Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira or Daniel Cormier - Who do you rank higher in the GOAT rankings?

Who do you rank higher in the GOAT rankings?

• Total voters
I'd say Nog's prime was over by the time he fought in the UFC.

The nog that fought Kharitonov in 2004 imo was prime.
Yeah..maybe the slip started to come around the time after he beat Barnett in the remach. He def looked a bit slower in the third Herring fight,but he still had some key wins after that. He didnt go away quietly into the fuckin night thats for sure.

I mean of course we cant help but use it to hold him in such high esteem. Thats why I dont care so much about GOAT stuff overall. They both should absolutley be celebrated.
I think you hit the nail on the head in that second sentence.

Reactions: HHJ
Yeah..maybe the slip started to come around the time after he beat Barnett in the remach. He def looked a bit slower in the third Herring fight,but he still had some key wins after that. He didnt go away quietly into the fuckin night thats for sure.
I'll admit I thought Nog was already done going into the Randy fight. He proved me wrong.

GOAT?

At heavyweight Nog edges DC out. He was the clear #1 heavyweight & P4P at the same time briefly. In his prime he fought slightly better competition.

Overall DC wins due to being an all time great in 2 weightclasses.

I think I'd give it to Nogueria but it is close.

If Big Nog lost to Fedor 2x, wouldn't he lost to Black Fedor at least once?

Prime vs prime at hw I think Nog beats him, but it's close. DC was a 2 weight class champ and didn't take so many bad losses so I'd put him higher on the p4p goat list.

DC finished his career at 22-3

At one point Nog was 31-4 holding the UFC Interim Belt and his only losses were X2 to Fedor and split decisions to Hendo and Barnett that he decisively avenged.

I mean, its one of those things that people can pick eitherway and I won't feel strongly about it. It just comes down to personal preference and which wins that you value more than others. You can trim up Big Nog's career and ignore the ugly parts later on too or hold DC's back2back losses against Stipe against him.

I lean towards DC just because he was the only iirc to hold 2 belts simulataneously and he never ever looked vulnerable in the cage against anybody except Stipe and Jones. And even then, he was ancient when he partook in some of those matchups. Those losses feel less damaging on the GOAT scale compared to Big Nog's 0-2 against Mir or getting KOed by Roy Nelson or his loss to Werdum, who was decapitated by Stipe later on.

I won't hold Nog's losses to Fedor or Cain against him much though. Since I think DC loses to them too.

Nog by a lot.

DC had a great career and I don't mean to take anything away from him, but Nog had career longevity, faced larger fighters for much of his career, and was one of the best HW BJJ guys ever. Had some great fights in PRIDE and even had UFC gold at one point, one of the few guys to get there in both organizations.

DC started his career pretty late and was usually the heavier guy in the cage. He was a great fighter but I really think a prime Nog would be a tough night for him

HW? Big nog due to sustained success and sample size

P4P: DC! He was both an incredible LHW and hw.

However since he split his time between the two divisions instead of staying a hw throughout he isn’t top 3-5 in either weight class all time.

I believe he got his first eye surgery after the first Werdum match in 2006, the next fight with Barnett did have a situation were he got dropped by a punch he didnt seem to see coming, same of course with Heath's kick in the 3rd fight in the UFC.

I would say its one of those situations as well were the decline started to cause him to take more consistent punishment and this punishment quickened the decline, he got by for awhile on toughness and heart.

The beatings he took vs Fedor, Criocop and Sapp probably built up punishment for latter years BUT I think its a mistake to say he always took lots of punishment, that only started to happen in his latter years. Outside of those 3 fights he didnt really take tons of damage in any other fight pre late 2006.

I rate DC pretty highly P4P due to his accomplishments between LHW and HW, but it's still Nog for me.

Nog would be HW GOAT if Fedor never existed.

Big Nog is a much more accomplished HW, that's just an objective fact.

For me I'd go Nog. Cormier is a great fighter, but if they both fought in their prime against each other. My money is on Nog.
<LynchWink>

Reactions: HHJ
I won’t disagree with either side of the argument. My heart says Nog and my head says DC.

Back