✝️ R.I.P. BIGWAVERIDER The Greatest Sherbro of All Time!

Hello my name is Bryan and I am BWR's little and only brother.
I am completely flabbergasted by the outpouring of love for my Brother in this community.
My Brother loved Surfing and when his illness did not afford him to express himself in the waves he turned to Photoshopping.
His work is incredible and I thank each and everyone of you for allowing him this freedom of expression. I want to thank @Arqueto personally because my brother was a very private person and your personality enabled him to open up and be his real self, Thank You @Arqueto
To @HUGHPHUG I am totally sure that the Magnificent story and all stories Michael (BWR) has told you about me are 100% true.
And now I have a story for all about THE BIG WAVE RIDER.
As I said before Michael LOVED to surf and we surfed together for many years. As a matter of fact we both loved the sport so much we ended up in Hawaii. We used to surf a break called Log Cabins regularly during the winter. The waves on the North Shore can grow from 4-6 feet up to 15 feet in just a short time and Log Cabins is no exception. When the waves began to grow and grow and grow I would paddle south towards the smaller waves while my brother would paddle North towards the Pipeline to a break called Rockpiles, a Triple Black Diamond type wave that took Big Coconuts to even consider a paddle out. After a couple seasons I finally asked him why he didn't just head south with me to the smaller safer funner waves and he said "Because I am a Big Wave Rider."

Oprah-gif.gif

No way. This is still unreal to me. I can't believe it. To see the impact that a guy can have to a bunch of total strangers on an internet forum is unbelievable. Bigwaverider went out of his way to message me a couple of times and he even sent me a photoshop tutorial with lots of tips and tricks. He always sent me invites to all those shoop contests even though I never thought I was good enough. He was a master of photoshop. Dude was just on a different level when it came to shoop threads. To say that I will miss all his work and creativity and his overall presence on these forums is a huge understatement.

Rest easy sherbro, and the GOAT shooper. Sincere condolences to your family and friends.
We will all miss you Mike aka Bigwaverider. Lots of love man. Sherdog wouldn't be the same without you.
Frank-Mir-hugs-Fedor-Emelianenko-after-Bellator-198.jpg

I have read your post three times. I can't express to you how awesome I think this is. BWR educated you in the most classy of ways and you received it. This is novel now days. He was truly a class act. He loved to teach and his patience when teaching this ART was unparalleled just by listening to all of you Sherbros. Thank you so very much for sharing this story. This just makes me love him even more. He was definitely a servant of the people in this amazing community... R.I.P. BWR!

Wow, what terrible news. BWR was the best poster on this forum, and it sounds like the stories shared by others, possibly the best PERSON who visited this forum. RIP. You will be missed!!

So sorry to hear the news. I stopped logging in around 2015 and only occasionally lurked a few times a year, but felt compelled to login and post once I saw BWR passed away.

BWR was a force of nature when it came to the shoop scene. Such a talented and driven person, always striving to learn new things and pushing himself to be the best he can be. I was always in awe of the volume of hilarious and cutting edge stuff he created. Meanwhile BWR was never too busy to help and encourage others to do the same. BWR guided me through getting into after effects and getting better with photoshop, and was always there to help.

Rest in peace my friend, and often times mentor. You had such a positive effect you had on so many lives, you will never be forgotten.

Sad news for sure :( I didn't speak with him much, but seeing his posts and how he interacted with everyone, he seemed like a genuinely great guy. Respectful, always willing to help, and able to explain things in a way that everyone could understand.

Shocking. So sad. :(

“Let us hurry to love people - they depart so quickly” a famous local poet once said. I've had the pleasure of interacting with @bigwaverider over the years and he was definitely a source of love and joy to so many on this forum. Great guy, very supportive, very talented yet humble. And now he has departed, a huge loss to the forum and to everyone who knew him.

My thoughts and prayers go out to BWR's family and friends, to the forum community and once again to TS @Arqueto. Hang in there dawg.
*virtual bro hug*

Shocking. So sad. :(

“Let us hurry to love people - they depart so quickly” a famous local poet once said. I've had the pleasure of interacting with @bigwaverider over the years and he was definitely a source of love and joy to so many on this forum. Great guy, very supportive, very talented yet humble. And now he has departed, a huge loss to the forum and to everyone who knew him.

My thoughts and prayers go out to BWR's family and friends, to the forum community and once again to TS @Arqueto. Hang in there dawg.
*virtual bro hug*

Thanks brother. I'm hanging in there and getting ready for Mike's shoop tribute thread. I want to make it the best shoop thread ever to honour our fallen Sherbrother.

That's heartbreaking. BWR was truly one of the kindest and most generous people I've known. He always valued everyone else above himself even though he was the best of us in many ways. I was around when he first started shooping and it was incredible how quickly he went from eager-to-learn to eager-to-teach. Whenever I included a stupid little background joke in one of my shoops or learned a cool new trick in After Effects, he always seemed to point it out and make me feel validated. Without even knowing it, he helped me get through some difficult times in my life just through his kindness. I haven't been around here much recently and hadn't talked to him in a while, but I'm very thankful for having known him and will miss him greatly. It's so sad that he's gone but amazing to see that his legacy will live on through all of the people that he's mentored or otherwise affected during his time here.

My condolences go out to his family, including his Sherdog family.

R.I.P., my friend.

Back