Multiplatform Alan Wake II

Huge fan of the first game.. couple chapters in since this released.

Sam Lake and remedy are really pushing forward the medium of how multimedia can be implemented in a game..

hilarious how Alex Casey is effectively Max Payne tho

Been playing for about 14 hours and this game encapsulates everything I detest about AAA games these days.

High production values, with abysmal aesthetic orientation, pretentious, and hollow. The writing and dialog are embarrassingly childish and cliched beyond belief, and the voice acting is terrible. The character cast is woven of uniformly predictable caricatures and stereotypes: the detective genius endowed with cunning intuition, who can 'see' into the mind of the criminals, much to the awe of her dim-witted colleagues. But she is also a mom, always suspended in thought between the demands of her work and her remote relation to the missing daughter... the cultish-pagan sectarian mystery evildoers, guttural metal-voices and all. And progressive nods toward the supernatural, and Aliens, of course.

The level design is generic and uninspired; every setting feels like a series of narrow corridors of highly cluttered visual detail with nothing to do except click A at encircled points. Dead ends everywhere without purposes, invisible walls keeping you on your tracks God-of-War style, environments that are essentially indifferent background ornamentation, making the experience feel not just linear, but empty.

The 'profiling' and case-solving system consists essentially of dragging photographs into these moronic flowcharts, having Hannibal-like 'intuition' into the minds of the deranged target(s) by literally just clicking options from a menu and watching a cutscene, listening to collages of monologue, clairvoyance into past events through sudden flashbacks, as is predictably done in the genre at its worst. The game requires you to keep accessing the 'hub' to paste photographs in the wall to keep building these automated flowcharts and get cutscenes, which requires no skill or thought at all. The puzzles are so woefully stupid they feel like chores more than clever challenges. Lots of reading comes your way, all of it bad. Gunplay is relatively sparce, enemies are spongy but easy, the designs are boring, and the controls are standard.

Mechanically, the game overall thus feels extremely dated and unoriginal. There's enormous pacing issues. The game starts almost as an insufferable slog that takes literally hours before you do anything resembling gameplay. It's an interactive movie with trite dialog, cutscenes, resembling a point and click adventure for 10 year olds.

Frankly, this game is a symptom of everything wrong in the industry: uninspired attempts to emulate a big 'Hollywood' production, that is at its core dumb, derivative, and ugly. That this can be lauded for its 'originality and ambition' (Gamespot, IGN...) in a world where games like Disco Elysium, the Witness, or Obduction exist is baffling.

This is an enormous step back from Control, which is overrated but very fun to play regardless.

Last edited:
Been playing for about 14 hours and this game encapsulates everything I detest about AAA games these days.

High production values, with abysmal aesthetic orientation, pretentious but hollow. The writing and dialog are embarrassingly childish and cliched beyond belief, and the voice acting is terrible. The character cast is woven of uniformly predictable caricatures and stereotypes: the detective genius endowed with cunning intuition, and can 'see' into the mind of the criminals, much to the awe of her dim-witted colleagues, but who is also a mom... the cultish-pagan sectarian mystery evildoers, guttural metal-voices and all. And progressive nods toward the supernatural, and Aliens, of course.

The level design is generic and uninspired; every setting feels like a series of narrow corridors of highly cluttered visual detail with nothing to do. Dead ends everywhere without purposes, invisible walls keeping you on your tracks God-of-War style, environments that are essentially utterly non interactive except select points, making the experience feel not just linear, but empty.

The 'profiling' and case-solving system consists essentially of dragging photographs into these moronic flowcharts, having Hannibal-like 'intuition' into the minds of the criminal by literally just clicking options from a menu and watching a cutscene, listening to monologue insights and scattered recordings. The game requires you to keep accessing the 'hub' to paste photographs in the wall building automated flowcharts and get cutscenes. The puzzles are so woefully stupid they feel like chores more than clever challenges. Lots of reading comes your way, all of it bad. Gunplay is relatively sparce, enemies are spongy but easy, the designs are boring, and the controls are standard.

Mechanically, the game overall thus feels extremely dated and unoriginal. There's enormous pacing issues. The game starts almost as an insufferable slog that takes literally hours before you do anything resembling gameplay. It's an interactive movie with trite dialog, cutscenes, and an exhaustingly long-winded tutorial-introductory segment that drags on forever, resembling a point and click adventure for 10 year olds.

Frankly, this game is a symptom of everything wrong in the industry: uninspired attempts to emulate a big 'Hollywood' production, that is at its core dumb, derivative, and ugly. That this can be lauded for its 'originality and ambition' (Gamespot, IGN...) in a world where games like Disco Elysium, the Witness, or Obduction exist is baffling.

This is an enormous step back from Control, which is overrated but very fun to play regardless.
Sadly I expected parts of this after they released footage. . The most depressing part for me is the dumbing down to be AAA. Let the fight gameplay be mediocre I still buy it, but I want a complex multilayered story with intelligent character design and dialogue. Its sooo difficult to find nowadays . Elysium is my game of the decade. Sad that the developer mistreated his staff that bad that they left after. Do you know other games regarding narrative development and character portrayal as Elysium?

Regarding Control. I dont think its overrated as it got very little hype when released and not much reception with often mediocre ratings. I avoided the game because of that and was blown away at last playing it. Its just a hot and cold game. The architecture and light implementation is ground breaking , The narrative absolutely immersing and gameplay really good with a steady progression. Worlds better than AW. Dialogue is ok but nothing special. Puzzles are often fun in their visualisation AND you have to find out for yourself. No one holding your hands. I loved that aspect and the overall freedom the game gave me.

BUT the weapons slot upgrade system sucks balls like I rarely found in annother game.. Just HORRIBLE. The weapons are merely ok but really most just use the same until the end. Finding the same shitty weapon upgrades through the whole game devalued the looting system enormous and made a slog out of it. Enemies did not have enough types. At some point it got pretty easy but honestly I thought that was ok .In the end Control is by far the best game Remedy ever released in my book. I am really disappointed they went back from this open approach to gameplay.

Sadly I expected parts of this after they released footage. . The most depressing part for me is the dumbing down to be AAA. Let the fight gameplay be mediocre I still buy it, but I want a complex multilayered story with intelligent character design and dialogue. Its sooo difficult to find nowadays . Elysium is my game of the decade. Sad that the developer mistreated his staff that bad that they left after. Do you know other games regarding narrative development and character portrayal as Elysium?

Regarding Control. I dont think its overrated as it got very little hype when released and not much reception with often mediocre ratings. I avoided the game because of that and was blown away at last playing it. Its just a hot and cold game. The architecture and light implementation is ground breaking , The narrative absolutely immersing and gameplay really good with a steady progression. Worlds better than AW. Dialogue is ok but nothing special. Puzzles are often fun in their visualisation AND you have to find out for yourself. No one holding your hands. I loved that aspect and the overall freedom the game gave me.

BUT the weapons slot upgrade system sucks balls like I rarely found in annother game.. Just HORRIBLE. The weapons are merely ok but really most just use the same until the end. Finding the same shitty weapon upgrades through the whole game devalued the looting system enormous and made a slog out of it. Enemies did not have enough types. At some point it got pretty easy but honestly I thought that was ok .In the end Control is by far the best game Remedy ever released in my book. I am really disappointed they went back from this open approach to gameplay.

Disco Elysium is on a league of its own when it comes to writing, and in the genre nothing comes close. I think Myst and Riven remain in many ways unsurpassed when it comes to world-building in games, so it you are into that kind of immersive puzzle game I highly recommend Obduction by the same developers (Cyan). Very different than DE, but really worth a watch. Riven remains beyond words, even if it is technologically as dated as they come; it is a degree of maturity one wishes more developers had. That it is 16 years old blows my mind.

Kentucky Route Zero is definitely worth it for some gritty americana realism, with good writing. What Remains of Edith Finch is a good narrative game, just don't expect much in the way of gameplay.

Control was fun for sure, and immeasurably more entertaining than AW2. It was kinetic and very satisfying mechanically, even if you decided to ignore the story (which I found mostly silly and pretentious dystopian psychological thriller / horror sci-fi).

Hmmm surprised by the negativity. Been hearing great things about it pretty much everywhere else. I might get to it soon.

Hmmm surprised by the negativity. Been hearing great things about it pretty much everywhere else. I might get to it soon.
Have seen little to no negativity outside resource-hogging, FWIW. To each his own, of course.

I'm three hours in only but damn this game has very little pew pew and a whole lot of looking around your environment. I am a very patient gamer...I hope this is just the beginning because constantly going to the board as Saga and looking for easy clues and puzzles is getting a bit tedious already.

I read on reddit a lot of fans stopped the game by hour 5-7 because of this. I dont need a game to be mindless shooting for it to be good but outside the amazing art so far the game has been boring. Sometimes this works out for me in a game and I hope I regret saying this but its very boring thus far.

I was super excited for Alan Wake 1 and I remember feeling it was a 7/10 at best and could have been so much more. This game feels different...I wouldnt give it a score yet but the pacing is so off thus far.

I'm three hours in only but damn this game has very little pew pew and a whole lot of looking around your environment. I am a very patient gamer...I hope this is just the beginning because constantly going to the board as Saga and looking for easy clues and puzzles is getting a bit tedious already.

I read on reddit a lot of fans stopped the game by hour 5-7 because of this. I dont need a game to be mindless shooting for it to be good but outside the amazing art so far the game has been boring. Sometimes this works out for me in a game and I hope I regret saying this but its very boring thus far.

I was super excited for Alan Wake 1 and I remember feeling it was a 7/10 at best and could have been so much more. This game feels different...I wouldnt give it a score yet but the pacing is so off thus far.

It's a slog.

Really? I went on Reddit and everyone was drooling over this game and calling it Game of the Year. Weird.... I think most reviews are extremely positive. Sitting at 8.8 Userscore on Meta. I guess its not for everyone. I haven't played it though so I don't know

Absolutely loving this game such an upgrade on the first game, the atmosphere and general sense of creepiness is fantastic. The narrative is a lot better than the first game as well, its nowhere near as cheesy.

Can see why some people maybe don't like it as it isn't action packed but I'm loving the general vibe of the game, even the detective/storyboard stuff.

It's also batshit insane, there's one section I just couldn't stop grinning at, it was epic.

Absolutely loving this game such an upgrade on the first game, the atmosphere and general sense of creepiness is fantastic. The narrative is a lot better than the first game as well, its nowhere near as cheesy.

Can see why some people maybe don't like it as it isn't action packed but I'm loving the general vibe of the game, even the detective/storyboard stuff.

It's also batshit insane, there's one section I just couldn't stop grinning at, it was epic.

I'm in the same boat. I finally got some time to play this weekend and I'm really enjoying it. It's survival horror so if you're expecting a run n gun style game here, I would look elsewhere.

I also enjoy the storyboard stuff but I can see why some people don't like it. It's more of a gateway to help explain the story in greater detail than it is being filled with puzzles to solve. I find myself enjoying finding different pieces of information, heading back to the board and slowly piecing things together.

The game does takes patience. After the first boss, I found myself running around for hours looking for things in the woods. It's really easy to get turned around, especially when it's dark.

Currently playing on Hard and I'm not finding it too difficult to stay alive. It's mainly running out of batteries that's the struggle.

I seriously don't understand the point of the case-system in the mind place. You are literally dragging photographs into automated flowcharts. They are mostly painfully obvious, but even when they aren't, it's a point and click trial and error that takes no skill at all. Pick-up photographs that are marked in circles in the environment, go to mindplace, click photograph, paste it under box, watch cuscene. Rinse, repeat, ad nauseam.

Also, and this might just be me not figuring something out, but it seems as if you can't skip the audio exchanges and just go through the writing. The game forces you to listen to the really corny voice acting or else skip the dialog altogether. You can't just read, like in most games. I get this can't be worked around in cutscenes, but it seems as if this is universal for all spoken dialog, including the mind-space monologues and narration.

That's simply insane.

I seriously don't understand the point of the case-system in the mind place. You are literally dragging photographs into automated flowcharts. They are mostly painfully obvious, but even when they aren't, it's a point and click trial and error that takes no skill at all. Pick-up photographs that are marked in circles in the environment, go to mindplace, click photograph, paste it under box, watch cuscene. Rinse, repeat, ad nauseam.

Also, and this might just be me not figuring something out, but it seems as if you can't skip the audio exchanges and just go through the writing. The game forces you to listen to the really corny voice acting or else skip the dialog altogether. You can't just read, like in most games. I get this can't be worked around in cutscenes, but it seems as if this is universal for all spoken dialog, including the mind-space monologues and narration.

That's simply insane.

If you aren't feeling the story and enjoying the cutscenes/dialogue then this game isn't for you I think. Haven't played any Alan Wake as of yet but even I know if the story isn't enjoyable then the game most likely wouldn't be enjoyable either.

Not sure what you were expecting. Complaining about the puzzles being too simple and not requiring skills is... puzzling. Isn't that the norm ala Resident Evil? Were you looking to solve a hard tier sudoku level puzzle game while playing this?

If you aren't feeling the story and enjoying the cutscenes/dialogue then this game isn't for you I think. Haven't played any Alan Wake as of yet but even I know if the story isn't enjoyable then the game most likely wouldn't be enjoyable either.

Not sure what you were expecting. Complaining about the puzzles being too simple and not requiring skills is... puzzling. Isn't that the norm ala Resident Evil? Were you looking to solve a hard tier sudoku level puzzle game while playing this?

No, but pasting photographs into automated flowcharts is not even a puzzle, it's a meaningless chore. There's literally no skill required, at all.

Resident Evil et al have fairly dumb puzzles, but they are not even remotely as overwhelming with narrative, cutscenes, that force you into a constant visit to a hub to listen to endless tape, often mandatory. Even Control was far less intrusive, and managed to tell a story while being fun and interesting mechanically gameplay wise. This is literally clicking A on indicated places, and going to the mind place to paste photographs and listening to cutscenes.

This is an interactive movie, not a game.

If its truly going to stay digital only, I'll wait until it's cheaper. I have a solid backlog and limited gaming time anyways.

I just hope it's as good as the first one, I absolutely loved that game.

Back