Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira or Daniel Cormier - Who do you rank higher in the GOAT rankings?

Who do you rank higher in the GOAT rankings?

• Total voters
To be fair, DC had the opportunity to fight more top fighters, he chose not to.
Yeah but thats OK. Both guys were in vastly different situations.

Alot less money in Nog's era and he was in tournaments that would require him to fight 4 times in 6 months against mostly high level talent. That's just something DC would never have to do.

DC easily. DC only lost to the greatest fighter of all time and arguably the greatest UFC HW of all time. He had 2 belts as well. The only thing you can really hold against him is his late start in MMA. Nog has a bigger resume that's about it. He has more losses and the worse losses out of the 2. He'd get ragdolled by DC if they were to fight. Against similar competition DC is 4-0 and Nog is 2-5.

DC easily. DC only lost to the greatest fighter of all time and arguably the greatest UFC HW of all time. He had 2 belts as well. The only thing you can really hold against him is his late start in MMA. Nog has a bigger resume that's about it. He has more losses and the worse losses out of the 2. He'd get ragdolled by DC if they were to fight. Against similar competition DC is 4-0 and Nog is 2-5.
Well DC had a late start as you said. If he had come in earlier he might have hung around longer and had more tail end losses.

"A bigger resume and thats about it"

Huh?? thats about it???

You really show you have no conception of the context of Nogueira's prime at all.

The guy was constantly defeating the top 5 guys over and over and for longer.

Both had incredible careers. One fought the greatest MMA HW fighter in Fedor.

The other fought who most consider the second greatest MMA HW fighter in Stipe.

Cormier also competed in LHW and did very well in that weight class.

Who do you rank higher in your all-time list?

Antonio_Rodrigo_Nogueira_%22Minotauro%22_Paris_-_2004.JPG

ghnewsok-OK-3892886-85834371.jpeg
The only UFC/Pride champion with more top ten ranked wins at Heavyweight than Nogueira is Fedor.

Because Cormier split his career into two divisions, he didn't do enough in either to become a divisional GOAT.

Well DC had a late start as you said. If he had come in earlier he might have hung around longer and had more tail end losses.

"A bigger resume and thats about it"

Huh?? thats about it???

You really show you have no conception of the context of Nogueira's prime at all.

The guy was constantly defeating the top 5 guys over and over and for longer.
And yet DC would walk through him like Cain did. Had more belts in a shorter time frame. Sorry 2 things a bigger resume and nostalgia.

You have not disproved anything I said. You act like you have no idea about Nogueira's career outside the UFC.
DC has a higher winning percentage 88% to 77%. Higher winning percentage against the same opponents 100% to Nog's 29%. More belts 2 to 1. I don't care what you say you are incapable of being objective when Pride is involved, some people evolve some people stay stuck in the past like you.

Yeah but thats OK. Both guys were in vastly different situations.

Alot less money in Nog's era and he was in tournaments that would require him to fight 4 times in 6 months against mostly high level talent. That's just something DC would never have to do.
Yeah, I see now I sort misunderstood what you were saying. And you're right, of course.

DC has a higher winning percentage 88% to 77%. Higher winning percentage against the same opponents 100% to Nog's 29%. More belts 2 to 1. I don't care what you say you are incapable of being objective when Pride is involved, some people evolve some people stay stuck in the past like you.
You're comparing apples to cucumbers and pretending they're both oranges.

I rank Cormier higher all time. DC is in my Top 10, Nog isn’t, although he’s probably in my top 20.

I rank DC higher too— but comparing win percentages against same opponents is a meaningless statistic.

No I dont use Wikipedia to figure that out. Higher winning percentage against the same opponents doesnt mean a whole hell of alot when the fighters are from completley different generations. Nor does it when you factor in how much longer Nogueira fought for.

Im a big fan of both fighters and dont really care who anyone thinks is better, but just shoving Nogueira's body of work under the rug because you dont know anything about it? Not lettin that slide.

Big Nog, he was in the top 10 for way longer and if you limit it to the HW division it's not even close.
Way longer? DC was top 10 from 2011-2020. It's like 1-3 years max longer for Nog who's something like 1999-2011ish if I recall.

Way more fights yes, years no. And Nog was much younger too.

More importantly, unlike Nog DC never lost his way out of the top 10. He retired while ranked #1 after the Stipe trilogy. He could've easily stuck around for a few more years in the top 10, he just quit once he could no longer be champ.

Nog probably has more quality wins over his career at heavyweight than Cormier.
But I don't believe any version of Nog beats the best version of Cormier. Terrible style matchup.
I'd probably give the edge to Nog, just because he wasn't splitting his time between two weight classes.
<Fedor23>

hard one. DC only ever lost to Jones and Stipe so I'd give the edge to him. Big Nog fought since '99 so he had more oppurtunities to lose. Both are top 10 heavies at a minimum ever.

DC finished his career at 22-3

At one point Nog was 31-4 holding the UFC Interim Belt and his only losses were X2 to Fedor and split decisions to Hendo and Barnett that he decisively avenged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back