2019 Motorsports thread.

Ferrari upped their pace in practice two with both Leclerc and Vettel faster than Hamilton's practice one time by almost .6. They did it on the soft tires while Hamilton was on the medium tires. Hamilton slapped the wall with his right rear tire, flattening his tire and ending his practice early. The crew changed the entire rear section saying it was a precautionary measure. I think Bottas was out on the soft tires but was third, .134 down to Leclerc who bested Vettel by .074. Sainz in the McLaren and Magnussen in the Haas were forth and fifth followed by Hamilton who had matched his practice one speed on the medium tires.

I think teams are going to have to get through the second session of qualifying on the medium tires or they will have to do a two stop race. I doubt that a set of soft and a set of hard tires will work.

Vettel pulls out the pole after time ran out. Hamilton had the fastest time in the first two sectors but was .3 sec slower in the final sector just ahead of Vettel. Leclerc was third. Ricciardo and Gasly were 4th and fifth while Bottas could only manage 6th after he spun in the third session. The Mercedes and the Ferraris will start on the medium tires which Mercedes were faster on in the second session of qualifying. Most of the other teams that made it through Q2 will have to start on the soft tires which is likely to force them to change tires twice.

The Mercedes seemed to be able to go faster as they got more laps on the medium tires while the Ferraris seemed to lose speed quickly.

Verstappen didn't make it through to Q3 after Red Bull tried to run on the medium tires. They changed to soft tires for a final run but the session ended when Magnussen crashed and spun with seconds to go. Magnussen was the 10th fastest in Q2 when he crashed and ended any chance of anyone going faster. He will likely lose that grid position after the damage to his car.

Ricciardos car better hold up tomorrow

Vettel's slip seems to have cost him the win as the stewards penalize Vettel 5 seconds for unsafe re-entry.

I wonder if the stewards have access to data from the cars. Maybe Vettel didn't ease off the throttle. Obviously the stewards thought he could have done something different. I don't know if he could have.

That was a good call imo. Seb came back on the track and made a hard right to cut off ham. Sorry, but we have seen seb make contact in the past to keep position. He doesnt deserve the benefit of doubt

giphy.gif

Seb was already back on track and steered to the far end of the track to shut the door on hamilton. It was dangerous and the correct decision was given.

And the track also moved to the left, so him steering to the right was even more reason to give him a penalty. The FIA got it right. They usually take it easy of seb and ferrari. Clock struck midnight for cinderella. Seb was also scared of lewis breathing down his neck. Another mistake cost him a race. Yikes.

Vettel pulls out the pole after time ran out. Hamilton had the fastest time in the first two sectors but was .3 sec slower in the final sector just ahead of Vettel. Leclerc was third. Ricciardo and Gasly were 4th and fifth while Bottas could only manage 6th after he spun in the third session. The Mercedes and the Ferraris will start on the medium tires which Mercedes were faster on in the second session of qualifying. Most of the other teams that made it through Q2 will have to start on the soft tires which is likely to force them to change tires twice.

The Mercedes seemed to be able to go faster as they got more laps on the medium tires while the Ferraris seemed to lose speed quickly.

Verstappen didn't make it through to Q3 after Red Bull tried to run on the medium tires. They changed to soft tires for a final run but the session ended when Magnussen crashed and spun with seconds to go. Magnussen was the 10th fastest in Q2 when he crashed and ended any chance of anyone going faster. He will likely lose that grid position after the damage to his car.

Did Lewis make any mistakes in the final sector or is that just the Ferrari having more power (as suspected) given the final sector is effectively a huge straight and a game of chicken on who can take the most curb without ending in the wall

That was a good call imo. Seb came back on the track and made a hard right to cut off ham. Sorry, but we have seen seb make contact in the past to keep position. He doesnt deserve the benefit of doubt

He did turn right but it might have been to catch his car. It did seem like he did keep going toward the wall after he had gained control.

Penalty aside, yet again Vettel crumbles under pressure.

It did seem like he did keep going toward the wall after he had gained control.

Of course he did. Vettel is one of the most unfair drivers out there and the biggest crybaby bitch out there (and a massive douchebag), the penalty was fine. The fact that he would rather have a crash than giving up a place after his own mistake is quite telling. Like @rearnakedchoke said, there is absolutely nothing in his history that could lead me to believe that he didn't do it on purpose. In german TV he low key tried to blame Hamilton lol.

He and Ferrari deserve each other, both scum. I feel for Leclerc, though. Seems like he is already fed up with Vettel and Ferrari, apparently they didn't even tell him that Vettel got a 5 second penalty and when he was close, they told Vettel to keep pushing.

I liked when all three sat there and Vettel tried to talk to Hamilton and Leclerc, but both just ignored him.

Edit: Just imagine if the roles were reversed and Hamilton didn't get punished. Vettel would flip out just as much.

Back