Advice for my first AR?

sakfjgadsyukgf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the market for my first gun (definitely no, uh, relation to current events or anything). I've fired other people's guns a decent amount, including growing up, but am definitely a total newbie. I've been looking at AR-15s at a local gun shop, they carry a few Rock River Rage ones (a carbine, another model), and a Ruger I think AR-556. Are these guns OK? Any general advice? I just want something for self-defense and general shooting fun. (I was thinking I'd get a handgun after I get more experience with a rifle). Also I now live in a rural state with few gun rules.

I have a friend with a bunch of guns I can ask advice from, but he lives a few states away, and I don't want to bug him repeatedly with multiple newb questions. He explained the 556/223 concept a bit, though I still don't 100% get it.

Like, I think they're mostly .22 calibers. Is that an OK caliber? Would it really stop someone? They also had one .308, but my friend said that's probably a bit too much. (I've fired his AR and also his AK-47 before).

Would love any general advice! If you think those guns suck, I could travel further to another gun store

Hey guys, I'm in the market for my first gun (definitely no, uh, relation to current events or anything). I've fired other people's guns a decent amount, including growing up, but am definitely a total newbie. I've been looking at AR-15s at a local gun shop, they carry a few Rock River Rage ones (a carbine, another model), and a Ruger I think AR-556. Are these guns OK? Any general advice? I just want something for self-defense and general shooting fun. (I was thinking I'd get a handgun after I get more experience with a rifle). Also I now live in a rural state with few gun rules.

I have a friend with a bunch of guns I can ask advice from, but he lives a few states away, and I don't want to bug him repeatedly with multiple newb questions. He explained the 556/223 concept a bit, though I still don't 100% get it.

Like, I think they're mostly .22 calibers. Is that an OK caliber? Would it really stop someone? They also had one .308, but my friend said that's probably a bit too much. (I've fired his AR and also his AK-47 before).

Would love any general advice! If you think those guns suck, I could travel further to another gun store

Rock River's that ive seen were fine.

Since you won't know any better anyway, id say most of the name brand variants should do well enough for you.

My opinion, if you get a carbone, try to get at least the mid-length gas tube on it.

If you want competition grade stuff look here:
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/complete-uppers/3-gun-competition-tactical-uppers.html

Rock rivers are decent ARs. Can I ask, why you want an AR as your first gun?

Don’t buy one in 22. The rock river should have a 5.56/.223 barrel that will allow you to shoot either.

I’d recommend buying it online, unless your getting some kind of deal at your shop. What mode RRA and what’s the out the door price on it?

Rock rivers are decent ARs. Can I ask, why you want an AR as your first gun?

Don’t buy one in 22. The rock river should have a 5.56/.223 barrel that will allow you to shoot either.

I’d recommend buying it online, unless your getting some kind of deal at your shop. What mode RRA and what’s the out the door price on it?

I heard you should get a rifle before a pistol if you don't have too much experience. I was looking at rifles and shotguns in the store, both the guy behind the counter and my friend recommended an AR as a good gun for self defense....

They were probably all 5.56, and I was probably wrong about the 22 thing. Still figuring out gun engineering here.

I'll check out prices, it was like $849-899 for the Rock Rivers I think. Will they really just ship me a rifle if I buy it online??

I don't know the current quality of those. RRA is probably g2g. I would look at Aero as well of possible.

They are .22 caliber but that is not to be confused with a little .22lr rimfire round. 5.56 and .223 is essentially the same thing. 5.56 will have a bit more pressure/velocity.

Yes it will definitely stop someone. You don't need .308/7.62.

79086-223Speer64grGDinBG.JPG

Speer223bullet.jpg

I'll check out prices, it was like $849-899 for the Rock Rivers I think. Will they really just ship me a rifle if I buy it online??

No you can buy things online and have it sent to a gun shop providing they do transfers. They will charge a ffl transfer fee for this. Depending on the area they can be expensive. Here it's only $20 at a shop I use. So if I buy a gun $100-200 cheaper online the $20 fee is worth it. Plus depending on your state you might not get hit with online sales tax saving even more vs paying tax in store.

M and P sport 2 is a very good rifle. Accurate, dependable and comes in at a near budget price.

I heard you should get a rifle before a pistol if you don't have too much experience. I was looking at rifles and shotguns in the store, both the guy behind the counter and my friend recommended an AR as a good gun for self defense....

They were probably all 5.56, and I was probably wrong about the 22 thing. Still figuring out gun engineering here.

Would need to know the model RRA to know if that’s a good deal. But $850 out the door for most RRAs would be a great deal.
In my opinion, ARs in of themselves are hard to beat for self defense. Low recoil, plenty of capacity and stopping power. However, from the viewpoint of potentially going thru the legal system in a self defense scenario, they are less than ideal. Plenty of overeager young DAs out there that would love to go after someone claiming self defense but used an AR. Makes it easier for them to paint a picture that you were inviting a fight, rather than simply defending yourself.

I’m in no way saying don’t buy an AR for self defense, just pointing out one of the few drawbacks.

the viewpoint of potentially going thru the legal system in a self defense scenario, they are less than ideal. Plenty of overeager young DAs out there that would love to go after someone claiming self defense but used an AR. Makes it easier for them to paint a picture that you were inviting a fight, rather than simply defending yourself.

I've seen stuff like this posted in a lot of places but there seems to be like zero legal precedent. Same with having modified self defense guns, like rmr'd Gucci glocks.

I've seen stuff like this posted in a lot of places but there seems to be like zero legal precedent. Same with having modified self defense guns, like rmr'd Gucci glocks.
You think it’s typical range talk heresay? My concealed carry instructor talked about this for quite some time, and I’ve read some articles about it, but you’re right, I haven’t seen any actual legal cases where this has come up. I’ll have to do a little digging to see if there’s any truth to it.

You think it’s typical range talk heresay? My concealed carry instructor talked about this for quite some time, and I’ve read some articles about it, but you’re right, I haven’t seen any actual legal cases where this has come up. I’ll have to do a little digging to see if there’s any truth to it.

I do believe it is. I remember reading a thread on a forum that was trying to find any evidence of it. I don't think any was found. There have plenty of self defense shootings with AR's and modified guns.

I own a Ruger AR .556 and it's an awesome rifle. Versatile and consistent and it was around $700 but you can find similar rifles for half that price.

I, like you am not that knowledgeable about calibers and guns generally, though i grew up with them and have shot many throughout my life. I went to a medium sized outdoorsmens store similar to cabella's and told the gentleman behind the counter what i was thinking and what i kind of knew and didn't know about guns and he was more than helpful and not judgemental at all so if the person selling you the rifle isn't helpful, go somewhere else.

A few things i considered when looking for my ar:

- the longer, collapsible stock cause i'm a tall guy and the length of the barrel and the twist. this affects the accuracy at distance and the overall length of the gun +.

- .223 and .556 capable. these rounds are essentially the same as far as you and i are concerned. one might be cheaper and more readily available in bulk. but it's best to be versatile

- the rail. i looked for a "full" rail because it allows more room for attachments. maybe you're thinking you want iron sights or a scope or both etc. you can add more picatinny rail if you need more room for attachments too.

- extras you might want but don't need
a cleaning kit (maybe clean it after every couple hundred rounds)
a case (soft or hard)
ammo (can be found online, i recently bought 500 rds for around $180 but it can be found for a little cheaper)
ammo case (cheap plastic ones for <$10 or maybe metal military surplus ones)
magazines (it should come with a small one but you'll want more, maybe 30 rounders)
ear plugs/hearing protection (she's loud)
bore sight (its a bullet shaped laser that allows you to more easily dial in the sights)

This is just off the top of my head but remember, these guns are completely customizable and a $500 Ar can be turned into a $5k Ar pretty easily so start basic to learn about it and get used to it then wade into the deeper waters...

I went with tbe S&W M&P15 Sport 2

I put a holosun red dot sight and MAGPUL furniture on my AR15.

If you get an AR, make sure you get a sling for it. I recommend getting a sling for any long gun you folks may have. It's probably the most overlooked upgrade. I use my sling to improve my accuracy and if SHTF and I got to walk long distances, the sling makes it so much easier

I own a Ruger AR .556 and it's an awesome rifle. Versatile and consistent and it was around $700 but you can find similar rifles for half that price.

I, like you am not that knowledgeable about calibers and guns generally, though i grew up with them and have shot many throughout my life. I went to a medium sized outdoorsmens store similar to cabella's and told the gentleman behind the counter what i was thinking and what i kind of knew and didn't know about guns and he was more than helpful and not judgemental at all so if the person selling you the rifle isn't helpful, go somewhere else.

A few things i considered when looking for my ar:

- the longer, collapsible stock cause i'm a tall guy and the length of the barrel and the twist. this affects the accuracy at distance and the overall length of the gun +.

- .223 and .556 capable. these rounds are essentially the same as far as you and i are concerned. one might be cheaper and more readily available in bulk. but it's best to be versatile

- the rail. i looked for a "full" rail because it allows more room for attachments. maybe you're thinking you want iron sights or a scope or both etc. you can add more picatinny rail if you need more room for attachments too.

- extras you might want but don't need
a cleaning kit (maybe clean it after every couple hundred rounds)
a case (soft or hard)
ammo (can be found online, i recently bought 500 rds for around $180 but it can be found for a little cheaper)
ammo case (cheap plastic ones for <$10 or maybe metal military surplus ones)
magazines (it should come with a small one but you'll want more, maybe 30 rounders)
ear plugs/hearing protection (she's loud)
bore sight (its a bullet shaped laser that allows you to more easily dial in the sights)

This is just off the top of my head but remember, these guns are completely customizable and a $500 Ar can be turned into a $5k Ar pretty easily so start basic to learn about it and get used to it then wade into the deeper waters...

Thanks man, yeah this is exactly the kind of advice I had in mind. The guy in the store couldn't be nicer, I've been in there twice already poking around, asking questions. Gonna buy probably one of the Rock Rivers this weekend.

Funny story, I'm out in the country and we lost power this afternoon for about an hour and a half, for whatever reason. I called the power company and their automated line said power was out to my town and like 6 other towns around us. I was thinking, damnit that's it, SHTF and society has collapsed, power grid's out, and I don't have my AR yet. Was a tense time until it came back on an hour ago lol

AR's are what they are. For a beginner, factory rifles are all good enough. It really comes down to how much you wanna spend and if you come across something sexy enough to make you spend more.

Back