Alijamain Sterling is right re: BJJ

Oh yeah, pulling guard can definitely be an offensive action and in sub-only, it's completely above table. My issue is solely around scoring impact under BJJ rules. If you're starting from the feet and TDs are scored, you shouldn't be allowed to take yourself down before your opponent does, without incurring some penalty or at least some greater restriction around passivity. It would be like boxing allowing you to punch yourself in the face and knock yourself down so you get a standing 8 count to catch your breath, but it doesn't count as a knock down because you did it to yourself.
A truly well-crafted analogy. Excellent way to demonstrate the lunacy of non-penalized guard pulls.

Respectfully disagree, I see martial arts as symbolic, you can KO someone who has full guard on you, we see this in MMA, so passing guard shouldn’t be required, whereas pulling guard in a real life fight is just poor tactics, unless you’re fighting a complete newb.
This is grappling. There are no KOs in grappling. That is such a dumb argument because even by your logic, that still requires you to enter the fucking guard. Not run away for 10 minutes, which "symbolically" reflects poorly on martial arts. You can't fight with your back to your opponent and you can't fight from 10 feet away.

Most fights in real life are against clueless dumbasses. Most people who know how to fight don't go around randomly picking fights over dumb shit. Ive been in fights where I was the bottom and the top guy and was fine. And once again, does not apply to this scenario as this is not a street fight.

Aljo signed up for a sub only bjj fight and spent the whole time avoiding his opponent. Yall are glorifying refusing to fight. At least the butt scooter actually attacked a fucking armbar. Learn how to pass fucking guard. It shouldn't be this complicated

A truly well-crafted analogy. Excellent way to demonstrate the lunacy of non-penalized guard pulls.
Sub only rules are the only ones that allow you to just sit. I hate sub only. It rewards silly tactics, passivity, stalling, and bad positional grappling

There is so much incorrect information here. Idk if you don't do bjj, don't compete, or what but let's address this. Bjj is a grappling sport so your opitions are to engage or disengage. You can't attack or advance by running away. Regardless of if you're on top or bottom, you have to move forward.

Bringing up mma is completely irrelevant because the ruleset is not transitional to bjj. You can still engage without entering the guard. You have additional tools that allow this, so it is not the same.

And no sport bjj doesn't favor the person on bottom. The top person has more means to score than the bottom and guard pulling is often penalized, refs will absolutely stand you up, and penaltiesare regularly given out for stalling/disengaging. You can slam in many rule sets but, from experience, you rarely have the chance to slam when the person is aware of the threat and it often doesn't amount to much.

And if you find the action of attempting passes, sweeps, and subs to be a "a boring stalemate " then grappling probably just isn't for you. That's literally active guard play. All of which doesn't apply to this match because ALJO NEVER TRIES TO DO ANYTHING! This was a failure on the refs part for not punishing Aljo's inactivity.

Sambo has almost no popularity outside of Russia. Karate is much less popular than bjj as a watched sport. As is judo despite its Olympic presence. Wrestling is the only one that can be considered a major spectacle sport out of the 4. And even then it's popularity is very comparable bjjs despite its seniority.

There's plenty of valid criticism to be had in regards to sib only bjj and the meta in IBJJF but your claims come off as an outsider perspective or based on third hand comments. It is ridiculous to defend someone for turning their back and walking away (as if that would at all be logical in a fight) because they don't want to take any risk while admonishing guard pulling for the sane reasons.

I've been doing BJJ, wrestling, MMA, and boxing/MT for over a decade and have competed a bunch in BJJ as an upper belt. I've also competed in Judo as well. So I'm more than familiar with all those styles.

I also find it funny you say "grappling isn't for me", but most people who practice BJJ don't want to watch a BJJ match. There's a reason why BJJ has poor viewership across the board. A lot of people, including people I train with have the same valid and correct criticisms on the current sport of BJJ. I'm not defending Aljo, but he also isn't wrong for wanting to disengage and not willingly jump into the guard of someone who flops on their back.

And yes, sport BJJ DOES favor the person on the bottom. Name another combat sport where going to your back is considered a neutral position? Its not in wrestling, judo, sambo, muay thai, boxing, or MMA. If you went to your back in any of those sports, with the slight exception of MMA, you'd either lose the match, be deducted points, or be stood up. The ruleset in BJJ gives pulling guard or sitting to your butt an oversized advantage by its very nature because its not penalized.

And if you want to compare Aljo's match to a real fight, then its more ridiculous to defend someone who butt scoots. Sitting to your butt and scooting forward is not real offense. Imagine if a high school bully tried to do that to someone? What would they do? Just walk away because its not a threat. The only reason its slightly a threat in BJJ is because the rulesets protect that type of behavior.

I'm lucky that I currently train at a gym where we don't pull guard and are basically forced to train takedowns. But most gyms aren't like that and the sport overall suffers from it from a self-defense perspective and for those wanting to transition into MMA or other related sports like Judo. I've trained at some top gyms too like Gracie Barra, 10th Planet, and 50/50, and the difference between those that emphasize having to wrestle is night and day. The only people who defend guard pulling and butt scooting are those who lack good takedowns. I don't necessarily have an issue with guard pulling per se, but if I were to pull guard in a tournament, i'd also expect to be penalized in some way. That's not the case in most BJJ tournaments today.

Also, you couldn't be more incorrect about Judo. Its the most popular combat sport in the world based on pure numbers and also it being in the Olympics. BJJ isn't close to it in terms of numbers. That's a very "United States or Brazil" view of sports if you think BJJ is bigger than Judo or wrestling globally.

Bringing up mma is completely irrelevant because the ruleset is not transitional to bjj. You can still engage without entering the guard. You have additional tools that allow this, so it is not the same.

No its not, because BJJ is still a combat sport and supposed to be created for self defense. "Combat" being the key word there. In real combat, you'd never go to your back or butt scoot. Like I said above, no other combat sport incentivizes that like BJJ. Most of us who train understand why that's the case in BJJ. Its to differentiate it from wrestling or judo. But by doing so, you completely bypass tons of other meta elements of grappling like takedowns, takedown scrambles, throws, and trips. Statistically, most guards are passed off of takedowns or scrambles. They aren't done based off of someone going into someone else's guard and just being a better guard passer. That's a myth.

Respectfully disagree, I see martial arts as symbolic, you can KO someone who has full guard on you, we see this in MMA, so passing guard shouldn’t be required, whereas pulling guard in a real life fight is just poor tactics, unless you’re fighting a complete newb.
This is the correct mentality. IDK why, but sport BJJ players are the only people who I see who defend guard pulling or butt scooting.

Do that in wrestling, Judo, or sambo and you'd lose. The rules in BJJ unfairly protect this behavior. At least in wrestling, judo, or sambo you have exchanges on the feet and ground. In modern sport BJJ, you can get away with never having to attempt a standing takedown based on the ruleset. It waters down BJJ and makes it way less effective as a martial art.

Charles Olivera regularly uses complex open guards and guards that are often considered "sport bjj guards". Open guards are used by many mma fighters to initiate quick sweeps in transition, create space to scramble, or attack leg locks.
This exactly proves my point. Charles is a 3rd degree black belt with a very good guard. But in MMA, Islam Makachev, a BJJ white belt, hit him with a throw to land in half guard. He later knocked down Charles with a punch, but used the scramble from the feet to pass his guard to side control and then an arm triangle. In straight BJJ, Islam would never pass Charles guard. But with takedowns or scrambles from the feet, like in wrestling, judo, or sambo, he could easily pass his guard. So why in a combat sport, would I willingly walk into someone's guard or towards a butt scooter when the ruleset unrealistically protects them?

Leg locks aren't used that much in MMA for a reason. That reason is punches and putting yourself in a bad position. Leg locks are all in vogue in sport BJJ right now, but again, the ruleset incentivizes how they're set up from a guard pull or person on bottom. I'm not against leg locks either, but I also don't think someone who pulls guard or butt scoots should have an easier time grabbing a leg because of ruleset either.

It's not a street fight. The top player still has more advantages than the bottom player even without strikes. Top player has more ways to score and often gets awarded decisions in close matches because it is seen as the more dominant position. Sucking at passing guard is a personal problem. If you cannot compete with high level guard players...then don't compete until you can pass guard. Black belts pass each other's guards all the time. There's no excuse for not engaging. Just suck less.
The top player does not have more advantages. There are no submissions the top player can do from guard. That's where most BJJ takes place. The top player has to advance his position before he can do a submission to end the match. The bottom player can throw up tons of submissions from guard. Without strikes, the top player's only choice is to pass guard.

Without strikes, the bottom player, again, gets an unrealistic advantage based on the ruleset. The top player could just stand back up and exit guard. But again, the rule set protects the bottom player because most of the time they won't be forced to stand back up to engage the now standing top player.

This is grappling. There are no KOs in grappling. That is such a dumb argument because even by your logic, that still requires you to enter the fucking guard. Not run away for 10 minutes, which "symbolically" reflects poorly on martial arts. You can't fight with your back to your opponent and you can't fight from 10 feet away.

Most fights in real life are against clueless dumbasses. Most people who know how to fight don't go around randomly picking fights over dumb shit. Ive been in fights where I was the bottom and the top guy and was fine. And once again, does not apply to this scenario as this is not a street fight.

Aljo signed up for a sub only bjj fight and spent the whole time avoiding his opponent. Yall are glorifying refusing to fight. At least the butt scooter actually attacked a fucking armbar. Learn how to pass fucking guard. It shouldn't be this complicated

You know what's also grappling? Wrestling and takedowns. Same logic applies. Learn how to fucking wrestle or get a takedown. In no other combat sport can you "fight" your opponent while sitting down or butt scooting towards them. It let's one person determine the direction of the match with no effort or risk. This only happens in BJJ. So don't be surprised when the top person doesn't want to play that game.

Last edited:
I've been doing BJJ, wrestling, MMA, and boxing/MT for over a decade and have competed a bunch in BJJ as an upper belt. I've also competed in Judo as well. So I'm more than familiar with all those styles.
I don't believe you did bjj lol. Sorry, it's just that the statements and comparisons you make demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding the sport. I definitely believe you did judo. I think this is a very roundabout judo superiority post that you're disguising as a bjj post.
I also find it funny you say "grappling isn't for me", but most people who practice BJJ don't want to watch a BJJ match. There's a reason why BJJ has poor viewership across the board. A lot of people, including people I train with have the same valid and correct criticisms on the current sport of BJJ. I'm not defending Aljo, but he also isn't wrong for wanting to disengage and not willingly jump into the guard of someone who flops on their back.
Based on what lol? I've trained at 7 or 8 different gyms across the country and never have I ever met someone who does bjj and doesn't enjoy watching it. I know people who don't watch it religiously or who only watch specific comps but NEVER anyone who doesn't like watching bjj at all.

Every time you claim it's better to literally run from your opponent for 10 minutes than to pull guard, I laugh. I can't take yall seriously. Just say you can't pass guard.

And yes, sport BJJ DOES favor the person on the bottom. Name another combat sport where going to your back is considered a neutral position? Its not in wrestling, judo, sambo, muay thai, boxing, or MMA. If you went to your back in any of those sports, with the slight exception of MMA, you'd either lose the match, be deducted points, or be stood up. The ruleset in BJJ gives pulling guard or sitting to your butt an oversized advantage by its very nature because its not penalized.
Lol yet another terrible comparison. Wrestling has no submissions. Judo barely has any action after the throw. MT has no grappling. Boxing has no grappling. This is such a brain dead take. You get stood up and lose in all of these because IT ISNT SUBMISSION GRAPPLING. Duh.

And in most of these sports you are rewarded for doing dumb shit. In wrestling you learn to turtle up and expose your back to prevent a pin which is terrible for self defense and sub grappling. Boxing teaches you to clinch without consequences. Judo is so bastardized from what it once was that I don't even know where to start. MT teaches you to throw from the clinch which is great but has no answer after that.

Once again you expose yourself for not competing or training bjj because in the VAST majority of comps you sit to guard ever. You also cannot pull without penalty, you can be stood up, and you cannot pull without established grips. You don't know what you're talking about and it shows.

And if you want to compare Aljo's match to a real fight, then its more ridiculous to defend someone who butt scoots. Sitting to your butt and scooting forward is not real offense. Imagine if a high school bully tried to do that to someone? What would they do? Just walk away because its not a threat. The only reason its slightly a threat in BJJ is because the rulesets protect that type of behavior.

I'm lucky that I currently train at a gym where we don't pull guard and are basically forced to train takedowns. But most gyms aren't like that and the sport overall suffers from it from a self-defense perspective and for those wanting to transition into MMA or other related sports like Judo. I've trained at some top gyms too like Gracie Barra, 10th Planet, and 50/50, and the difference between those that emphasize having to wrestle is night and day. The only people who defend guard pulling and butt scooting are those who lack good takedowns. I don't necessarily have an issue with guard pulling per se, but if I were to pull guard in a tournament, i'd also expect to be penalized in some way. That's not the case in most BJJ tournaments today.
So much wrong...

Most rulesets limit and punish guard pulling

Every bjj trains TDs. Many even have dedicated wrestling and judo coaches. My gym teaches TDs every day. As do most major gyms chains.

Lol at naming 2 leg lock specializing gyms and the only major gym notorious for guard pulling. You for sure just Google bjj gyms that guard pull lol. You absolutely do not train bjj and do not compete because once again you cannot pull without penalties or limitations.

Before I ever did BJJ I did sambo, Greco-Roman, and Folkstyle. I have always utilized, taught, and encouraged takedown heavy games. You're just wrong.
Also, you couldn't be more incorrect about Judo. Its the most popular combat sport in the world based on pure numbers and also it being in the Olympics. BJJ isn't close to it in terms of numbers. That's a very "United States or Brazil" view of sports if you think BJJ is bigger than Judo or wrestling globally.

I was definitely right in my assumption about you being a judo supremacy guy lol. IJF notoriously inflates their numbers. They have a decent and consistent viewership but even their live videos on YouTube tend to cap in the ten thousands. It's HUGE in Japan and France without a doubt but outside of there the viewership varies.

Similarly, BJJ is very big in the US, Brazil, and Korea but less so in other countries.

No its not, because BJJ is still a combat sport and supposed to be created for self defense. "Combat" being the key word there. In real combat, you'd never go to your back or butt scoot. Like I said above, no other combat sport incentivizes that like BJJ. Most of us who train understand why that's the case in BJJ. Its to differentiate it from wrestling or judo. But by doing so, you completely bypass tons of other meta elements of grappling like takedowns, takedown scrambles, throws, and trips. Statistically, most guards are passed off of takedowns or scrambles. They aren't done based off of someone going into someone else's guard and just being a better guard passer. That's a myth.
In real combat the fight doesn't stop I'd you go to your back lol. If you go down then you can keep attacking. That is literally whole thing with BJJ. Triangles, armbars, guillotine, kimuras, collar chokes, omaplatas, etc. There are so many ways to beat someone from your back it is not even funny. It has nothing to do with wrestling or judo. It's because unlike those 2, bjj is a submission grappling art. Not a takedown spectacle. Takedowns, trips, and scrambles are present and dominant in bjj. Anyone who trains and competes knows this first hand.

You are also objectively wrong about the passing stats. Most guard passes are established guards, usually half guard. Not TDs.

Stop talking out your ass

This is the correct mentality. IDK why, but sport BJJ players are the only people who I see who defend guard pulling or butt scooting.

Do that in wrestling, Judo, or sambo and you'd lose. The rules in BJJ unfairly protect this behavior. At least in wrestling, judo, or sambo you have exchanges on the feet and ground. In modern sport BJJ, you can get away with never having to attempt a standing takedown based on the ruleset. It waters down BJJ and makes it way less effective as a martial art.
Fights dont end when you go to the ground lol

Most fights in real life are against clueless dumbasses. Most people who know how to fight don't go around randomly picking fights over dumb shit. Ive been in fights where I was the bottom and the top guy and was fine. And once again, does not apply to this scenario as this is not a street fight
I got in a bar scuffle once when, due to the cowboy boots I was wearing, my foot slipped and I started to go on my ass. I was wearing a dope ass pinstripe suit, and didn't want it touching the floor, so I based out with my free hand, pulled my slippery leg back under me, and swept that dummy so quick right into knee on belly that he never had a clue what happened.

Nothing ever hit the floor but the bottom of my boots and the palm of my right hand. This guy was young and in shape too. Street fights against muggles when you're used to going against killers every day are incredibly easy.

Leg locks aren't used that much in MMA for a reason. That reason is punches and putting yourself in a bad position. Leg locks are all in vogue in sport BJJ right now, but again, the ruleset incentivizes how they're set up from a guard pull or person on bottom. I'm not against leg locks either, but I also don't think someone who pulls guard or butt scoots should have an easier time grabbing a leg because of ruleset either.
Leg locks are commonly used in mma more so now than ever. They're used to force scrambles and stop your opponent from advancing more than for the finish.

Pass the guard and you won't get leg locked.

The top player does not have more advantages. There are no submissions the top player can do from guard. That's where most BJJ takes place. The top player has to advance his position before he can do a submission to end the match. The bottom player can throw up tons of submissions from guard. Without strikes, the top player's only choice is to pass guard.
Wrong again. Top person has more ways to score in any point based rule set. Compete one day and you'll learn it.

Takedown-2
Takedown passed guard- 3(ADCC)
Takedown to dominant back or mount- 3+4(ADCC)
Guard pass-3
Knee on belly- 2

Guard pull- penalty
Sweep-2
Reversal- 2(adcc)

Top player literally has more ways to score. Being on bottom is not advantageous.
Without strikes, the bottom player, again, gets an unrealistic advantage based on the ruleset. The top player could just stand back up and exit guard. But again, the rule set protects the bottom player because most of the time they won't be forced to stand back up to engage the now standing top player.
Without strikes and the threat of subs wrestlers and judokas get an unrealistic advantage of going for takedowns without the risk of being attacked.

Lol you're arguing so hard for the guard to just not be a thing at all. Crazy.
You know what's also grappling? Wrestling and takedowns. Same logic applies. Learn how to fucking wrestle or get a takedown. In no other combat sport can you "fight" your opponent while sitting down or butt scooting towards them. It let's one person determine the direction of the match with no effort or risk. This only happens in BJJ. So don't be surprised when the top person doesn't want to play that game.
It's not SUBMISSION grappling kid. Keep up. In no fightbis someone gonna go to the ground and go "oh I guess we're done now" lol. You shoot s bad double? Get a guillotine from guard. Didn't secure the rear body lock. Take kimura for sucking.

I can wrestle with collegiate guys, trade throws with judoka, and play guard because I'm a complete grappler. My game doesn't fall apart the second someone does something I don't like.

Stop talking about shit you don't know

Last edited:
I got in a bar scuffle once when, due to the cowboy boots I was wearing, my foot slipped and I started to go on my ass. I was wearing a dope ass pinstripe suit, and didn't want it touching the floor, so I based out with my free hand, pulled my slippery leg back under me, and swept that dummy so quick right into knee on belly that he never had a clue what happened.

Nothing ever hit the floor but the bottom of my boots and the palm of my right hand. This guy was young and in shape too. Street fights against muggles when you're used to going against killers every day are incredibly easy.
Facts. Doesn't take a lot to be effective from the bottom in a street fight. You just gotta remember that your goal is to get on top quickly

This is a video illustrating why guard pulling is a necessary tool. It's part of your submission and takedown chain.

And here's a video showing if you can pass guard and your soul isn't made of bitch, guard pulling doesn't matter.

Engage in the fucking fight. Don't be a bitch. You came to grapple, not run. It's like turning and running every time you get shot on in wrestling.

I don't believe you did bjj lol. Sorry, it's just that the statements and comparisons you make demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding the sport. I definitely believe you did judo. I think this is a very roundabout judo superiority post that you're disguising as a bjj post.

Based on what lol? I've trained at 7 or 8 different gyms across the country and never have I ever met someone who does bjj and doesn't enjoy watching it. I know people who don't watch it religiously or who only watch specific comps but NEVER anyone who doesn't like watching bjj at all.

Every time you claim it's better to literally run from your opponent for 10 minutes than to pull guard, I laugh. I can't take yall seriously. Just say you can't pass guard.

Lol yet another terrible comparison. Wrestling has no submissions. Judo barely has any action after the throw. MT has no grappling. Boxing has no grappling. This is such a brain dead take. You get stood up and lose in all of these because IT ISNT SUBMISSION GRAPPLING. Duh.

And in most of these sports you are rewarded for doing dumb shit. In wrestling you learn to turtle up and expose your back to prevent a pin which is terrible for self defense and sub grappling. Boxing teaches you to clinch without consequences. Judo is so bastardized from what it once was that I don't even know where to start. MT teaches you to throw from the clinch which is great but has no answer after that.

Once again you expose yourself for not competing or training bjj because in the VAST majority of comps you sit to guard ever. You also cannot pull without penalty, you can be stood up, and you cannot pull without established grips. You don't know what you're talking about and it shows.

So much wrong...

Most rulesets limit and punish guard pulling

Every bjj trains TDs. Many even have dedicated wrestling and judo coaches. My gym teaches TDs every day. As do most major gyms chains.

Lol at naming 2 leg lock specializing gyms and the only major gym notorious for guard pulling. You for sure just Google bjj gyms that guard pull lol. You absolutely do not train bjj and do not compete because once again you cannot pull without penalties or limitations.

Before I ever did BJJ I did sambo, Greco-Roman, and Folkstyle. I have always utilized, taught, and encouraged takedown heavy games. You're just wrong.

I was definitely right in my assumption about you being a judo supremacy guy lol. IJF notoriously inflates their numbers. They have a decent and consistent viewership but even their live videos on YouTube tend to cap in the ten thousands. It's HUGE in Japan and France without a doubt but outside of there the viewership varies.

Similarly, BJJ is very big in the US, Brazil, and Korea but less so in other countries.

In real combat the fight doesn't stop I'd you go to your back lol. If you go down then you can keep attacking. That is literally whole thing with BJJ. Triangles, armbars, guillotine, kimuras, collar chokes, omaplatas, etc. There are so many ways to beat someone from your back it is not even funny. It has nothing to do with wrestling or judo. It's because unlike those 2, bjj is a submission grappling art. Not a takedown spectacle. Takedowns, trips, and scrambles are present and dominant in bjj. Anyone who trains and competes knows this first hand.

You are also objectively wrong about the passing stats. Most guard passes are established guards, usually half guard. Not TDs.

Stop talking out your ass

I ain't reading all that shit. Based on your posts, it seems you're a purple belt who never cross trained in any other combat sports who has a BJJ superiority complex. I've actually done BJJ/wrestling way before I ever started judo back in the late 00s. I only more recently started doing judo. So yea, you're incorrect about most of your post already. I guess you consider all the schools I named above judo schools too apparently. And there's nothing to inflate about judo being the most watched combat sport. Based on numbers alone, its the most participated and watched combat sport in the world. I don't play soccer, but it would be like saying soccer isn't the most watched sport in the world when it is.

The bottom line is, you're wrong about all of your post and almost everyone here is disagreeing with you, but you keep thinking you're correct. Probably has something to do with your inflated post count or your ego driven quote under your avi.

At the end of the day, pulling guard and butt scooting is antithetical to everything that is grappling, and it waters down the combat aspects of BJJ. BJJ is still based off of real fighting, and in a real fight, going to your back puts you at a serious disadvantage. BJJ is the only sport that doesn't penalize it. This is coming from someone who goes for imanari rolls when I'm not going for takedowns.

There's nothing you can say to justify why someone who sits to their butt/back with little to no effort can dictate the terms of the fight, while the person standing gets penalized for not attacking, aka putting in more effort. Hint: they shouldn't, but BJJ does it because of the ruleset. Spend less time posting and maybe more time training and you'd understand that.

I'm not even against guard pulling if its done right and chained together with other moves. I'll even hit imanari rolls myself from bottom to mix it up with takedowns. But the person who sits down first, let alone a butt scooter, should in no way be the person who dictates the pace of the fight without being penalized. If I pulled guard myself, I'd fully expect to be penalized.

The best example of this is Topuria vs. Ryan Hall. In a BJJ ruleset, Topuria would be forced to walk into Hall's guard.

In real combat the fight doesn't stop I'd you go to your back lol. If you go down then you can keep attacking. That is literally whole thing with BJJ.

In a real fight, the person on top can throw strikes. No one is going to willingly sit to their butt against an opponent who is of similar skillset because of this. There's a big difference between that and sport BJJ, and why sport BJJ has been watering down the combat aspects of BJJ and grappling. Its a ruleset that protects a stupid and unrealistic aspect of actual fighting.

This is a video illustrating why guard pulling is a necessary tool. It's part of your submission and takedown chain.

Engage in the fucking fight. Don't be a bitch. You came to grapple, not run. It's like turning and running every time you get shot on in wrestling.

Big difference between this and Aljo's match is that Fellipe is actually going for instant sweeps off of that guard pull and at one point, stands up to hit a takedown.

The guy you're defending who went against Aljo was butt scooting forward and flopping to his back the whole time and expecting Aljo to do all the engaging. He also did not make any attempt to stand up to start wrestling Aljo when he could have. You can't talk about engaging in a fight and then defend that. Completely contradictory and makes no sense. And that's how most guard pulling actually plays out in regular comps.

I ain't reading all that shit.
Lol mad that you got exposed. Cry more.

Claiming I'm wrong despite not reading? Hmm sounds like you're big mad kiddo. I'd beat you in wrestling, judo, and bjj btw. Maybe we can roll when you finally start doing bjj.

Last edited:
Big difference between this and Aljo's match is that Fellipe is actually going for instant sweeps off of that guard pull and at one point, stands up to hit a takedown.

The guy you're defending who went against Aljo was butt scooting forward and flopping to his back the whole time and expecting Aljo to do all the engaging. He also did not make any attempt to stand up to start wrestling Aljo when he could have. You can't talk about engaging in a fight and then defend that. Completely contradictory and makes no sense. And that's how most guard pulling actually plays out in regular comps.
Only difference is that they're engaging in the guard and not being a bitch

Aljo literally ran away and the other guy moved forward, attempted sweeps, and attempted an arm bar. Cope harder

I ain't reading all that shit. Based on your posts, it seems you're a purple belt who never cross trained in any other combat sports who has a BJJ superiority complex. I've actually done BJJ/wrestling way before I ever started judo back in the late 00s. I only more recently started doing judo. So yea, you're incorrect about most of your post already. I guess you consider all the schools I named above judo schools too apparently. And there's nothing to inflate about judo being the most watched combat sport. Based on numbers alone, its the most participated and watched combat sport in the world. I don't play soccer, but it would be like saying soccer isn't the most watched sport in the world when it is.

The bottom line is, you're wrong about all of your post and almost everyone here is disagreeing with you, but you keep thinking you're correct. Probably has something to do with your inflated post count or your ego driven quote under your avi.

At the end of the day, pulling guard and butt scooting is antithetical to everything that is grappling, and it waters down the combat aspects of BJJ. BJJ is still based off of real fighting, and in a real fight, going to your back puts you at a serious disadvantage. BJJ is the only sport that doesn't penalize it. This is coming from someone who goes for imanari rolls when I'm not going for takedowns.

There's nothing you can say to justify why someone who sits to their butt/back with little to no effort can dictate the terms of the fight, while the person standing gets penalized for not attacking, aka putting in more effort. Hint: they shouldn't, but BJJ does it because of the ruleset. Spend less time posting and maybe more time training and you'd understand that.

I'm not even against guard pulling if its done right and chained together with other moves. I'll even hit imanari rolls myself from bottom to mix it up with takedowns. But the person who sits down first, let alone a butt scooter, should in no way be the person who dictates the pace of the fight without being penalized. If I pulled guard myself, I'd fully expect to be penalized.

The best example of this is Topuria vs. Ryan Hall. In a BJJ ruleset, Topuria would be forced to walk into Hall's guard.

In a real fight, the person on top can throw strikes. No one is going to willingly sit to their butt against an opponent who is of similar skillset because of this. There's a big difference between that and sport BJJ, and why sport BJJ has been watering down the combat aspects of BJJ and grappling. Its a ruleset that protects a stupid and unrealistic aspect of actual fighting.

But much real fights tho

Last edited:
Lol mad that you got exposed. Cry more.

Claiming I'm wrong despite not reading? Hmm sounds like you're big mad kiddo. I'd beat you in wrestling, judo, and bjj btw. Maybe we can roll when you finally start doing bjj.

O really? How do you plan to do that from your mom's basement?

If you spent more time training instead of posting, you might actually know what you're talking about. But yea, someone with 17,000 posts isn't putting in the work training, let alone in bjj/judo/wrestling. But its the internet, so I might as well be Jon Jones.

But much real fights tho

Neat, you found one of the rare fights where someone pulled guard in MMA. If i spent my time findign all the fights where guys did that and got GnP'd or TKO'd, I'd be here all night.

O really? How do you plan to do that from your mom's basement?

If you spent more time training instead of posting, you might actually know what you're talking about. But yea, someone with 17,000 posts isn't putting in the work training, let alone in bjj/judo/wrestling. But its the internet, so I might as well be Jon Jones.

Neat, you found one of the rare fights where someone pulled guard in MMA. If i spent my time findign all the fights where guys did that and got GnP'd or TKO'd, I'd be here all night.
Lol I've posted my comp medals on here multiple times. Cope harder. You lied and got called out. Too bad so sad.

I've bare been on sherdog for the past 3+ years. Because I've nern competing and joined the military. Another swing and a miss by you lol.

Lol you'd be here all night looking for more than 4 or 5. There are exponentially more wins by leg lock (often by way of pulling guard or imanari rolling) than wins by tko from that position. That doesn't even account for wins by jumping guillotines. Its not even remotely close. I could pull up literally dozen of examples. You're embarrassing yourself.

If you're ever near Louisiana hit me up. I'll teach you a couple things bud.

Last edited:
Lol I've posted my comp medals on here multiple times. Cope harder. You lied and got called out. Too bad so sad.

I've bare been on sherdog for the past 3+ years. Because I've nern competing and joined the military. Another swing and a miss by you lol.

Lol you'd be here all night looking for more than 4 or 5. There are exponentially more wins by leg lock (often by way of pulling guard or imanari rolling) than wins by tko from that position. That doesn't even account for wins by jumping guillotines. Its not even remotely close. I could pull up literally dozen of examples. You're embarrassing yourself.

If you're ever near Louisiana hit me up. I'll teach you a couple things bud.

If you need to stroke your online ego with e-callouts, you're not that good, so not going to waste my time. Youre a bjj purple belt nerd with 17k+ posts who probably cant even wrestle, has a crap top game, and butt scoots. Probably 10th Planet im guessing. Anyone can medal in a tournament against subpar competition, congrats. Everyone else in here calling you out probably has medals too, including me. But we don't need to e-flex to prove a point.

I was doing bjj in the military before you could even legally join. You have a ton of free time to shitpost and complain, so you sound like Air Force, so im not surprised. The difference is, I don't willingly get into e-fights and butthurt online when people online point out how I'm wrong about another grown man butt scooting.

Back