Anyone into philosophy?

Fair.

Technically we cannot change anything as there is no free will and the universe is a block with zero variation or iterations.

But as far as our experience goes, there are things we feel we have agency over Vs things we don't feel we have agency over and I think it's relevant there. What we have agency over is really a socially conveyed dimension and that is what gives us the most peace, so I would modify it by focus on what people tend to think you have control over and accept what people think you do not have control over.

Reckon we just updated stoicism.

Re what is better, it's similar. But I'd say more mediated by evolutionary fitness than the social dimension, although that obviously springs from the former.

I think it is the case of most of the 'isms' that know one does or can live purely by their ideals. Even if you intellectually believe there is no free will you cannot live your life that way, even the greatest stoic will get pissed off my something they can't change sometimes.
I think philosophy can be useful as an aspirational idea, something to see as a perfect form (to dip into Plato) to aspire to but accepting it cannot be reached in our imperfect world.

I tend to agree with what you're saying about there being things we think we have agency over. Even if we universally speaking don't have any such agency, as thinking beings we can (to some degree) create and be influence by our own reality. That's why I've always found Nietzsche quite aspirational, there is no intrinsic meaning to life or the universe, but we can create our own.

my friend did a philosophy once
dude is homeless living an whoore house strong out on absinthe and dying of syphilis now

not even once brah

seriously though I fucks with non spiritual or mystical buddhist philosophy

if it can make sense to me you can get it too

Ahh, I guess your friend did a few hits of Nietzche. Some dudes just can't handle the heavy stuff mayne.

I like stoicism a lot. Accept what you cannot change and change what you can for the better. It is the ultimate bullshit minimiser.

That sounds weak.

What about stoicism do you think is 'cringe', I've never encountered what I consider a reasonable criticism to it.
The fact that any "stoic" hears someone say it's stupid and they immediately go on the defensive and use emotion-based defense mechanism ie "That sounds weak" disproves its validity.

What's so cringe about it? I have problems with stoicism, but I'm wondering what yours's are.
Bunch of man-babies that are scared of actually emotionally committing to people/things. Well, actually, they're afraid of being viewed as people who emotionally commit to things. Bunch of goobers. Mommy and Daddy aren't going to punish you because you got upset or hurt by something, you can use your words and share your thoughts. Just make-pretend bullshit.

I think it is the case of most of the 'isms' that know one does or can live purely by their ideals. Even if you intellectually believe there is no free will you cannot live your life that way, even the greatest stoic will get pissed off my something they can't change sometimes.
I think philosophy can be useful as an aspirational idea, something to see as a perfect form (to dip into Plato) to aspire to but accepting it cannot be reached in our imperfect world.

I tend to agree with what you're saying about there being things we think we have agency over. Even if we universally speaking don't have any such agency, as thinking beings we can (to some degree) create and be influence by our own reality. That's why I've always found Nietzsche quite aspirational, there is no intrinsic meaning to life or the universe, but we can create our own.

Absolutely. I consider it a matter of cognitive dissonance, which I consider an ability of a fully formed mind.

There is no free will, that is an absolute fact.

We have evolved to believe in agency (free will), that is an immutable reality.

You need to know both to be able to navigate life with understanding and compassion.

The fact that any "stoic" hears someone say it's stupid and they immediately go on the defensive and use emotion-based defense mechanism ie "That sounds weak" disproves its validity.

I didn't use emotion afaik, it was a logical judgement and an open invitation to offer me your wisdom. You used emotive language as if a philosophy had hurt you, when obviously it would have been someone espousing it that hurt you. You are carrying that hurt with you, thus are not a master of your own house, and that is weak.

I said it sounded weak because I wanted to hear your rationale before being certain of such a judgement.

You suggested I was being defensive rather than providing it, which indicates further you have emotional reasons for your stance rather than logical ones. This too indicates a weakness.

Credit to you for not taking the 30 seconds to plagiarise someone else's well thought criticism.

Bunch of man-babies that are scared of actually emotionally committing to people/things. Well, actually, they're afraid of being viewed as people who emotionally commit to things. Bunch of goobers. Mommy and Daddy aren't going to punish you because you got upset or hurt by something, you can use your words and share your thoughts. Just make-pretend bullshit.

Lol I get where you're coming from.

I feel like Stoicism is the flavor of the month so to speak. Lots of people buying books on Stoicism and reposting Marcus Aurelius quotes to their IG story as a means of signaling to others rather than actually studying and following the philosophy.

It's the casuals that are making it seem cringe

I personally lean towards Wittgenstein's idea that philosophy is meaningless and just a misunderstanding of language. I was into it a lot in high school and my early 20s, but nothing ever really clicked with me no matter what part of the world I looked into for philosophy. Wittgenstein's Tractatus and Philosophical Investigations were eye opening and was the only time a philosopher's ideas really felt relatable and made sense with how I personally view the world. Philosophy can be a fun mental exercise, but ultimately that is all it is (imo) - mental exercise.

Back