All Time GOAT poll

Jones had the possibility of being the GOAT. The PEDs disqualifies him from ever being that, but besides that, the fact that he always fought so dirty is another mark against him. I know people will defend it, but the fact is - Jon is the only fighter in newer times that forced UFC to change their rules because he was fighting so dirty (I believe only 2 other fighters have the same honor - Keith Hackney and the nut shots on Joe Son, and Tank when he tried to throw his opponent over the top of the octagon).
Also GSP with his greasing.

That was more on his cornerman than GSP himself. But I agree, the whole situation led to new rules. Good call.
Have not heard claims in a long while of anyone else doing greasy things. I remember claims that guys would rub moisturiser in, let it dry so that would not be felt when checked upon entry, Then when they started sweating in the cage it would be slippery. Also guys taking fish oil pills to have a similar effect?

Did someone claim that Lyoto felt greasy? Or am I trippen?

(not trying to trow shade, just reminiscing)

Have not heard claims in a long while of anyone else doing greasy things. I remember claims that guys would rub moisturiser in, let it dry so that would not be felt when checked upon entry, Then when they started sweating in the cage it would be slippery. Also guys taking fish oil pills to have a similar effect?

Did someone claim that Lyoto felt greasy? Or am I trippen?

(not trying to trow shade, just reminiscing)
Had to look it up, but yeah Gegard Mousasi claimed Lyoto were greasing -

And yeah, there are so many ways for fighters to get "greasy", which is also why I don't think GSP was cheating, and it was more of a fuck up. Dude literally rubbed vaseline on him with cameras watching. If they were trying to cheat, they would have been catastrophicaly incompetent.

And yeah, there are so many ways for fighters to get "greasy", which is also why I don't think GSP was cheating, and it was more of a fuck up. Dude literally rubbed vaseline on him with cameras watching. If they were trying to cheat, they would have been catastrophicaly incompetent.

Nice find! Good stuff. Glad it could be found. Scary how much stuff is disappearing from the net. I used to think that stuff would be there forever.

I'll be honest, I have the exact opposite opinion about what happened, so am happy to leave it in the past (even though technically I am the one who brought it up <Lmaoo>)

And Gustafsson.
Screen-Shot-2020-03-08-at-3.19.40-PM.png

Put him on life support :)

It really bugs me that people in the mma sphere are so averse to logic. His performance inside the cage is the result of his usage of PEDs. To say "everybody is on steroids" or "he would still be very good he didnt even need the steroids" does not nullify the statement. He is where he is because of illegal performance enhancing drugs and cheating in and out of the cage. And it sucks that we will never ever see him absolutely flatline knocked out.

but he didn't test positive on every fight, so he wasn't on steroids for every win.

I give him credit for his LHW run pre USADA. He was oversized and fighting MWs at times but he still racked up 8 defenses. When USADA entered he didn't stop using though. I put him in the top 10 all time though. Probably goat LHW

Last edited:

Silly because Gegard got outclassed on the feet. I don't see where greasing would come into play there.

Seems to me the “Is Jon GOAT” debate is getting stale. The reason is pretty easy to see. Fans who say PED violations disqualify a fighter from GOAT status reject Jon outright. Opposed to them are fans who say that Jon’s performance alone establishes that he is GOAT, regardless of PEDs.

(I’m talking about LHW GOAT or the more generic “one of the GOATs”. Either way as I’m framing it.)

So how about this:

Any Sherdoggers willing to say that PEDs are a negative, a mark against possible GOAT status, but that ON BALANCE, Jon is still GOAT?

Alternatively, any Sherdoggers who are honestly willing to overlook PED violations but say, “Hey, Jon STILL ain’t GOAT”?

Its impossible to settle this debate because most of the stuff about PEDs is made up. For example USADA said Jones did not test positive for the Gus fight and these haters not just ignored them but made up a bunch of other positive tests. They even crack jokes about picograms. You can't have an argument about history with people who make up their own history and thats what Jons haters have done.

no he didn't, but reyes went on to lose his next four after
It was very close and Reyes losing the next 4 shows how weak Jon is vs anyone he doesn't have a massive reach advantage over.

Jbj is lhw goat not p4p

Pure fighting ability and accomplishments, he is the GOAT.

PEDs don't matter because everyone at the elite level is using them including everyone Jon fought. The incentives to use them are too high, the stakes are too high in terms of money and status, and the official safeguards against their use are inadequate.

I don't really weigh drug violations in GOAT rankings. But Jon for me is the greatest LHW by a long shot, and a top 5 all timer. LHW is a garbage division, even when it was in a better place during Jones' early run. But the fact that Jones struggled so much with blown up MWs and mediocre LHWs at the end of his reign kind of speaks to the division's quality versus BW-LW (maybe WW).

Maybe he struggled with them because he was declining? He had an insanely long run at the top and with the exception of Gus was dominant over everyone until his last two fights.

Back