• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Zero Carb= Fantastic Results but Questions Remain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you're realistically at 48.

Most fiber supplements would inherently be considered "low-carb" as they have negligible insulin response.

Also, with this type of nutrition you lose hydration on a cellular level. So making sure fluid and electrolyte intake stays up is another key.

Any recommendations for electrolyte drinks? I saw powerade zero, but shit that stuff is expensive (20 bucks for an 8 pack?)

Picked up some 4c flavor paks to add to water, and I noticed that the ingredients are mainly the same (say 0 carb/sugar, contain sodium, potassium). Will these suffice?

Any recommendations for electrolyte drinks? I saw powerade zero, but shit that stuff is expensive (20 bucks for an 8 pack?)

Picked up some 4c flavor paks to add to water, and I noticed that the ingredients are mainly the same (say 0 carb/sugar, contain sodium, potassium). Will these suffice?

Seen a good amount of support for EmergenC as a source of electrolytes thats 0 carb.

20 bucks for an 8 pack? I just picked up 10 for 10 bucks at the local Hyvee.

Yeah, the bigger ones are like 88 cents here.

I was actually hoping to find Powerade Zero powder. Haven't looked all that hard yet, but the 20oz 8 pack was, I think, 19.87 before shipping on Amazon. Apparently that doesn't reflect some supermarket prices, which I'm glad to hear. Mainly I've just been drinking water and being lazy and not making it out to the store.

There's a powdered product I like called Emergen-C, and I put those in Sobe Lifewater O's. Comes out pretty tasty.

Sinister (and others), your input in this thread has been invaluable. I have been reading up on ketosis for a bit now and have decided to start a program. I am interested to hear your thoughts on Lyle McDonald's opinion on glucometers (at least as it pertains to The Ketogenic Diet). You two seem to have differing views on the necessity of such a piece of equipment.

I don't think glucometers are a necessity, they're just a good way to see for yourself how your body responds to certain foods. Accounting for the margin of error is pretty easy, so I don't think that margin error disqualifies their relevance entirely. If a person wants to use the equipment (which isn't altogether necessary either), to the fullest effect, I usually recommend using both the glucometer and keto sticks.

Thanks! Seeing as I am a scientific minded person, I think the Glucometer and Ketostix's will be a useful purchase. Is there any sense in me getting a pair of calipers for body fat %? Or will my noob-ness with them detract from any benefits associated with a more accurate reading?

Last edited:
Medical calipers are a good long-term investment for purposes of tracking body fat. Personally I have one of those fancy body fat scales, but that's only because I got it for free. It's still only but so accurate, though. Just gives you an idea of what range you're at approximately.

So, I took a trip to my Universities meat science lab. Fucking awesome. In addition to their 30 fresh eggs for 4 bucks, and healthy supply of cow and pig, they also have a selection of organ meats. I saw tongues, hearts, livers, and some unknown stuff. Are there any members that actively devour these items? I assume that the stuff is good for you and I should figure out how to cook the damn things, but any personal input would be appreciated. Thanks!

So, I took a trip to my Universities meat science lab. Fucking awesome. In addition to their 30 fresh eggs for 4 bucks, and healthy supply of cow and pig, they also have a selection of organ meats. I saw tongues, hearts, livers, and some unknown stuff. Are there any members that actively devour these items? I assume that the stuff is good for you and I should figure out how to cook the damn things, but any personal input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mark's Daily Apple often espouses eating organs and other unfashionable animal bits, as they are usually the most nutritious. You'll find a good few recipes around the site.

My opinion of soy milk is that there's no such thing. You can't "milk" a soybean. It's soy juice, and it's gross. Some people like that shit, though.

lol'd.

But Soy Milk in Coffee or a protein shake>>>

Hey Sinister,

I have another question: you mentioned that it is not necessary to have a glucometer as ketostix and the "feeling" of being in ketosis should be sufficient. What is interesting to me is that after about 20 days of ketosis, I stopped experiencing the feeling. Is this common for you or any of your clients who have been in ketosis for a while? And if so, I'm assuming this has to do with the body being acclimated to burning fat?

Right. But you should also be able to tell by your sensitivity to insulin. Say you do cheat even for just a meal. With insulin sensitivity high you're very liable to feel it if you blood-glucose suddenly jumps 10ml/dl or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back