Law 10 year old American child confesses to killing someone for no reason, can't be charged

We lock the grandfather up for a long, long time, that's what should happen.

This. No reason why the adult who owned the gun can’t be charged for this. Make them pay for their stupidity and the loss of this man’s life.

That is true but what do you do about the kid?

If he is a psychopath that kills people for no reason then should he have the ability to live in a society?

That is true but what do you do about the kid?

If he is a psychopath that kills people for no reason then should he have the ability to live in a society?

That's a bit like asking "what do you do with a child who, at 7, is given access to the nuke button and chooses to press it in total ignorance".

I don't know, what do you do with a child victim of such a ludicrous situation?

Obviously the grandfather need never see the light of day again for ending one life and ruining another, but as for the child? How does anyone ever get beyond that? Many would double down, but really, a lifelong commitment to psychological treatment? Let's be real, they can't ever live a normal life, so I guess that's the best you can do. Tell them none of it was their fault, try to make amends, it's not going to be easy.

That doesn’t address the problem of the sociopath who committed the murder. Locking up somebody who probably isn’t a sociopath and didn’t kill anybody

The truth is not everybody is fit to live in society. This kid is trying to tell everybody he’s one of them. Of course, many wait for him to do it again…which he was threatening to do to another kid years later

Juvenile detention obviously. Kids aren’t allowed to murder people

Why ? I don't know exactly how that kid got a hold of that gun at the moment. Maybe that kid is super clever. I dont know how you were as a child but i had an amazing ability to get into shit i wasnt supposed to. Storage laws vary from place to place and I'm not sure I like just automatically charging the nearest adult just because it makes people feel better.

Also , a lot of us over here grew up with access to guns from a young age and yet somehow we knew not to take them out of the house and kill a complete stranger. I'm talking no safe just in drawers closets and under the bed. I'm not sure if the adults in this kids life are monsters or if this kid is just wired in a way that makes him dangerous to other living things or both. That seems like a really wild thing for a kid to even think to do.

Military school or work camp

That's a bit like asking "what do you do with a child who, at 7, is given access to the nuke button and chooses to press it in total ignorance".

I don't know, what do you do with a child victim of such a ludicrous situation?

Obviously the grandfather need never see the light of day again for ending one life and ruining another, but as for the child? How does anyone ever get beyond that? Many would double down, but really, a lifelong commitment to psychological treatment? Let's be real, they can't ever live a normal life, so I guess that's the best you can do. Tell them none of it was their fault, try to make amends, it's not going to be easy.

If the kids killed before and is threatening to kill again I think we need to take that seriously and consider that he's probably a risk to others. I wouldn't want him near my kids.

Why ? I don't know exactly how that kid got a hold of that gun at the moment. Maybe that kid is super clever. I dont know how you were as a child but i had an amazing ability to get into shit i wasnt supposed to. Storage laws vary from place to place and I'm not sure I like just automatically charging the nearest adult just because it makes people feel better.

Also , a lot of us over here grew up with access to guns from a young age and yet somehow we knew not to take them out of the house and kill a complete stranger. I'm talking no safe just in drawers closets and under the bed. I'm not sure if the adults in this kids life are monsters or if this kid is just wired in a way that makes him dangerous to other living things or both. That seems like a really wild thing for a kid to even think to do.
I don't think it's an either or situation.
Diminished responsibility due to his age doesn't mean he's not a dud unit for murdering someone at 7 and threatening to murder someone else at 10 on that basis.
His access to firearms and ammunition, and the fact this occurred at the age of 7, is definitely a failure of supervision and negligence (it would be criminal here but possibly not in the US I'm sure).
As when a kid grabs their parents keys and runs over a sibling or a pair of siblings kill each other by jousting on dirt bikes. Except this act of murder is worse, as it doesn't seem accidental or a matter of sheer stupidity.
I don't like the chances of him not having access to firearms as an adult in the US, legally or otherwise, nor the chances of him not deciding to kill again.
Isn't there some provision for them to be a psychiatric, "ward of the state" until the unlikely case of them being evaluated as harmless or "low risk"?

The best one can probably hope for at this point is that the kid kills again and gets busted for it, but this time the victim happens to be a fellow societal shitstain who deserves it. That would simultaneously rid the world of two undesirables.

Grandpa definitely belongs in jail for a long time.

That’s a messed up situation regarding the kid. The fact that he now threatened to kill someone else tells me that he’s got some faulty wiring. Some kids are killers in the making, but that one already crossed that threshold. I don’t have the answer, but I think it starts with psychiatric evaluation, and likely being placed in the care of some institution.

Back