2064 will be less chaotic then 2024.

Let's make it 400 years into the future.

40 years ago women didn't have anywhere near the career opportunities they do now, sexism was rampant, rape and sexually assaulted was the norm. Part of me believes this happiness stat is inflated by people today being more self introspective and actually thinking about their feelings. Every woman has a therapist these days.
<WellThere>

Correct, they didn't have the "career opportunities", nor did they need them. Turns out, trying to turn women into shitty versions of men didn't make them happier, and instead did the opposite. Who would have thought doing taxed labor for some shitty corporation to live alone and pay bills isn't actually all that satisfying? They always had the option to work, but now it's a requirement with double the workforce and housing prices skyrocketing with more people living alone for longer. Even now with all the "career opportunity", women still marry across and up because they don't want to be the breadwinner.

Citation needed on "rape was the norm". At no point were the majority of women or even close getting raped to call that "the norm".
I mean it was easier to rape your partner back then than it is now

Living in 2024 vs. 1984. Easy answer - 2024 for sure. The world is such a better place than it was 40 years ago.

2024 vs. 2064. More difficult answer. The trend lines for civilization are pointing upwards. 2064 is likely to be a much better place than 2024. My fears would be climate change (akin to people in the 80's rightly concerned about large scale nuclear war) and being out of place (I am assuming that I would be transported there as is. 40 years could be a lot of change to take in at once. I could be like some of the angry boomers on Sherdog who are so out of synch with life that they cannot enjoy a mainstream movie without sobbing). Medical advancements mean that I will likely be able to live longer in 2064 than I will in my current timeline.

It's 2064 and everybody is working in an Amazon warehouse. China now out produces the United States and your job is to service those commies.

I guess if you value stability versus the unknown, it's in your best interest to live in the '80s

40 yrs in the past is 1984, i am 20 now and always glamored the 90s and early 00s so i'll take that shit.

Right now. I mean, I would love to see the future, but I don't know if it would be good or not. And 40 years in the past means I would grew up a little earlier than my father. No, I don't want that at all. Now I wouldn't mind 10-15 years earlier as I liked the 80s and 90s, and it would be kinda cool to be an adult in those eras instead of a young kid.

i don't see a problem with the workforce having both genders working the same jobs. not everyone wants to stay at home and cook/clean all day either with no career trajectory/income/status at work to climb up too....more people want to get an education too instead of settling down in their early 20s, its not a good or bad thing. people should be allowed to do whatever they want with their lives. you seem terribly cynical....

and most people marry within their social class too....

Past easy

But if we reach cyberpunk like society in 40 years future then why not

We will get so close in my lifetime sigh

Back