Zookeeper Gabe’s Animal Thread Vol 10.0

6982.gif

C3e1CQJ.jpg
I love the tigers flehmen response, they do that when they smell something they like. It’s often do yo another animals urine, we affectionately call it the stinky face.

This video is asking all the questions we want to ask.

Is it legal?

The video "not YET"

Nice sized tub but that uvb bulb is criminally small for that many turtles

So would a couple of 48" T5HO UVB's be adequate, or is there something better?
I'm surprised they haven't destroyed those sponge filters.

So would a couple of 48" T5HO UVB's be adequate, or is there something better?
I'm surprised they haven't destroyed those sponge filters.
Yeah. The filtration is relatively basic too, I would run giant canisters on them.
Depending on how high you wanted to mount them you could use a couple of 24” t5 in good reflective hoods and a bigger basking area. Plus a spot light to encourage basking

Yeah. The filtration is relatively basic too, I would run giant canisters on them.
Depending on how high you wanted to mount them you could use a couple of 24” t5 in good reflective hoods and a bigger basking area. Plus a spot light to encourage basking

There's nothing wrong with a "basic" sponge filter. A canister, hang on back, sump, and sponge filters all do the same thing, hold beneficial bacteria.
In the situation of the turtle guy, I'd go for the DIY bucket filter or DIY trash can filter. They're cheaper, hold more media, and are easier to clean.

There's nothing wrong with a "basic" sponge filter. A canister, hang on back, sump, and sponge filters all do the same thing, hold beneficial bacteria.
In the situation of the turtle guy, I'd go for the DIY bucket filter or DIY trash can filter. They're cheaper, hold more media, and are easier to clean.
It does the job yes, but I would rather some water movement.

Sponge filters do have a lower flow rate, but the longer contact time water has with the beneficial bacteria, the better they work.
Do turtles require a higher flow rate?
It really depends on the individual species but turtles are really dirty animals and the amount of food he’s feeding I would say a definitely higher flow rate than sponge filters.

Woody the woodpecker wants to break into your house.

I'm dating myself a bit with this story:
When I was little there was one summer where a downy woodpecker took up drumming on the metal pole for our TV antena. Crack of dawn and the little bastard would be hammering away on the metal and would wake up the whole house. Most woodpeckers don't sing, they drum. And that metal pole must have struck just the right note.

I'm dating myself a bit with this story:
When I was little there was one summer where a downy woodpecker took up drumming on the metal pole for our TV antena. Crack of dawn and the little bastard would be hammering away on the metal and would wake up the whole house. Most woodpeckers don't sing, they drum. And that metal pole must have struck just the right note.
Lol. The pileateds used to do that at my parents house. So fucking loud

It really depends on the individual species but turtles are really dirty animals and the amount of food he’s feeding I would say a definitely higher flow rate than sponge filters.

It's wild how some families really do care for them over centuries.

Back