Social A new study bolsters evidence that severe obesity is increasing in young kids in the US

The problem is their fat parents introducing them to fat food portions and teaching them thats just how people eat. People being overweight and unhealthy is one thing but if you want to explain the extreme cases of people having a gravitiational pull that's the issue. With adults we just aren't very active and sit down all day but kids are generally going to school walking around and burning way more calories. If they are obese it's because someone taught them to be obese.
The whole you must clean your plate even if your full mentality isn't exactly helpful indeed.

Fast food is a cheap option if you’re looking at a purely “dollars to calorie” option. For 2 or 3
Bucks you can raid the dollar menu and get eat 1200-1400 calories. That being said, beans, rice, and fresh veggies are still cheaper if you’re buying and cooking for yourself.

Also since it’s the WR I’d like to point out that study after study has shown that republicans and red states are more obese than skinny twink commies like myself and my antifa cell.
Why are the walking Tampons like Antifa and Commies so malnourished? Besides the ones with Blue hair because that seems to cause obesity.

I keep saying it, people's IQs drop about 50pts when it comes to nutrition. Constantly thinking they can "trick" their body into thinking what they're ingesting is healthy. They do it to themselves and then they feed their children that way as well.

Americans are addicted to super palatable food and the FDA has a hand in selling the people of the country up the river for profit. Packaged foods are packed with sugar when sugar has no place near that type of food. Most food is processed to ensure people get addicted to it and eat as much of it, as often as possible.

"stay at home" has infected kid/parent mentality, there are less people interacting in public than in the past, less walking, less in sports, more dependencies on e devices. Combine that with junk food in public school, which is often free, is not helpful either.....

there are a lot of people around here that havent got over the covid mentality totally, afraid of kids getting sick for interacting with other kids, afraid of kids getting adults sick, and vice versa.

this is about the clearest case you can see of public subversion, the weight issue is systematic.

Lol, no they are not. Why does everyone think this? A big mac meal is like 12 dollars. You can get 5 bananas for like 1.50. Or a bag of kale with 5 servings for 3 bucks. Fruits and veggies are basically the cheapest thing in a grocery store. Have you been to a grocery store ever?
Most of the healthy food I eat (fruits, veggies, nuts, lean meats/whey, brown rice) is way cheaper than the crap I see my unhealthy overweight co-workers eat. Its funny to see my co workers come in with a 6 dollar breakfast sandwich when my packet of organic oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter literally cost me half a dollar.

The only scenario I could see in which unhealthy food is significantly cheaper is if someone literally just drinks 2-liter sodas and candy all day which isn't really what's happening.

Even in that scenario if the calorie to dollar ratio leans 40% in their favor it doesn't matter because they eat 2x the number of calories so there still spending more money to get less nutrition and feel like shit

The whole "junk food and fast food is way cheaper than healthy food" is a joke narrative. It's easier for someone to say that than to say "healthy food is boring, I'd rather just be addicted to salt, trans fat, and sugar"

The prices of groceries have sky rocketed since 2021 and every year since then you can see the kids getting fatter and fatter. In this climate I feel bad for the parents trying to feed their kids healthy food when its cheaper to buy crap...Plus closing schools and parks like idiots during the Sweet and Sour Sniffle "Pandemic"...didnt help a bit.
See, it’s not terribly more expensive to buy healthy food over junk, if more expensive at all. Plenty of cheap, healthy fruits and vegetables. Even canned vegetables are cheaper, and much better for you, than getting fast food garbage. It’s a time/laziness issue. People do not want to take the time to go out, “research” what’s on sale, go to the store, and then cook and clean. It’s far easier to get some crap burgers and shove em in their pie holes. See this all the time with people. “Fuck it. Let’s just go get some Taco Bell.” Would hear something similar all the time from people.

Unless the kids are in some sort of organized sport, I don't think they just casually play with their friends outside anymore. Diet is obviously a huge factor but I don't think kids are eating than much more than they used to. They just aren't burning it the same way.

It comes down to fat, ignorant parents feeding their children junk every day for every meal. Soda, fruit juice, random processed packaged foods and frozen meals, chips, cakes, sweets, cookies, etc. The parents feed themselves with this so obviously they don't see the issue feeding their spawn with it too. It's normalized. By the time the child is grown up and can make their own food decisions it's an uphill battle as they've got a million bad habits to unlearn.
True to an extent. Many grocery stores closed in poor neighborhoods, which left many families having to rely on dollar stores. You're not going to get the best food in these places.

Unless the kids are in some sort of organized sport, I don't think they just casually play with their friends outside anymore. Diet is obviously a huge factor but I don't think kids are eating than much more than they used to. They just aren't burning it the same way.
Yep, my friends and I ate plenty of junk food growing up in the 90s but we were always outside unless the weather sucked. Of course we only had cable TV and video games while kids today have more sedentary options.

True to an extent. Many grocery stores closed in poor neighborhoods, which left many families having to rely on dollar stores. You're not going to get the best food in these places.
What percentage or portion of the rise of childhood obesity do you personally think can be attributed to the “food deserts” that many folks face? They definitely play a role, but I am curious as to just how much.

Parents have no idea how much to feed their children. They also have no idea what calories they're intaking, macros, micronutrients, nothing. Literally oblivious.

I try not to be petulant about it but fuck, get your kid some protein and fresh foods.

Well they took away PE in school, so I'm not surprised. Plus kids seemed to be glued to screens.

What percentage or portion of the rise of childhood obesity do you personally think can be attributed to the “food deserts” that many folks face? They definitely play a role, but I am curious as to just how much.
I don't remember if the podcast Planet Money gave numbers. It's been a while.

Less active parents=less active children. Not even including the horrible diet we are feeding our kids.

Maybe it is just me, but I see far less people just out and about in general. Fat, humongous people are on the rise, and with that, their children. They do not keep themselves in shape, so of course their kids will follow suit. They really have no say in the matter.
My daughter's watch counts her steps. The data it collects is quite interesting.

Exercise wise, this is how her week looks:

- P.E. and sports after school.
- P.E. but no sports after school.
- Sports after school, but no P.E.
- No P.E. and no Sports after school.

When looking at the data, her steps each day do not differentiate very much each day. Whether she has structured exercise or not, she still puts in the same amount of steps.

I am not a scientist, but I wonder if kids are hardwired to exercise whether they know they are or not.

If kids are burning the same amount of calories each day, this tends me to believe diet is a bigger culprit.

With that said, I still think there is a hidden environmental variable at play.

This is good news. Fat people make funny videos.

Well they took away PE in school, so I'm not surprised. Plus kids seemed to be glued to screens.
I worked at a school years ago that got rid of PE. As a result, the middle school aged kids (boys in particular) kept being sent to my office for misbehaving in class.

I decided to take the kids who got sent to me the most often and played football with them during the lunch period. I had the cafeteria pack a lunch for them and they met me on the school field.

Due to having to wear a tie at work, I was all-time QB. So, I had the kids simply run and catch for 30 minutes each day.

The amount of misbehaving in class plummeted after that.

My daughter's watch counts her steps. The data it collects is quite interesting.

Exercise wise, this is how her week looks:

- P.E. and sports after school.
- P.E. but no sports after school.
- Sports after school, but no P.E.
- No P.E. and no Sports after school.

When looking at the data, her steps each day do not differentiate very much each day. Whether she has structured exercise or not, she still puts in the same amount of steps.

I am not a scientist, but I wonder if kids are hardwired to exercise whether they know they are or not.

If kids are burning the same amount of calories each day, this tends me to believe diet is a bigger culprit.

With that said, I still think there is a hidden environmental variable at play.

I worked at a school years ago that got rid of PE. As a result, the middle school aged kids (boys in particular) kept being sent to my office for misbehaving in class.

I decided to take the kids who got sent to me the most often and played football with them during the lunch period. I had the cafeteria pack a lunch for them and they met me on the school field.

Due to having to wear a tie at work, I was all-time QB. So, I had the kids simply run and catch for 30 minutes each day.

The amount of misbehaving in class plummeted after that.
Like yourself, I am no scientist, so can not say definitively what all the causes are. I think kids do what they are taught. Unlike your daughters, my two youngest sons don’t do shit. At all. Doubt they can even fathom how to go outside and greet strange kids anymore. Due to their mother never making them do anything, that is exactly what they do. Good on them for keeping on the move.
There could definitely be some other hidden causes too. Our food over here is just awful in general compared to many places, unless you put in extra effort into getting higher quality meats and veg.

Also good for you for taking them boys out for exercise. Boys and girls are not the same, and our schools are doing a great disservice to the kids by keeping boys herded to one or two places all day. It creates long standing issues with them and nobody seems interested in solving it.

Last edited:
Parents have no idea how much to feed their children. They also have no idea what calories they're intaking, macros, micronutrients, nothing. Literally oblivious.

I try not to be petulant about it but fuck, get your kid some protein and fresh foods.
it took me a while to train my wife......... three meals a day is not necessary

Back