A win over a 37-yo WW with broken knees counts for nothing

Yeah ufc should cut usman. He’s worthless. He was never my friend, never any good, ignore all those official rankings and p4p positions he held

Khamzat hater timeline:

“Burns is just a fat LW. That win means nothing.”

“Holland can’t wrestle. That win means nothing.”

“Usman is old and has bad knees. That win means nothing.”

“Strickland was a weak champ. That win means nothing.”

“Alex Pereira is a kickboxer with no grappling. Beating him to become double champ means nothing.”

5 years from now: “The UFC sucks. Khamzat going undefeated and retiring as double champ with the longest win streak ever means nothing. PFL is where the good fighters are.”

People on the internet misinterpreting what Usman said doesn't imply Usman has broken knees. Does he have knee issues in general? Yes, but Leon's best win is over the same guy. A win over Usman at 170 would absolutely earn Khamzat a welterweight title shot, the problem is it's at middleweight. You shouldn't earn a middleweight title shot by fighting a guy who has never fought in that division when there are multiple contenders waiting.

I'm going to side with TS here. I get why Usman was a big fight to make, but he has no meaningful wins at MW, hasn't won a fight in just shy of 2 years, he's on a skid, and he's getting old. His credentials are that he WAS in the semi-recent past a great champ, he has a win over the current MW champ, and he's got a big name.

None of that is to say Usman can't win or Usman isn't an interesting match up, but beating a guy in a slump at a lower weight class doesn't really mean anything for MW.

I love Usman but we're all pretending this is a meaningful MW match up. Cannonier was the fight that would have told us where Chimaev stands in the division.
Yup and Usman defied the odds by succeeding on bad knees, but when you have bad knees you age faster, so it's not unreasonable to think a guy that looked good at 35 could now look like a broken down old man at 37.

It shouldn't count in terms of ranking because both guys aren't really ranked at MW. It counts for the fans because they are both decent fighters. It's a fun matchup even though it seems like one guy has declined.

Khamzat still has no good wins in MMA even if he beats Usman, the guy is an old washed-up broken down Welterweight who tore his knee in the open work-out.

Nobody takes this win seriously in the MW division even if Khamzat pulls it off. Guy's only elite win in MMA is a LW that he scraped a tight decision from.
Your opinion on what counts and doesn't count as a good win is not particularly relevant. Usman is a better fighter than Costa and it's not even debatable.

Khamzat still has no good wins in MMA even if he beats Usman, the guy is an old washed-up broken down Welterweight who tore his knee in the open work-out.

Nobody takes this win seriously in the MW division even if Khamzat pulls it off. Guy's only elite win in MMA is a LW that he scraped a tight decision from.
A lot of an up and comers wins come this way.
Rashad Evans took out a toast Chuck Liddell he never would have beaten a couple years prior. And later Anthony Smith did the same thing to him.
That being said, Zhat's best win is LW Burns (just kidding!). But his dominance in his other wins show his POTENTIAL. I agree beating Usman doesn't show much. But if he beats Strickland, DDP, Whittaker, and Izzy--then we will know for sure.

Usman by most significant foot stomps. Imho

I can't understand wtf he says in post fights. It's mostly mumbles and high pitched screaming. He got planked by a lw and saved by corrupt judges. Exposed!

Usman didn't look anywhere near as good in that second Edwards fight, so there's a chance he really has dropped off.

But one mediocre performance doesn't mean he's finished lmao

I think it's more that Edwards adjusted better and fought a better fight. Usman looked pretty much the same but some of the things he had success with in the first fight didn't work as well.

Back