Law 10 year old American child confesses to killing someone for no reason, can't be charged

Afraid not. Taking the gun out of the house and keeping it out of view in the glove box is considered a reasonable effort. Even in stricter states, you're not getting charged if someone breaks into your car and steals your gun.
I think you overlook the "or" in the law which means that if either part is true then it constitutes an offense, not that both parts have to be met. If the glove box wasn't locked then it wasn't secure which makes the second bullet point moot.

The part about breaking into the car is true in Texas too. However, if the glove box was locked and the kid broke it open to get the gun then granddad should have noticed that and reported it when his neighbor was found shot to death.

I think you overlook the "or" in the law which means that if either part is true then it constitutes an offense, not that both parts have to be met. If the glove box wasn't locked then it wasn't secure which makes the second bullet point moot.

The part about breaking into the car is true in Texas too. However, if the glove box was locked and the kid broke it open to get the gun then granddad should have noticed that and reported it when his neighbor was found shot to death.
The kid put the gun back, so there's nothing in the story suggesting he had a reason t suspect it was his gun. If there's something missing from the story where the grandfather knew and intentionally covered it up, then he should and would be charged for that, but that isn't negligence.

Criminal negligence would be leaving the gun on a nightstand or exposed in the house somewhere, or the people in Michigan who kept the gun in a shoebox n the floor, not maybe the grandson might come over to visit, take the keys and sneak out of the house at 2am, break into the car, rummage through the glove box and find a gun, then randomly break into an RV and shoot a complete stranger in their sleep. That is so far beyond a reasonable scenario to consider when taking precautions. They use the word reasonable instead of absolutely impossible exactly for things like this.

Imagine working your way up to homicide as a police officer, catching a case that you would work for weeks/months with others to no avail only for it to come out years later it was the 7yo in the RV with a gun.

Then having to hear for the rest of your career about that time you couldn't catch a 7yo.

Id argue that would be a lot fucking harder to solve than any other case.

The kid put the gun back, so there's nothing in the story suggesting he had a reason t suspect it was his gun. If there's something missing from the story where the grandfather knew and intentionally covered it up, then he should and would be charged for that, but that isn't negligence.
This is what leads me to believe that the glove box wasn't locked. If it were locked and the kid ripped the thing open the gramps would have noticed.

Criminal negligence would be leaving the gun on a nightstand or exposed in the house somewhere, or the people in Michigan who kept the gun in a shoebox n the floor, not maybe the grandson might come over to visit, take the keys and sneak out of the house at 2am, break into the car, rummage through the glove box and find a gun
You are assuming that the vehicle was locked and that the kid didn't know that it's where gramps kept his gun. If your assumed scenario was accurate then I could see how this wasn't negligence. However, if the truck and glovebox were unlocked and/or the kid knew that there was a gun in there then I think it fits the penal code definition.

then randomly break into an RV and shoot a complete stranger in their sleep. That is so far beyond a reasonable scenario to consider when taking precautions. They use the word reasonable instead of absolutely impossible exactly for things like this.
It sounds like you are using what the kid did after getting the gun to say that it's unreasonable and I don't think it's how the law works. The part where reason matters is how the kid got the gun.

This is what leads me to believe that the glove box wasn't locked. If it were locked and the kid ripped the thing open the gramps would have noticed.

You are assuming that the vehicle was locked and that the kid didn't know that it's where gramps kept his gun. If your assumed scenario was accurate then I could see how this wasn't negligence. However, if the truck and glovebox were unlocked and/or the kid knew that there was a gun in there then I think it fits the penal code definition.

It sounds like you are using what the kid did after getting the gun to say that it's unreasonable and I don't think it's how the law works. The part where reason matters is how the kid got the gun.
Doesn't say either way. Would it make a difference for you if the car was locked and the kid took the keys vs the car having an unlocked door? How about if it wasn't his grandson but a random kid that snuck out from another RV?

It's not just what the kid did after getting the gun, it's what he did to get the gun. It wasn't an accident or an altercation, or a case of him leaving the gun lying around, it's an especially unreasonable scenario of a 7 year Ted Bundy committing several other crimes before committing premeditated murder of a total stranger and covering it up and acting like nothing happened.

We'll see, but haven't heard anyone from Texas law enforcement suggest changing the grandfather, and it seems more like a case of people on the internet being mad that they can't charge the kid, so they just want to charge the nearest adult even if they're not at fault.

I coached a kid like this. Sixth Grade basketball. I wouldn't turn my back on him. All the other kids were terrified because he would try to hurt them.

His Grandpa took him to the river to swim. He drowned at like 11 years old. I think Grandpa did the World a favor.
Some kids are just evil. When my younger sister was in second grade a child in her class strangled the class guinea pig. When the kids were out playing at recess, he walked back into the class room and strangled the poor guinea pig and then just went back outside and finished up recess. He told the school administrators he just wanted to kill the animal. The school tried to just chalk it up to a child acting out and were going to leave him in the class. My mom and other parents objected to it and he was eventually sent to an alternative school. I have no idea what happened to the boy after that but I am sure it was nothing good.

Would it make a difference for you if the car was locked and the kid took the keys vs the car having an unlocked door?
It would because if the door were locked then there would at least be an argument that gramps tried to secure the gun. However, if the kid knew he kept the gun in there and had unrestricted access to the keys then I could see that argument failing.

How about if it wasn't his grandson but a random kid that snuck out from another RV?
This sounds more like theft to me. If your kid is in your vehicle you aren't calling the cops, but if it's a stranger's kid then you are. Also, although it's not illegal, every gun owner should know that storing your gun in your car isn't a great idea.

We'll see, but haven't heard anyone from Texas law enforcement suggest changing the grandfather, and it seems more like a case of people on the internet being mad that they can't charge the kid, so they just want to charge the nearest adult even if they're not at fault.
I'm not the least bit mad about it and the family of the victim don't seem to care much either. Just looking at the few facts that we have seem to point to this situation fitting the definition of a crime gramps could be charged with. However, the police should have all the facts and if they have info that shows gramps isn't at fault then I'm obviously fine with that too.

The issue is that we leave punishment up to the state. The state should only be involved in determining guilt. When it comes to punishment for serious crimes like murder, the punishment should be solely at the hands of the estate of the victim

That kid knew enough to know that when he pulled the trigger, it would kill that man

Most serial killers start off torturing and killing cats or dogs as kids…

This kid just jumped right in

In fact, it would not be surprising if the kid had taken the gun previously and shot animals before this

And he had zero remorse

Pure sociopath

fMdIYHI3NHL1I3h0wvjyCyTk0WV.jpg

I coached a kid like this. Sixth Grade basketball. I wouldn't turn my back on him. All the other kids were terrified because he would try to hurt them.

His Grandpa took him to the river to swim. He drowned at like 11 years old. I think Grandpa did the World a favor.

There's kids like this in boxing right now who might end up as celebrities because the Sport applauds such behavior in the ring, and if their Coach is their Dad they get either treated like Princes outside the ring, or abused until they snap. I've met more than one psychopathic minor.

This will blow your mind, but killing someone is a more serious crime than wearing a dress.

I know you're not taught that in your country, but honestly, it's true! Look it up! ;)

Amazing how fast the tranny-brain found it's way into this thread.

Lil kid really went in the middle of the night, got in the car, got in the glove compartment, blasted someone dead for no reason, went back to the car, put the gun back, and went back to sleep like nothing happened. At 7 years old. Then 2-3 years later, threatens to blast a student. Somehow some of y'all translate this to "grandpa fault" lol. Clearly this kid is psycho and was going to blast someone regardless, and will blast someone in the future if not addressed. There's no confusion about that here.

There's kids like this in boxing right now who might end up as celebrities because the Sport applauds such behavior in the ring, and if their Coach is their Dad they get either treated like Princes outside the ring, or abused until they snap. I've met more than one psychopathic minor.

Amazing how fast the tranny-brain found it's way into this thread.

7 year old shoots someone dead, then threatens another kid.

Whose mind doesn't go right to MTF transitions?

Back