Wow, Joe Benavidez made LESS before the Reebok deal

His shirts and trunks are too small. Nobody can see the sponsor logos.

Mini weights not even watched by sponsors, harsh

Yeah but how much space for sponsors are on little people?

Why? Noone cares about him.

Doesn't matter. His shorts and banner were seen in front of hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions. A good manager could get more than that.

flyweights can't draw, hence no sponsor $

Come at me midgets!

The interesting part was this...

Benavidez had been with MMA Inc. for seven years. Most of the fighters who train at Team Alpha Male are represented by Mike Roberts and Jeff Meyer of MMA Inc., which is based out of Sacramento. UFC featherweight champion T.J. Dillashaw has also parted ways with the company, Roberts confirmed with MMAFighting.com.

Benavidez, who meets John Moraga at UFC 187 on Saturday here, is a fan of the Reebok deal and actually said he would make more from it than he currently does with sponsors. He was surprised when he saw other fighters coming out saying they made significantly more in sponsorship money than he has been.

"Man, who the hell are your managers?" Benavidez said. "That's incredible. Because I'm on the 15-grand pay scale for one or two more fights [with Reebok]. I don't remember making 15-grand in a fight since my first title fight with Demetrious [Johnson]. It was well-publicized, the first flyweight fight, and I made some good money. Other than that, I never made 15-grand in a fight in sponsors."

I get the distinct impression that there is no shortage of sub-par management teams pulling in very little. With 600 fighters on the roster, there's going to be a LOT of managers who just happened to tag along for the ride from their days of fighting in regional promotions.

Other fighters aren't going to have managers at all. How many guys coming right out of regional promotions are going to seek out good management representation? Or even are making enough prior to the UFC that they thought that they can afford to have a manager?

Benavidez's former management team manages 7 fighters. How much are these guys really focusing on building endorsements for their fighters when they're not big personalities like Pettis or easy sells like PVZ?

For all the drawbacks of the Reebok tiers, one thing it might do is it could start weeding out the dime store "managers" who are basically just guys with a $100 stack of business cards that don't have a clue of how to build an athlete's brand or develop a stable of endorsements and sponsors.

It really makes clear how much better represented fighters like Rousey are with super agencies like WME behind them than many of her peers.

well hes a flyweight, so theres that

He's a former two division title contender. Fuck off. Can't stand shitty "fans" like you.

He was trying to make a point, just did it poorly.

Besides that, he's just wrong. Managers matter. Few casual fans give a shit about Mighty Mouse, yet he landed Microsoft as a major sponsor. Why? Because his management team actually did their job.

MMA has been full of shitty managers for a long time. The Reebok deal will weed most of them out, hopefully. (Not saying the Reebok deal is good overall, just that it will have some good effects along with the many bad effects.)

He's a former two division title contender. Fuck off. Can't stand shitty "fans" like you.

Who also nearly died in one of his title fights... actually I think a part of him did that night.

Bravo MM, became a fan that day when he put Benavidez out, hopefully Moraga does the same today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back