Television X-MEN '97 (First Official Trailer, post #292)

the pacing is odd in that it has had maybe 2 poor episode so early in and over emphasis on uninteresting B plot villains but there are enough solid episodes to assume this is done to intentionally lead to something. I think I'm of the view all these visions of the future we're seeing are representations of a future threat and they are just visualising this threat based on their past experiences. PS I consider Shadow King a B villain. IDK wtf a Bastion is. Maybe they are flooding it with latter day villains to short hand the plot and lead to something bigger. Seems inevitable Apocalypse will get a say but with all this mystery they need to do something that hasn't been done before, unless the reveal is that all the stuff happening is being done by the same guy who did it last time.

Last edited:
Haven't posted but digging it. Great shit overall, despite any friction behind the scenes has been good. Hope this wasn't this good just because of beau de onlyfans.
it clearly has his hands all over it. a lot of the stuff he said in pressers/interviews has come to fruition, just not in the overt, plain-english way all the culture war dorks thought it would.

Apparently they've been throwing hints of Bastion in every episode leading up to this.

This Nano-Sentinels shit can get crazy.

I wonder if they will try and finalize this arc in the next two episodes, or if they plan to carry it over into the next season. I'm leaning towards a dramatic season finale that carries over into next season.

I'm guessing not since most of the topic I find on him are people wondering who Bastion is.
Look into his origins. He's essentially two of the biggest baddies in the comics merged into one.

I don't want to blind side anyone with spoilers otherwise I'd just say it. He's going to be a problem for them, for sure.

Apparently they've been throwing hints of Bastion in every episode leading up to this.

This Nano-Sentinels shit can get crazy.

Not sure about Bastion but the sentinel tech hitting the street and the sentinels being defeated as jobbers in episode 1 was a hint we would see more modern versions. Since tech doesn't stop evolving.

Last edited:
Not sure about Bastion but the sentinel tech hitting the street and the sentinels being defeated as jobbers in episode 1 was a hint we would see more modern versions. Since tech doesb't stop evolving.
I've already been indoctrinated into the sleeper sentinel plot. Those originals have been meh ever since.

then why would they fire its showrunner? do we know why & i just missed it?

I really wanted to like this because the original was one of my fav cartoons but I just couldn't, I had to force myself to continue midway through the season. All the cringe romances weirded TF out of me. I can't recall if the original cartoon was this cringey.
  • Cyclops finds out his baby mama's a clone and he dumps her immediately after she gave birth to their boy. Like WTF dude, for all you know, the clone's the one you've always known. And then the dumbass be like "I won't abandon my son!" and then proceeds to turn his back on his son. And after the clone leaves, Cyclops proceeds to cheat on Jean with the clone, and that's after Jean gives a big wet kiss to Wolverine. What a fuckin' mess.
  • And Rogue's romance with grandpa Magneto ffs.
  • And Prof X's romance with Lilandra and the cringey af classroom scene.
  • And Storm's romance with Forge. And then they went to find the cacti to cure Forge and suddenly her powers returned and she went for a joyride completely forgetting about the dying man.
  • And ffs what the fuckin' fuck's up with that fuckin' horrendous stripper glove Magneto struts around in??? I know he wore that once in the comics, but ffs shit ideas need to stay dead.
Invincible S3 can't come fast enough so that the long-awaited Mark/Eve romance can cleanse my soul of the X-men 97 abominations.

1714353592681.png

I really wanted to like this because the original was one of my fav cartoons but I just couldn't, I had to force myself to continue midway through the season. All the cringe romances weirded TF out of me. I can't recall if the original cartoon was this cringey.
  • Cyclops finds out his baby mama's a clone and he dumps her immediately after she gave birth to their boy. Like WTF dude, for all you know, the clone's the one you've always known. And then the dumbass be like "I won't abandon my son!" and then proceeds to turn his back on his son. And after the clone leaves, Cyclops proceeds to cheat on Jean with the clone, and that's after Jean gives a big wet kiss to Wolverine. What a fuckin' mess.
  • And Rogue's romance with grandpa Magneto ffs.
  • And Prof X's romance with Lilandra and the cringey af classroom scene.
  • And Storm's romance with Forge. And then they went to find the cacti to cure Forge and suddenly her powers returned and she went for a joyride completely forgetting about the dying man.
  • And ffs what the fuckin' fuck's up with that fuckin' horrendous stripper glove Magneto struts around in??? I know he wore that once in the comics, but ffs shit ideas need to stay dead.
Invincible S3 can't come fast enough so that the long-awaited Mark/Eve romance can cleanse my soul of the X-men 97 abominations.
Literally all of that is in the comics.

then why would they fire its showrunner? do we know why & i just missed it?
I think he was required to sign an NDA about the situation so it's not totally clear, but the rumors are he was difficult to work with and he's also doing a bunch of fully nude shit on Only Fans so that must be a contributing factor. They went all in on "black gay guy" then backtracked.

You can argue he's a "woke hire" but I think the results speak for themselves. He claims episode 5 was a selling point for getting this show green lit. He also wrote season 2.

Hopefully we don't see a big drop off in the writing in season 3.

Literally all of that is in the comics.
Not true, and you're missing the point.

In the comics, Cyclops didn't think Madelyn was Jean, but an reincarnation. So when he found Jean alive, he knew she wasn't an reincarnation so he went back to her. Still kinda fucked up. But in this show, he didn't know how long the clone has been Jean. Like I said, this clone could've very well been the "Jean" he met for the very first time, the same "Jean" he fell in love with, and the real Jean might not have even met him. Beast himself said he doesn't know how long this clone has been in existence.

Also, I don't recall, but in the comics, did Cyclops say he wouldn't abandon his son, only to IMMEDIATELY turn around and walk away and never see his son again? If it didn't happen like that, then it's not really in the comics right? And if it did, that doesn't make it a good arc.

My point is, just because it's in the comics doesn't mean it's a good arc. And just because it's in the comics doesn't mean the execution is exactly the same. A good comic arc can still be executed badly in the show, and a bad arc shouldn't even be in the show. I don't care how comic accurate Magneto's stripper gloves are, but it looked like shit then and it still looks like shit now.

Not true, and you're missing the point.

In the comics, Cyclops didn't think Madelyn was Jean, but an reincarnation. So when he found Jean alive, he knew she wasn't an reincarnation so he went back to her. Still kinda fucked up. But in this show, he didn't know how long the clone has been Jean. Like I said, this clone could've very well been the "Jean" he met for the very first time, the same "Jean" he fell in love with, and the real Jean might not have even met him. Beast himself said he doesn't know how long this clone has been in existence.

Also, I don't recall, but in the comics, did Cyclops say he wouldn't abandon his son, only to IMMEDIATELY turn around and walk away and never see his son again? If it didn't happen like that, then it's not really in the comics right? And if it did, that doesn't make it a good arc.

My point is, just because it's in the comics doesn't mean it's a good arc. And just because it's in the comics doesn't mean the execution is exactly the same. A good comic arc can still be executed badly in the show, and a bad arc shouldn't even be in the show. I don't care how comic accurate Magneto's stripper gloves are, but it looked like shit then and it still looks like shit now.
I was speaking more on you saying the romances were cringey, as that's been a common thread in X-men. And yes, this show generally does switch things up a bit, just like the original animated series. In this case with Madelyn/Jean, but those other romances you brought up were very similar. Personally, I don't have a problem with them but to each their own.

I think they wanted to bring that nostalgic costume back for the sake of the trial. Don't worry, I think it's long gone already.

In the comics Storm stabbed Forge in the chest and almost killed him, so I think leaving him there for a brief moment before saving his life wasn't a big deal. She was already cured by Forge's machine, she just needed to unlock it.

Back