Anyone into philosophy?

I read alot of Camus, Satre, whole Nietzsche, Kiergegaard etc when I was a teenager. Started studying it and skipped it after 2 semesters. It's a great build up to expand your horizon and question the fabrics of reality, how we percept and function but at the end it's just some dudes in their element trying to prove who has the bigger one.

Still won't miss that time of inspiration but by now I'm more concerned with wordly matters.

I personally lean towards Wittgenstein's idea that philosophy is meaningless and just a misunderstanding of language. I was into it a lot in high school and my early 20s, but nothing ever really clicked with me no matter what part of the world I looked into for philosophy. Wittgenstein's Tractatus and Philosophical Investigations were eye opening and was the only time a philosopher's ideas really felt relatable and made sense with how I personally view the world. Philosophy can be a fun mental exercise, but ultimately that is all it is (imo) - mental exercise.
This! I was reading Wittgenstein and was quite impressed back then by his saying that he's through with that shit. It's by now quite some time since I read him and back then I would have responded in a way more sophisticated manner.

I'm glad I don't do anymore.

I had a math teacher back then who was heavy into philosophy before and he explained in detail why math is his only real system of logic by now. I agree. It's a men made system that works in most cases. Philosophy is just an endless discussion-system on high level.

What's your issue with it?
The idea that you should detach yourself from being affected by external conditions and focus on what matters to you is very practical, and I try to apply aspects of stoicism into my life. It echoes some aspects of Buddhism and secular spiritual practices. But as far as I can tell, stoicism doesn't explore the deeper questions of why you should do any of it. I guess this is where Buddhism becomes a religion as it tries to answer questions about purpose and existence beyond the material world. If you go too far down the rabbit hole of "external factors shouldn't affect me" and detach yourself from everything, do you ultimately detach yourself from life?

The idea that you should detach yourself from being affected by external conditions and focus on what matters to you is very practical, and I try to apply aspects of stoicism into my life. It echoes some aspects of Buddhism and secular spiritual practices. But as far as I can tell, stoicism doesn't explore the deeper questions of why you should do any of it. I guess this is where Buddhism becomes a religion as it tries to answer questions about purpose and existence beyond the material world. If you go too far down the rabbit hole of "external factors shouldn't affect me" and detach yourself from everything, do you ultimately detach yourself from life?

Stoicism isn't about full detachment in life, you're still need to be present in the moment but try to observe it and not let it consume you.

It's a little bit of both.

We have free will with some stuff, but not with everything in life.

I don't believe so.

There's no either or in the flow of time, reality is a block which we travel through, no choice, only fate.

You can observe people's decisions through brain scan before they are conscious of them, people are not conscious of their decisions and therefore there is no conscious deliberation.

Every 'decision' made, would be made the same were it possible to observe from outside the universe and rewind time, because each decision is a result of one's genes and experience. There is no magical space for free will to exist.

That's what I see is the available evidence on the matter. As Einstein said, "God does not play dice with the universe."

Stoicism isn't about full detachment in life, you're still need to be present in the moment but try to observe it and not let it consume you.
It's possible I've been doing stoicism and buddhism wrong. Mindfulness and being present have been some of the biggest challenges for me. But I'll say that meditative practices have helped me greatly.

It's possible I've been doing stoicism and buddhism wrong. Mindfulness and being present have been some of the biggest challenges for me. But I'll say that meditative practices have helped me greatly.

Philosophy and religion both used and abused as a means to an end.

I remember this lady was trying to teach me about post modernism but, all I could
Think about was how she looked like a combination of Kirsten Dunst and Avril
Lavigne

She had a good heart but she was pretentious as hell

Last edited:
Like nietzche vs stoicism and what’s the difference between overthinking and thinking.

Like what is existentialism and stuff brahs lmk
Yep. Eventually, you need to write your own rules for life. Reading philosophy helps. I like Nietzsche a lot. Pirsig is more modern and relevant, and, while Nietzsche was prescient, Pirsig had the advantage of living in the world Nietzsche predicted. I highly recommend deep dives into both Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance; and Lila as well. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is really just the setup for Lila, which is the completion of his philosophy, but it's necessary and a hell of a read. Very much worth it. Lila will help you navigate modernity better, especially as an American, and especially at this fascinating technological juncture.

my friend did a philosophy once
dude is homeless living an whoore house strong out on absinthe and dying of syphilis now

not even once brah

seriously though I fucks with non spiritual or mystical buddhist philosophy

if it can make sense to me you can get it too
what is non spiritual philosophy?

what is non spiritual philosophy?
sorry auto correct or just misspell
non mystical or supernatural buddhist philosophy.
so just the bare roots of vajrayana buddhism
so practice of meditation, and in particular in my case vipassana meditation.

sorry auto correct or just misspell
non mystical or supernatural buddhist philosophy.
so just the bare roots of vajrayana buddhism
so practice of meditation, and in particular in my case vipassana meditation.
can you tell me more about what it means to be non mystical? is there still enlightenment at the end and if its not mystical what is it or how do you recognize it?

can you tell me more about what it means to be non mystical? is there still enlightenment at the end and if its not mystical what is it or how do you recognize it?
no enlightenment is not at the end. and that isn't a goal for lay people anyway. we still have to live in the world and function.

the pursuit of enlightenment is a different journey from what lay people persue not an ultimate goal for everyone on the path.

more it's about being able to be honest and recognize your ego and not get trapped in it. not a destruction of it as some people seem to preach but instead developing a sort of 3rd person perch to be able to access and keep yourself from getting lost

it's not spiritual as in there is no aspect that is about higher power and magic etc..

instead it is just about recognizing people and valuing them as people. that is the vipassana part. for me I grew up around aggressive people and I realized my life I was conditioning myself to be ok with hurting people. I made poor choices because of that.

I till get aggro but I have calmed way down

no enlightenment is not at the end. and that isn't a goal for lay people anyway. we still have to live in the world and function.

the pursuit of enlightenment is a different journey from what lay people persue not an ultimate goal for everyone on the path.

more it's about being able to be honest and recognize your ego and not get trapped in it. not a destruction of it as some people seem to preach but instead developing a sort of 3rd person perch to be able to access and keep yourself from getting lost

it's not spiritual as in there is no aspect that is about higher power and magic etc..

instead it is just about recognizing people and valuing them as people. that is the vipassana part. for me I grew up around aggressive people and I realized my life I was conditioning myself to be ok with hurting people. I made poor choices because of that.

I till get aggro but I have calmed way down

But when do you get the free ice cream.....???

I'm only interested in the philosophy that gives the ice cream!!!

images

That doesn't sound like free ice cream to me....... Fuck him!!

Like nietzche vs stoicism and what’s the difference between overthinking and thinking.

Like what is existentialism and stuff brahs lmk
Ways of seeing the world and yourself. Comparing and contrasting with other animals and species. Some philosophers are long form comedians. Things that make you go hmmm.

Dictionaries as companions. There's dictionaries of philosophy. Putting meaning into words & words into meaning. Just take what you need and leave the rest.

Nietzsche extolled the power of the mind to think you're great & even pretend you can fly like Superman. Not literally because that would suck. The Stoics were about stripping away non-essential stuff. Building cabins in the wilderness. Existentialists said there's no grand overall meaning or purpose. And that can be freeing because doing stuff can provide its own reward.

Back