Youtube chef ranks popular food from every state in America.

The youtuber probably followed the voting from the viewers and the tatertots won. He smoked meats for other state dishes.

I saw some of his other cooking videos. He is overly complicated. He makes everything from scratch like the bread, sauces, sausages etc etc. He doesn't really teach people how to cook. He is just an entertainer. He often has material or equipment that normal kitchen wouldn't have. It took me 3 minutes to realize I should abandon ship and use Ubereats after watching this easy chicken and rice dish.
You last 3 minutes? I often try recipes from YT, but in under a minute he wants we to purchase a half dozen exotic spices to roast myself in the oven. Nah. I fall some where between "dump in the can of cream of chicken soup" and "make a simple roux with these 3 ingredients".

It's like sausage + cornmeal without the casing. It seems like fried meatloaf with a more mystery meat component. I would try it with breakfast or with a burger instead of bacon.
I was a line cook at a Perkins restaurant in Ohio as a teenager, and scrapple was on the menu. It wasn't popular, and when my curiosity won out, the flavor was quite unimpressive. The only thing I disliked cooking more was the corn beef hash.

I've lived here for 30 plus years and Virginia ham sucks. I like ham. Prepared well, I could love ham. The level of salt in Virginia ham is unbearable.
We were planning a potluck once and a local girl was excitedly bragging about the ham biscuits she was going to bring. Her enthusiasm was contagious, so I was actually looking forward to trying this amazing thing she was going to expose me to. It was super salty ham on a generic biscuit.
Try „gammon“ (?) if ever in England. It‘s very tasty but the level of salt in that shit will cost you a kidney per serving.

You last 3 minutes? I often try recipes from YT, but in under a minute he wants we to purchase a half dozen exotic spices to roast myself in the oven. Nah. I fall some where between "dump in the can of cream of chicken soup" and "make a simple roux with these 3 ingredients".

I was a line cook at a Perkins restaurant in Ohio as a teenager, and scrapple was on the menu. It wasn't popular, and when my curiosity won out, the flavor was quite unimpressive. The only thing I disliked cooking more was the corn beef hash.
That simple rice and chicken dish has 50 ingredients total. I am willing to try new recipes but that one was way too much work

It's like sausage + cornmeal without the casing. It seems like fried meatloaf with a more mystery meat component. I would try it with breakfast or with a burger instead of bacon.

Scrapple….big in MD. Many people don’t like it…I love it. Scrapple, egg, and cheese sandwich. Yes.

https://www.rapascrapple.com/

the best brand.

Its more of a Cincinnati tri-state area thing than an Ohio thing, Gold Star is much better, imo.

The cans of Skyline are expensive (almost $7 here in AZ) and they are not good. The seasoning packets with fresh ground beef are much better (even the frozen meat/sauce is better), and having it as a chili dog is a better first experience.

Want a good Ohio-only food that's underrated/not well known? Richards Steak Sandwiches.

I agree that style of chili can be found in a random Ohio hot dog place and it’s amazing as a chili dog.

I haven’t heard of richards but my vote would be pierogies.

I worked with a guy from Michigan that lived here for probably 10 years and he had no idea what a pierogie was when I mentioned it. I thought he was fucking with me.

Just looked up Richards it’s like another Ohio staple, the Romanburger from Mr. Hero.

Last edited:

Why corn beef hash? Also what is the trick not to make corn beef hash taste like a soggy mess.

Why corn beef hash? Also what is the trick not to make corn beef hash taste like a soggy mess.
I didn't like cooking it because of the unusual smell and the spattering hot grease. For some reason it starting spitting specks of hot grease everywhere as soon as it touched the grill. As far as the soggy mess thing, I'm not sure. I never tried it while I worked there, but the method was to fill an oblong dish similar to this
35774_36325.jpg

single serving size with hash, put it open side down on the griddle, and cook it until it had a bit of a crust. Later in life, I tried corned beef hash prepared some other way and it was mostly soggy (but not as horrid as I'd imagined)

Back