Young GSP swinging for the fences

This is not surprising to those who have followed his career.

Before Serra, St Pierre had a striking arsenal and fought without fear. After Serra, the guy went into a defensive shell and public perception of him began to turn partially negative because of it.

His first fight against karo was so impressive. Than he got jay, both were highly touted and gsp dominated.
Gsp took that Hughes fight way too prematurely. And still showed up well.what a career. He never had an easy named opponent his entire ufc tenure

Before Serra, St Pierre had a striking arsenal and fought without fear. After Serra, the guy went into a defensive shell and public perception of him began to turn partially negative because of it.

Only by sherdoggers. Most fans loved Champion GSP even though he was less aggressive. His PPV numbers were always massive.

Public perception was always high, much more so than most. Only die hard just bleeders didnt like it

Public perception was always high, much more so than most. Only die hard just bleeders didnt like it

Not true. Media, die hards, casuals, colleagues, and management all shit on him for being safe and boring. Rightfully so.

Not true. Media, die hards, casuals, colleagues, and management all shit on him for being safe and boring. Rightfully so.
I agree with all except the rightfully so. And also much more loved him than hated him. GSP is a golden Gawd and you and all of those sinners should thank him every day for choosing to exist on the same planet.

Nice finish but he wasn't really swinging for the fences lol. Rocked him with a tight right straight and followed it up with a left hook all while having his guard up high.

Meh, kept selling them ppvs though didn't he. The amount of people willing to pay to watch him fight is a better indicator than the media and those they can skew. So perhaps it could be worded better.
Insiders didn't like it

I remember Dana White shitting on Jay Hieron when insulting Ben Askren basically saying that Askren was no good because he "barely beat Jay Hieron"
I'd put Jay Hieron in the category of guys like Chris Lytle and Josh Neer, not elite but definitely no easy day at the office
He had a rep of beating the shit out of sparring partners. Like if he was doing striking sparring and was losin hed take the guy down and gnp

I remember Dana White shitting on Jay Hieron when insulting Ben Askren basically saying that Askren was no good because he "barely beat Jay Hieron"
I'd put Jay Hieron in the category of guys like Chris Lytle and Josh Neer, not elite but definitely no easy day at the office
And Dana talked about how great nick Diaz was who ducked Hieron hard two years prior to bringing him back.

Let's be honest, this was Jay Hieron fourth fight and not even 1 year into pro mma, guy probably didn't even knew how to strike at that point.
Hardy instead was a seasoned veteran with a 4 fights winning streak in the UFC.

Another reason why GSP became "boring" was the level of his opposition going up.
But boring GSP would beat the younger, fun, pre-Serra GSP.

Against Jay Hieron.

Who actually is a very tough opponent for you newer MMA fans.

I think he’s a lot tougher than Dan Hardy, anyway.

Look how GSP was swinging for the fences fearlessly, look at how hard the punches are and how he sits down on his strikes.

Just a reminder that GSP as a title contender can finish opponents at will.

That was fun to watch... Thanks TS!

Also... Did you see the look on GSP's face? All mad warrior shit!

I like GSP in all his career stages.... But he really was a treat when he was young and inexperienced.. Much more risk taking.

Super young GSP with healthy knees and less experienced opponents was hell on wheels.

I have never understood the idea that the 1st Serra fight was some sort of turning point in his style. In his 5 fights after that loss, GSP finished Hughes, Serra and Penn and beat the shit out of Kos and Fitch who were both incredibly durable at that point in their careers

as a martial arts fan, it is still fun to watch how great fighters adjust to losing a little bit of athleticism and still find ways to win (and in the case of the GOAT types, dominate)

He showed too much respect for Hughes in their first fight, and not enough for Serra.
hughes took him to school
dfef262c8529d259071712ccdb25c6fa.gif

Pre-Serra GSP wasn't afraid of standing and banging. He even said so himself.
The Serra fight made him realize that it's a game of inches so he decided to minimize the risk to the minimum.

that's why he was the highest draw for years right?

Back