Multiplatform Alan Wake II

This game received the highest number of nominations alongside Baldur's Gate 3. I just don't get it. This is going to be one of those games I'm always going to look back on as an example of something people loved that just didn't work for me.

Seems it's just a game some people like. It's like Deathstranding. I'm trying to give it a chance but I don't know I don't get it. Yet if you check Steam reviews that shits a 9/10.

I really didn't like Death Stranding at first, partially because I overrated the importance of carrying things early in the game (essentially a long ass tutorial map). Then, after a while, I dunno, the hooks just got in me and it became a very memorable, positive experience.

I really didn't like Death Stranding at first, partially because I overrated the importance of carrying things early in the game (essentially a long ass tutorial map). Then, after a while, I dunno, the hooks just got in me and it became a very memorable, positive experience.

Must be that Kojima voodoo. So many people have had the same "it gets good after you've suffered through it for a long time" opinion. But hey, even if that's true, there's obviously something about it that keeps people playing.

As for this, I thought the original was overrated as all fuck, so it's not surprising to see this game get similar praise.

I'm currently playing this on ps5. I'm on my 5th chapter (watery) and I've logged in about 15 hours.

Visuals wise this game is very nice on the eyes although it seems a bit dark, I wish I could it brighter without ruining the atmosphere.

Gameplay is very fun and I like the detective/psychic aspect. The dialogue is really interesting and I love the big maps that I can explore and just take my time. The enemies are fun, although the axe throwing ones are doing my tits in when I waste ammo on them. The save spots are cool as well, reminds me of RE2. My one nit pick is I wish we could crouch so we can be a bit more stealthy but it is what it is.

Getting a lot of hours out of a game is important to me. I logged 39 hours on my 1st NG+ TLOU 2 grounded playthrough so if i'm 15 hours in and at chapter 5 out of 18 then i'm pretty happy so far.

I'd honestly say if you want to play it then it's very much worth purchasing

I'm currently playing this on ps5. I'm on my 5th chapter (watery) and I've logged in about 15 hours.

Visuals wise this game is very nice on the eyes although it seems a bit dark, I wish I could it brighter without ruining the atmosphere.

Gameplay is very fun and I like the detective/psychic aspect. The dialogue is really interesting and I love the big maps that I can explore and just take my time. The enemies are fun, although the axe throwing ones are doing my tits in when I waste ammo on them. The save spots are cool as well, reminds me of RE2. My one nit pick is I wish we could crouch so we can be a bit more stealthy but it is what it is.

Getting a lot of hours out of a game is important to me. I logged 39 hours on my 1st NG+ TLOU 2 grounded playthrough so if i'm 15 hours in and at chapter 5 out of 18 then i'm pretty happy so far.

I had to stop playing because of a collectible bug. You can’t get the coffee world koskela brothers commercial from the lobby. Hope they fix it. Going for the platinum and will wait until they fix it. Glad you like it, just finding it okay but a bit boring

I think I'm on Alan's Chapter 4 or 5, I don't recall.

I'm having a fun. A few jump scares really got me. I'm enjoying the story a lot and the way it interweaves through different types of mediums.

I do have a few complaints though with the major one being "now search X area" after you complete an area as a goal. Sometimes I feel like I'm hunting for things that aren't there. The goal stays active even when you collect everything.

I wrapped it up last night and thought it was excellent. It had me gripped the entire way through. Rarely do I play games for the narrative experience as I enjoy getting to the action, but this is one of those games that held my attention the entire time. It felt like an episode of the twilight zone.

The blending of different ways to tell a single story really stood out to me. This comes in visions, papers, live TV, radio, pictures, phone calls etc. they really went all out here and I found it incredible.

There are a lot of themes present in the game that you start to see crack through and eventually let themselves show in full display towards the end. There’s also a few post credit scenes.

It was truly a haunting experience that will lay on my mind for a while. Remedy did it again.

9/10

As much as I'm enjoying the game, I can see why it would he divisive. The "X-Files But Directed By David Lynch" won't work for everyone. Even I'd say sometimes it gets a bit too esoteric for itself.

If the story and characters don't hit for you, it would probably seem slow. I dig the pace for the most part, and it feels like every encounter is meaningful and every enemy has a certain element of threat to them. But if the game doesn't grab you, it isn't gonna work for you.

As much as I'm enjoying the game, I can see why it would he divisive. The "X-Files But Directed By David Lynch" won't work for everyone. Even I'd say sometimes it gets a bit too esoteric for itself.

If the story and characters don't hit for you, it would probably seem slow. I dig the pace for the most part, and it feels like every encounter is meaningful and every enemy has a certain element of threat to them. But if the game doesn't grab you, it isn't gonna work for you.

Agree here. There’s not much of a reason to play the game if you’re not invested in the story. The gunplay isn’t groundbreaking and the light mechanic has been seen in other games.

Great break down for those who have finished and those who would rather catch up on the story than play the game. It helped fill in some major gaps I missed.

Some interesting theories in here with the major one towards the end that I feel stupid for not piecing together. Knowing now, it makes sense.

Also, if the main protagonist is to be believed, it makes the story even more strange.

Been playing for about 14 hours and this game encapsulates everything I detest about AAA games these days.

High production values, with abysmal aesthetic orientation, pretentious, and hollow. The writing and dialog are embarrassingly childish and cliched beyond belief, and the voice acting is terrible. The character cast is woven of uniformly predictable caricatures and stereotypes: the detective genius endowed with cunning intuition, who can 'see' into the mind of the criminals, much to the awe of her dim-witted colleagues. But she is also a mom, always suspended in thought between the demands of her work and her remote relation to the missing daughter... the cultish-pagan sectarian mystery evildoers, guttural metal-voices and all. And progressive nods toward the supernatural, and Aliens, of course.

The level design is generic and uninspired; every setting feels like a series of narrow corridors of highly cluttered visual detail with nothing to do except click A at encircled points. Dead ends everywhere without purposes, invisible walls keeping you on your tracks God-of-War style, environments that are essentially indifferent background ornamentation, making the experience feel not just linear, but empty.

The 'profiling' and case-solving system consists essentially of dragging photographs into these moronic flowcharts, having Hannibal-like 'intuition' into the minds of the deranged target(s) by literally just clicking options from a menu and watching a cutscene, listening to collages of monologue, clairvoyance into past events through sudden flashbacks, as is predictably done in the genre at its worst. The game requires you to keep accessing the 'hub' to paste photographs in the wall to keep building these automated flowcharts and get cutscenes, which requires no skill or thought at all. The puzzles are so woefully stupid they feel like chores more than clever challenges. Lots of reading comes your way, all of it bad. Gunplay is relatively sparce, enemies are spongy but easy, the designs are boring, and the controls are standard.

Mechanically, the game overall thus feels extremely dated and unoriginal. There's enormous pacing issues. The game starts almost as an insufferable slog that takes literally hours before you do anything resembling gameplay. It's an interactive movie with trite dialog, cutscenes, resembling a point and click adventure for 10 year olds.

Frankly, this game is a symptom of everything wrong in the industry: uninspired attempts to emulate a big 'Hollywood' production, that is at its core dumb, derivative, and ugly. That this can be lauded for its 'originality and ambition' (Gamespot, IGN...) in a world where games like Disco Elysium, the Witness, or Obduction exist is baffling.

This is an enormous step back from Control, which is overrated but very fun to play regardless.

I'm about 6 hours in and am basically on board with your thoughts. The puzzle aspect makes me go to Youtube to see how to do things, which really breaks the immersion. Then there's barely any violence. Definitely a no-go for any JBG disciple so far.

Not to mention if you're stoned, who wants to spend all that time in the menu screens?

While I understand the comparison, to put Alan Wake II and David Lynch in the same sentence should be punishable by prison time.

Fucking hell, Remedy has still not fixed the bug. Coffee World video is not collectible even after watching the video and leaving the cabin. I'm not touching this game until they fix that. I'm only doing one playthrough and I want the platinum. They've acknowledged it but it's taking a long time to fix.

Fucking hell, Remedy has still not fixed the bug. Coffee World video is not collectible even after watching the video and leaving the cabin. I'm not touching this game until they fix that. I'm only doing one playthrough and I want the platinum. They've acknowledged it but it's taking a long time to fix.

Thanks for the heads up wont be touching this until it's fixed.

UPDATE: Ok I beat Alan Wake 2. If you checked a few pages ago I said this game is underwhelming and when does it get good? It really grew on me mid game - end and I give it an 8.9/10.

My issue is that casing files constantly makes this game a hard digest. My cousin was asking me for a good game to play and I wanted to recommend this but constantly casing picture files in the mind room is not for every one.

I'm happy to say it went from a 6/10 early game to a much higher score for me but the game is really trying to push out anyone who wants to have some fun early on. Overall much better than Alan Wake 1 for me but I would really appreciate it if they can get to a god damn point in this game story line wise.

The ending was semi disappointing as I heard from others.

UPDATE: Ok I beat Alan Wake 2. If you checked a few pages ago I said this game is underwhelming and when does it get good? It really grew on me mid game - end and I give it an 8.9/10.

My issue is that casing files constantly makes this game a hard digest. My cousin was asking me for a good game to play and I wanted to recommend this but constantly casing picture files in the mind room is not for every one.

I'm happy to say it went from a 6/10 early game to a much higher score for me but the game is really trying to push out anyone who wants to have some fun early on. Overall much better than Alan Wake 1 for me but I would really appreciate it if they can get to a god damn point in this game story line wise.

The ending was semi disappointing as I heard from others.

Nice I think this is going to be my next game after AC6 not sure yet. Does it do a good job of reminding you what happened in AW1? I remember the main points overall.

Nice I think this is going to be my next game after AC6 not sure yet. Does it do a good job of reminding you what happened in AW1? I remember the main points overall.

It did an okay job of reminding you. The tricky part that threw me off guard was that when you play as Saga you have this 'mind room' so almost every where you go you find stuff and the mind room gets filled with photos that you have to organize. It was very tedious at first until I got used to it

When you play as Alan Wake he sort of has a mind room but instead of collecting files and stuff he changes his settings in his mind room ie you're in some hall way and click on his mind room and press a button now the hall way changes with some bad guys in it or some reflection you have to see. At first it felt less linear than it really is but the game is straight forward.

It got a little frustrating in the beginning until I understood what the game was asking of me. It's a very good game I'm happy to say with a hard boring intro imho. Hang in there it gets legit early to mid game.

This game had such highs and lows for me. The first couple of hours were so boring. The ending was awful and felt like a slap in the face after playing all those hours. Plenty of unanswered questions too which is annoying. Felt like one of those movies that abruptly ends so people will watch the next one. Always thought that was a cheap tactic, would have preferred an actual ending because there's never a guarantee in life that they'll be a next one, especially if it sells poorly and I'm hearing the numbers aren't that great.

However, I loved the Valhalla Nursing Home section and the last few chapters of Alan's story. The sense of immersion in these areas was fantastic.

It did a lot of things other games don't do so I give them some credit for that.

Gameplay needs a lot of work. If it had gameplay on par with the latest Resident Evil games this would easily be an 8 or even 9 out of 10 game.

I score it 7/10 overall. Didn't love it but I finished it which at least means that it at least kept me interested.

Really wanted to add how confusing of a gaming experience Alan Wake II was. I was certain by early to mid game this was another deathloop overrated game in the making. The mid game was 8/10 but Saga's mind room was a tedious choir at best and took away from the momentum of the game.

The last three hours of this game were a 10/10. I think they need to not wait so long to introduce some combat in this game. Way too many miniscule choirs in the game that add nothing to it. Also thought Sam Lake worked a little too hard to make sure he was in this game a lot though he added a lot to the character his long drawn out clips were not super unecessary.

I also felt Alan Wake I was overrated...would say this game is a solid 8/10 for the uber patient gamer which is rare now a days. I dont blame anyone for feeling this was a hard push to get to anything that resembles fun. By the end I hardly understood what the hell the storyline was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back