Social WR Lounge v281: *Shivers* Full Blown Surefront

Most Beautiful Films of the 20th Century?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
All in fun, but I seriously love that movie. It won't inspire deep essays, and it's probably not influential, but it's fun as hell. Most of my favorites are like that.
well if it's any consolation to our differences i think collateral was quite influential although not radically human lol.

well if it's any consolation to our differences i think collateral was quite influential although not radically human lol.

Still feel like I'm kind of fumbling in the dark with the concept. Would Groundhog Day or The Apartment count?

Still feel like I'm kind of fumbling in the dark with the concept. Would Groundhog Day or The Apartment count?
I don't know if you are teasing me but in a space that demands shorthand (at least for me) I think summing up the empathy of Malick's cinema as radically human, while ultimately meaningless, is the best I could do. Groundhog Day is a a film about suffering, if you think buddhism is radically human then sure. The Apartment it has been quite a while.

I think the point I was trying to make (albeit not well) is that every life in a Terrence Malick film - be it a laborer in early 20th century Texas or Pocahontas - is married to the nature it resides in. And more than any filmmaker Malick says that God is nature and thus every life is sacred. This is why when when Private Witt is killed at the end of the Thin Red Line the camera immediately cuts to the sun casting a smokey shadow across the trees above, returning his body to the innocence of nature. I can't express how that makes me feel other than human and in American cinema that kind of thing is radical..to me.

I think "radically human" means something like: despite the circumstances (whether uncomfortably plain or overwhelmingly important) the significance of individual's emotions and decisions - often but not necessarily in a flawed way - sit at the forefront.

There's something missing on reread and don't ask me to think of examples right now. Lol.

@Deorum you have no idea the pandora's box you have opened.

abel gance's napoleon
gpDeLZ4.png

jacques rivette's out 1
AcF4Ome.png

john ford's how green was my valley?
CBEMfCK.png

I don't know if you are teasing me but in a space that demands shorthand (at least for me) I think summing up the empathy of Malick's cinema as radically human, while ultimately meaningless, is the best I could do. Groundhog Day is a a film about suffering, if you think buddhism is radically human then sure. The Apartment it has been quite a while.

I think the point I was trying to make (albeit not well) is that every life in a Terrence Malick film - be it a laborer in early 20th century Texas or Pocahontas - is married to the nature it resides in. And more than any filmmaker Malick says that God is nature and thus every life is sacred. This is why when when Private Witt is killed at the end of the Thin Red Line the camera immediately cuts to the sun casting a smokey shadow across the trees above, returning his body to the innocence of nature. I can't express how that makes me feel other than human and in American cinema that kind of thing is radical..to me.

Not teasing. Just trying to understand. I like this, though.

I think Groundhog Day is about imposing a subjective idea of meaning on a series of events, which is how I see what human life is about--so kind of the opposite of how you interpret Malick. Interesting that Hamlet kind of blends that. In the beginning, Hamlet is potentially walking into a trap, and Horatio warns him, and his attitude is that life is meaningless so who cares if he does walk into a trap ("Why, what should be the fear? I do not set my life in a pin’s fee"). Later, Horatio again warns him that he could be walking into a trap, and he again pushes forward anyway, but this time, he has more of the view you're talking about as his reason--there's a plan for everything, and the key is just to play your role ("There’s a special providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now, ’tis not to come. If it be not to come, it will be now. If it be not now, yet it will come—the readiness is all. Since no man of aught he leaves knows, what is ’t to leave betimes?"). But note that he's doing the same thing in the same type of situation! The change is just in his perspective (similar to Phil, he's actively choosing a kind of passive outlook--"No matter what happens tomorrow or for the rest of my life, I'm happy now.").

Not teasing. Just trying to understand. I like this, though.

I think Groundhog Day is about imposing a subjective idea of meaning on a series of events, which is how I see what human life is about--so kind of the opposite of how you interpret Malick. Interesting that Hamlet kind of blends that. In the beginning, Hamlet is potentially walking into a trap, and Horatio warns him, and his attitude is that life is meaningless so who cares if he does walk into a trap ("Why, what should be the fear? I do not set my life in a pin’s fee"). Later, Horatio again warns him that he could be walking into a trap, and he again pushes forward anyway, but this time, he has more of the view you're talking about as his reason--there's a plan for everything, and the key is just to play your role ("There’s a special providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now, ’tis not to come. If it be not to come, it will be now. If it be not now, yet it will come—the readiness is all. Since no man of aught he leaves knows, what is ’t to leave betimes?"). But note that he's doing the same thing in the same type of situation! The change is just in his perspective (similar to Phil, he's actively choosing a kind of passive outlook--"No matter what happens tomorrow or for the rest of my life, I'm happy now.").
This is also of course what Infinite Jest is mostly about too and is running parallel to Hamlet. There is a constant argument over whether Groundhog Day is a liberal film or a conservative one that I find to be funny. There was an article or something I read about how Groundhog Day is about a cynical, post modern liberal realizing that without appreciating the gift of life, mostly through the acceptance of a God, everything is meaningless. But really to me it's about suffering being the path to enlightenment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back