2x ADCC Silver Medalist & NoGi World Champ: I CANNOT BEAT an Untrained White Belt in a BJJ Match

kpoz12

The No Life King
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Timestamped

Last edited:
Gotta say, that would be very entertaining. Strong, athletic huge guys can be very dangerous. People talk about how there is no puncher's chance in grappling for the untrained, but there really is. Perhaps even more so. A wild, athletic spaz can seriously hurt you. Especially a really big strong one.

I remember when I was doing a drill regarding back control with some people and this very athletic but relatively inexperienced guy reacted to his inability to escape back control by basically somersaulting around the mat with me on his back, trying to dislodge me by slamming headfirst onto the mat. I choked him to bring an end to things and he was actually sore at me over the force with which I apparently applied the choke, ironically enough. Honestly, the guy could have broken my neck. Granted, it was supposed to just be a positional drill and I would have choked him much sooner in a different circumstance, but I think the danger of things like slams from powerful, wild and untrained opponents is very much underestimated by many.

Either way I want to see this.

Fun freak show matches might do a lot to sell grappling to the public, sort of like the road K-1 went down for a bit.

Last edited:
Minowa man already disproved this shit.

One of my coaches has a story about Devon Laratt bicep curling his way out of a Frank Shamrock armbar. Some guys are just too strong.

The funny part about the Mountain is that Game Of Thrones basically nailed how a fight with him would go. If you can run around him and hit him for long enough (ideally with a pointy weapon) you might tire him out enough to win, but the second he grabs a hold of you you're dead. A friend of mine grappled with Antoine Vaillant (pro BB, athletic 275lbs) and said he had to tap to headlocks because he felt his skull would cave in. Hafthor is 165lbs heavier and significantly stronger, he could do scary shit.

One of my coaches has a story about Devon Laratt bicep curling his way out of a Frank Shamrock armbar. Some guys are just too strong.

The funny part about the Mountain is that Game Of Thrones basically nailed how a fight with him would go. If you can run around him and hit him for long enough (ideally with a pointy weapon) you might tire him out enough to win, but the second he grabs a hold of you you're dead. A friend of mine grappled with Antoine Vaillant (pro BB, athletic 275lbs) and said he had to tap to headlocks because he felt his skull would cave in. Hafthor is 165lbs heavier and significantly stronger, he could do scary shit.
i always say jiu jitsu is like a lever, but it isn't magic.

your strength is greatly amplified through proper use of technique. but there are strength differences that simply cannot be overcome, especially if the stronger person also picks up some technical skills.

there's an older guy in my gym who's about 250lbs, lean muscle. i honestly believe he could grab my arm at my wrist and below my elbow and just break it in half with brute force, like you'd snap a twig. rolling with him is like wrestling an ox. half of the things you do just don't work anymore. you get good positioning on him and he just shrugs you off. wanna hold side control on this beast? good luck, the fucker can probably bench press 400lbs without breaking a sweat, pushing me off of him is child's play. technically, he's probably at a blue belt level. i'm a brown belt. he doesn't really beat my ass, but i sure as fuck don't have an easy time getting anything going against him either.

i can only imagine what rolling with hafthor would feel like, when he's 420lbs easily.

i'm a lot better than some of the monsters i've rolled with, and i've gotten the better of them most of the time... but i've also been ragdolled plenty during those rolls. we can all pretend like it doesn't matter, but physical strength is a huge factor in bjj.

Keenan said that to have an interesting discussion on his podcast, and listen how quickly went into " if he learn to force half, and go to an over under, he would be unstoppable" mode.
That require some skill, thus he wouldn't be untrained.

In the gi it wouldn't even be competitive with a guy as skilled as Keenan, that can use all kind of lapel sorceries.
If I am remember correctly, Musumeci, who weights two feathers and a half, had competitive matches during this Euro against Aly (260 pounds and ripped, former world champ) and a huge monster over 300 pounds.

I've submitted some large football players, but I've literally never rolled with a 300lb athlete. Closest thing is an ex 230lb athlete who fattened up to 300lb. I have no idea what a 425 man with abs can do. Can they just break your wrist by grabbing with all there might? I wouldn't be surprised.

People talk about how there is no puncher's chance in grappling for the untrained, but there really is.
In MMA? Of course.

How is to roll with opponent that does have strong fingers, I advise try for example with blacksmith that does use plenty of manual tools on daily basis.
-
For MMA striking training is necessity, because without this even amatuer boxer will land plenty a lot on opponent with 0 striking training.

If these kick boxers, boxers does have trained in striking opponents, they can't bang them like just bag.
opponent with 0 training, then not that much problems trow 2-3 power punches in less than 2 seconds.
-
Aikido guys for example doesn't like opponents for demos that are boxers or even worse: wrestler with training in striking. :D

If I am remember correctly, Musumeci, who weights two feathers and a half, had competitive matches during this Euro against Aly (260 pounds and ripped, former world champ) and a huge monster over 300 pounds.

The landwhale he fought was like over 400lbs with gigantic tits and all and Mikey beat him on penalties with the fatass refusing to do any BJJ.

In MMA? Of course.

I actually wasn't thinking of MMA. Just the potential physical danger presented by huge, strong and explosive untrained people in pure grappling. I've rolled with plenty of strong people myself and I suppose I'm a pretty strong fellow myself, but I'm much more comfortable, generally speaking, with someone of vast strength (my main rolling partner was one of the strongest people I ever met, who could bench close to 600 pounds and single-handed curl 140 pound dumbbells) who has precision and skill. In fact, people of vast strength who are skilled, I'm not really worried about at all, except for in terms of the competitive obstacle their strength may present. Generally speaking, those people have control.

The wild but vastly strong individual is what worries me, I guess because of their unpredictability and just their potential to do harm, intentional or otherwise. I do have a permanently out of place rib that is owed to a very athletic spaz slamming his knee down on me while I had him in a leglock that I was being fairly loose with. Maybe that is part of where my feelings stem from. Another big, but in this case much more skilled individual held up my weight when I went for a flying scissor variation on him and basically fell forward onto the mat, also damaging my ribs. But the means by which he injured me really didn't have anything to do with his skill level.

Big Nog against Bob Sapp comes to mind (even if he was kinda lighter than the Mountain if I recall correctly)

Big Nog against Bob Sapp comes to mind (even if he was kinda lighter than the Mountain if I recall correctly)

Absolutely does. And recall, Nog could've been paralyzed by that piledriver.

Devon Larratt trained with Frank Shamrock? The arm wrestler guy? No way lol

Johnson is roughly 300 lbs here and not exactly an untrained grappler

Exactly what I thought when conor fans were claiming he'd beat that mountain guy up. He'd just get a hold of conor crush and break bones.

Exactly what I thought when conor fans were claiming he'd beat that mountain guy up. He'd just get a hold of conor crush and break bones.
lol at conor beating hafthor in a fight. i remember that shit.

there's actually a pretty accurate simulation of how the fight would go available online, you can check it below:

Minowa man already disproved this shit.
A man of quality.

For the rest of you....the world has changed.

I feel it in the water.

I feel it in the earth.

I smell it in the air.

Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it. The one style to rule them all. That of the SUPERHLUK champ.

Back