2020 Recap and Analytics

Sadistics

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It's that time of year again, I hope you've all been tracking your bets in some form. For the uninitiated, I'll quote the originator of these threads, EZFlyer:

"this is a free-for-all, judgment-free zone of talking about successes, failures

maybe it will help people make improvements or help others with things that work for you, etc.

It will also help you understand your own successes and failures if you take the time and have the information.

so yea, go nuts."

2016 year end thread: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/2016-recap-analytics.3438971/
2017 year end thread: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/2017-recap-analytics.3684213/
2018 year end thread: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...d-2019-goals-tips-etc.3888645/#post-147919071
2019 year end thread: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/2019-recap-analytics.4063143/#post-157719267

I'll be doing my review tomorrow and will post up the novel I come up with

Started taking my betting seriously this year and very happy with my evolution even though I just missed my goal of 100 units by 7.

I bet £31,000 and made just over £9300 with an ROI of about 30%, probably because I started the first half of the year only betting at even odds or higher (I also don't count hedge betting). I'm slightly worse on just MMA with an ROI of 25% and I actually lost more bets than I won 97W / 102L. lol.

Pros: I didn't lose money on a single sport which I'm very proud of.

Cons: I realised that every time I went to London I started losing serious money, it just does to show you how your lifestyle can affect everything else. Also I started over betting events. I went from betting one or two fights an events to betting nearly every single fight.

*I'm actually also down a couple of hundred on parlays (of 4 or more) but I didn't keep track.

On a none betting note, 2020 was by far the best year I ever had, I almost feel like the joker thriving in the worlds misfortune. Bitcoin went flying, stocks have gone anywhere from 7x since I bought the crash and I've successfully made a side hobby profitable. I've somehow started 2021 in a work partnership where I am clearly the weak link, and it's all due to corona forcing me to kick some bad habits (barring a couple of misguided weekends).

Let's make 2021 a banger!

Last edited:
Didn't track my bets as closely as I should have. I used to keep a thorough sheet with prop, P&L etc, and analyse results as I went but got lazy. As a result, my year wasn't as good as in previous years.

Stopped using kelly criterion to wager also. I really found this to have huge upside for me but as I wasn't taking it as seriously as 2019 this went by the wayside which also contributed to worse results.

Hoping to be serious again as study has finished. I'll never be a pro but my aim is a funded holiday each year through gambling. Wasn't achieved in 2020 (was in 18 & 19) but hopefully 2021 it gets done again

2016 Profit: $876
2017 Profit: $6646
2018 Profit: $56385
2019 Profit: $63736
2020 Profit: $159683

This year has been extremely validating for me as a full-timer. There was a lot of uncertainty when covid hit, which also introduced a bunch of potential x-factors with gyms closing, mandatory quarantines, possible long term side effects etc. Overall though it didn't seem to have too much of an effect on fighters. It did however lead to a record number of cancellations, I had over 200k in bets cancelled this year. The break from March 14th to May 9th where we saw 5 events cancelled gave me time to step back and really improve my process which showed in my results. I was only up $5580 when we started up again in May, but was able to profit another $154103 in the following 8 months, raising my unit size from 800 to 1000 sometime around September.

This being my second year of in-depth tracking I have something to compare to. I'll break the rest down into categories.

Bet Types
I saw a huge improvement in my moneyline betting, nearly tripling last years ML ROI at 22.1%. I think we'll see a correlation when I get to odd ranges. Round props stand out too with an 87.7% ROI vs last years 15.6%, with 3x the amount bet on them this year. Totals, KO, and SUB props saw a decline, I actually closed in the negative on KOs and SUBs, though simple Fighter wins ITD props saw a 34.1% ROI. Club n subs and positional TKOs will be the death of me. Unders have always been a challenge for me, and that hasn't changed this year. I was happy to see a 27.1% ROI on u2.5s until I saw my -22.3% ROI on DNGTDs. Overs performed well as usual with a 15.34% ROI.

Odd Ranges
So last year every range was quite profitable EXCEPT -121 to -150 which had a big loss. This specific range seems to be a problem for most bettors and I made a point to stay conscious of it this year. It actually turned out to be my most bet range but I only managed a 7.5% ROI on it. -151 to -199 was my second most bet range and produced the largest profits, same as last year. I was very cautious with betting big favourites and went 32/32 for a 100% hit-rate on lines -300 and lower. -251 to -299 saw a huge reduction in bets, only $8300 wagered vs last years $23636 with smaller units. If we define big favourites as -251 or worse I made more betting big favourites this year than last year despite only wagering $34773 on them vs last years $64601. Looking at underdogs, overall my dog bets performed worse than last year at 22.1% ROI vs last years 35.64%. Narrowing it down +200 to +399 ranges did absurdly well with a 75% ROI

Weight Classes
Last year WW and WBW were the only weight classes I ended negative in. I stayed conscious of it and WW was actually my most bet weight class this year with a 25.1% ROI, WBW was similar with a 25.9% ROI. WFLW is where I sucked this year, my only negative weight class with -14.6%. FW was my most profitable by a wide margin with a 47.2% ROI, followed by MW at 31.7%

Just like last year, my livebet ROI (35.2%) was almost double my prebet ROI (19.5%), and accounted for approximately 30% of the years profit. I knew this would be the case coming into this year yet I still struggled to bet more than 1u live. That seems to be the theme of my year, I felt like I left a lot of money on the table by not going big enough on what I perceived to be big edges. Living off this I try to be conservative avoiding big swings but I need to find the balance. I'm hitting 160u+ every year so it would be foolish not to raise the stakes.

Hope you all made bank this year, it was a wild one. Going forward I won't be posting my bets, at the end of the day the more people winning on MMA the worse it is for us MMA bettors. The bet threads are getting 5k+ views every week and its seeming more and more like the MMA betting community consists of a large amount of tailers. I am always down to talk fights though!

I've been lurking here for awhile.... finally joined and man it's been a blast awaiting your opinions every fight week. I wish you continued success moving forward. Gambling for a living takes a certain type of individual and you have set the bar and proven it can be done. Cant say I blame you for keeping your picks to yourself.

This year has been extremely validating for me as a full-timer. There was a lot of uncertainty when covid hit, which also introduced a bunch of potential x-factors with gyms closing, mandatory quarantines, possible long term side effects etc. Overall though it didn't seem to have too much of an effect on fighters. It did however lead to a record number of cancellations, I had over 200k in bets cancelled this year. The break from March 14th to May 9th where we saw 5 events cancelled gave me time to step back and really improve my process which showed in my results. I was only up $5580 when we started up again in May, but was able to profit another $154103 in the following 8 months, raising my unit size from 800 to 1000 sometime around September.

This being my second year of in-depth tracking I have something to compare to. I'll break the rest down into categories.

Bet Types
I saw a huge improvement in my moneyline betting, nearly tripling last years ML ROI at 22.1%. I think we'll see a correlation when I get to odd ranges. Round props stand out too with an 87.7% ROI vs last years 15.6%, with 3x the amount bet on them this year. Totals, KO, and SUB props saw a decline, I actually closed in the negative on KOs and SUBs, though simple Fighter wins ITD props saw a 34.1% ROI. Club n subs and positional TKOs will be the death of me. Unders have always been a challenge for me, and that hasn't changed this year. I was happy to see a 27.1% ROI on u2.5s until I saw my -22.3% ROI on DNGTDs. Overs performed well as usual with a 15.34% ROI.

Odd Ranges
So last year every range was quite profitable EXCEPT -121 to -150 which had a big loss. This specific range seems to be a problem for most bettors and I made a point to stay conscious of it this year. It actually turned out to be my most bet range but I only managed a 7.5% ROI on it. -151 to -199 was my second most bet range and produced the largest profits, same as last year. I was very cautious with betting big favourites and went 32/32 for a 100% hit-rate on lines -300 and lower. -251 to -299 saw a huge reduction in bets, only $8300 wagered vs last years $23636 with smaller units. If we define big favourites as -251 or worse I made more betting big favourites this year than last year despite only wagering $34773 on them vs last years $64601. Looking at underdogs, overall my dog bets performed worse than last year at 22.1% ROI vs last years 35.64%. Narrowing it down +200 to +399 ranges did absurdly well with a 75% ROI

Weight Classes
Last year WW and WBW were the only weight classes I ended negative in. I stayed conscious of it and WW was actually my most bet weight class this year with a 25.1% ROI, WBW was similar with a 25.9% ROI. WFLW is where I sucked this year, my only negative weight class with -14.6%. FW was my most profitable by a wide margin with a 47.2% ROI, followed by MW at 31.7%

Just like last year, my livebet ROI (35.2%) was almost double my prebet ROI (19.5%), and accounted for approximately 30% of the years profit. I knew this would be the case coming into this year yet I still struggled to bet more than 1u live. That seems to be the theme of my year, I felt like I left a lot of money on the table by not going big enough on what I perceived to be big edges. Living off this I try to be conservative avoiding big swings but I need to find the balance. I'm hitting 160u+ every year so it would be foolish not to raise the stakes.

Hope you all made bank this year, it was a wild one. Going forward I won't be posting my bets, at the end of the day the more people winning on MMA the worse it is for us MMA bettors. The bet threads are getting 5k+ views every week and its seeming more and more like the MMA betting community consists of a large amount of tailers. I am always down to talk fights though!

Nicely done. It’s so important to keep detailed records and stay honest and objective about what’s driving your success and what is contributing to leakage that needs to be tightened up. Congrats and GL in 2021.

Bet Types

Odd Ranges

Weight Classes

Legend.

Bet Types

Odd Ranges

Weight Classes

Respect.
I can't say I'm not disapointed that you won't be posting your picks anymore, I was looking forward to tailing you this year.
Good luck going forward!

Respect.
I can't say I'm not disapointed that you won't be posting your picks anymore, I was looking forward to tailing you this year.
Good luck going forward!

Yeah, that sucks. I leaned quite a bit on Sadistic (Cheers BTW) to help validate my final picks, probably a little more than I should have. Oh well, good things rarely last and I can't blame him to be honest. Good information is rarely free.

They said 2021 couldn't be worse than 2020, then the Sadistics bidded adieu...

But in all seriousness thanks so much for sharing your bets and knowledge all this time, you're an inspiration! I will def be sliding in your dm's for advice when I'm looking to take it to the next level, and GL this year!

Only have been seriously tracking bets since 2019 so I can post my last 2 years of results

2019 +$8755.76
2020 + $43,531.94
2021 so far +$961.29

This is not just ufc but a combo of ufc nfl college basketball and some baseball fantasy sports/pools and nba sprinkled in. I also had a nice little run of Russian table tennis when nothing else was on during Covid haha. I had a great year in the NFL and UFC for the large majority of the profit. My two single biggest wins this year was Dustin Over Hooker -215 $4600/$2142.86 and the chiefs over saints -150 $7665.26/$5110.17. Overall my bet size went way up from last year and my volume obviously did as well especially with all the UFC we got the last 6 months of the year. Going forward I need to improve on not chasing because even the small events or weeks that I lost I chased and it turned out to be bigger losses than I should have had. Sometimes it’s ok to just lay off the last few fights or games if you are having a bad night but admittedly it’s hard to thinking you can win your money back on any one fight or game.

My biggest loss and huge regret was losing $3500 on Tyrone woodley against Gilbert burns that was obviously a terrible decision and I banked on the fact that he wasn’t washed which we found out was clearly not the case. Another loss that was hard to stomach was $1200 on Barboza vs Ige. I still think he won that fight but can’t complain too much because I’ve won plenty of times when the judges mess up the dec.

Well this year was a massive win and the bar is set really high to improve on this number but I’ve always love a good challenge. Here’s to a more profitable 2021 for everyone!

Bet Types

Odd Ranges

Weight Classes

Congrats on an amazing year. Damn you really aren’t posting picks anymore?? I have to admit even though I never directly tailed I would make my bets and hoped you agreed w them and if not I hoped it was one of the few times you were wrong haha. Anyway good luck on your future of sports betting and if you feel so inclined to pop in every once in a while with some of your big picks I’m sure nobody will mind.

@Sadistics instead of shutting it down altogether, create a way for people to pay monthly to gain access to your picks :)

50 people paying $25/mo = 15k passive yearly income

A grand smh.

This is supposed to be a 2020 recap thread, not a let’s beg sadistics to turn tout for a pathetic amount of money thread

it wreaks of desperation in here and it’s likely why the forum is what it is these days.

the guy is telling you how he is profitable but you are just too lazy to do the work. Gambling probably isnt for you if you are constantly on the hunt for picks to tail

Last edited:
Sadistics... what a legend.
Big up you for making a real go at this, and succeeding incredibly.
I for one check your bets exclusively, don’t tail them - but hope any picks I make are also picked by you!
I’ll be gutted your picks aren’t up, but understand it 100%. I’m sure you’ll be even more profitable than last.
Can I ask you, before you make a big bet- what is your final thought process(if you have one)?
Are there any specific factors your consider more than others, such as style differential/odds quality/consistency. Obviously these factors all come in to play, but there must be a combination before you make a final decision on a bet?
Thanks for the content over the past few years, it’s been good watching you win as a lurker!

Back