Anyone out there doing weighted pushups?

What do you guys think of the Crossfit standard for push ups? I thought it odd they want the front of the thigh to touch the floor in addition to the chest.

Depends on the band you're using. Use a strong or mammoth band from EliteFTS and the resistance comes in immediately.

Oh yeah you mean the small ones ? True you'd have resistance at the bottom of the movement with those ones. But you'd still have more at the top.

Oh yeah you mean the small ones ? True you'd have resistance at the bottom of the movement with those ones. But you'd still have more at the top.
No, these are the thick assed bands people use to hang upside down from and for assisted pull ups and whatnot

No, these are the thick assed bands people use to hang upside down from and for assisted pull ups and whatnot
Not sure of the weight resistance but I would use the thick one while standing up. Put behind back like pushups and as far out as hands can reach, slowly touch knuckles together like a pec deck.
If you get back into DBs, you could start on floor so shoulders don't go into the pain threshold

Had do them during COVID and I despised it. Trying to load up all that weight and balance it in a backpack sucked.

If you don't want to bench it's no big deal. Like others said, do dips. Or do chest press or dumbbell presses. All easier on the shoulders. Just start off light whatever you choose to do and see how your shoulder reacts.

Considering replacing benching with it. I'm old, have a SLAP tear on one shoulder, and my elbows don't really appreciate benching anymore either. Looking for an exercise where I can stay strong but not stress my joints a ton as I get older here. I also don't put a ton of emphasis on pushing movements and don't really care if it's subpar, so long as I'm doing something and kinda checking that box.

I read a bunch of articles online that said weighted pushups are a great exercise- more natural ROM for the shoulders & elbows, uses the serratus muscles more, and so on. Anyone like them? Get good results out of them? I guess I'm gonna start by just kneeling, holding a weight on my back and then lowering myself into position. (Guess I'll have to just shrug the weight off at the end, haha). Just looked at weighted vests on Amazon- $60 for the lighter ones is OK I guess, $300 for the heavier ones is highway robbery.

I'd be open to trying dumbbell bench too, but it seems awful risky with my SLAP tear- that arm would be pretty unstable once I'm fatigued
Slow eccentric strengthens ligaments and tendons along with muscle. Do these and high volume low set rep count. For this you just do something close to AMRAP on push ups then do a set of push ups every 30 seconds. Should reach 1 rep every 30 seconds quickly enough. This is where the training gets good so stick through it for 10 minutes. Trains every nook and cranny and good for mind-body and arthritis since the nervous system and deep tissue gets worked without wearing anything out. Connective tissue vastly improves with this as well which is great for you and any older athlete. Metabolic levels rise and you should feel good afterward.

Slow eccentric strengthens ligaments and tendons along with muscle. Do these and high volume low set rep count. For this you just do something close to AMRAP on push ups then do a set of push ups every 30 seconds. Should reach 1 rep every 30 seconds quickly enough. This is where the training gets good so stick through it for 10 minutes. Trains every nook and cranny and good for mind-body and arthritis since the nervous system and deep tissue gets worked without wearing anything out. Connective tissue vastly improves with this as well which is great for you and any older athlete. Metabolic levels rise and you should feel good afterward.

Bro if you're lengthening your ligaments you're on your way to Snap City.

Bro if you're lengthening your ligaments you're on your way to Snap City.
With Bodyweight. And no man loaded eccentrics increases tendon and ligament strength you're ignorant mate. The literature corroborates. It's the intuition of many athletes and coaches. Good for fascia as well.

With Bodyweight. And no man loaded eccentrics increases tendon and ligament strength you're ignorant mate. The literature corroborates. It's the intuition of many athletes and coaches. Good for fascia as well.

Lengthening or strengthening? You need to make up your mind. Not sure how you're able to parse through research accurately when you can't even keep your story straight.

Considering replacing benching with it. I'm old, have a SLAP tear on one shoulder, and my elbows don't really appreciate benching anymore either. Looking for an exercise where I can stay strong but not stress my joints a ton as I get older here. I also don't put a ton of emphasis on pushing movements and don't really care if it's subpar, so long as I'm doing something and kinda checking that box.

I read a bunch of articles online that said weighted pushups are a great exercise- more natural ROM for the shoulders & elbows, uses the serratus muscles more, and so on. Anyone like them? Get good results out of them? I guess I'm gonna start by just kneeling, holding a weight on my back and then lowering myself into position. (Guess I'll have to just shrug the weight off at the end, haha). Just looked at weighted vests on Amazon- $60 for the lighter ones is OK I guess, $300 for the heavier ones is highway robbery.

I'd be open to trying dumbbell bench too, but it seems awful risky with my SLAP tear- that arm would be pretty unstable once I'm fatigued

I have shoulder issues from BJJ and just changed the way I bench to basically being a close grip bench. I bench at the narrow end of the knurling and just focus on keeping my elbows in like a good proper pushup.

My shoulder has recently flared up, but i get no pain from benching at all just by changing my technique. Maybe consider a technique change if you can't afford a weight vest.

Another option would be one arm work and just doing it one side at a time to really focus. Normal pushups would be fine, but if you have a shoulder issue the higher reps may cause just as many problems.

See a physio and get them to fix the issue. the above worked for me.

Push-up with resistance bands are gentle.

You're a character

Pretty sure the slow eccentric thing is legit or I've heard it before at least in multiple places. But you did seemingly just toss out a bunch of terms at random - Fascia, arthritis, lengthen, strengthen, mind-body, nervous system, deep tissue.

Why would it help with arhtritis? Isn't arthritis the deterioration of cartilage in joints basically...?

Pretty sure the slow eccentric thing is legit or I've heard it before at least in multiple places. But you did seemingly just toss out a bunch of terms at random - Fascia, arthritis, lengthen, strengthen, mind-body, nervous system, deep tissue.

Why would it help with arhtritis? Isn't arthritis the deterioration of cartilage in joints basically...?

No it's a syndrome. It's symptomatic - the root cause is not known. It's known that to keep moving stymies the progression of the disease though. Doing work that creates an overall training stimulus is logically a direct way of dealing with arthritis - if your ligaments, joint capsule, cartilage, muscles, metabolism, nervous system are all worked then the overall effect is wellness since they all progress and/or are maintained. You can't work your joints without reps, and loaded eccentrics are good for muscle development and connective tissue development. More blood flow to the tissues including the joint and the training stimulus of the workout on the joint helps the cartilage.

No it's a syndrome. It's symptomatic - the root cause is not known. It's known that to keep moving stymies the progression of the disease though. Doing work that creates an overall training stimulus is logically a direct way of dealing with arthritis - if your ligaments, joint capsule, cartilage, muscles, metabolism, nervous system are all worked then the overall effect is wellness since they all progress and/or are maintained. You can't work your joints without reps, and loaded eccentrics are good for muscle development and connective tissue development. More blood flow to the tissues including the joint and the training stimulus of the workout on the joint helps the cartilage.

Hey brother, I'm down with the syndrome.

Hey brother, I'm down with the syndrome.
heh heh
Just balance the training stimulus so you get benefits on every side about equal and arthritis and tendon/ muscle injuries are not an issue. Endurance, Speed, Strength, Range of Motion, Toughness, Recovery (rest time, throughout the day, daily), Work Capacity (throughout the day, daily, weekly, monthly), Power (speed x strength), Isometric (not moving, postural, overcoming iso), Intensity.

Hurt my back doing them. I think bad form!

I've noticed they're great for working your core too. I don't feel like i need to do plank since i do them, they're enough

Slow eccentric strengthens ligaments and tendons along with muscle.

Thanks man. Do you have an academic source for this? I'm very familiar with slow eccentric stuff, I've done it for my golfer's elbow and Achilles tendinitis, so I do agree that it's good PT. I'm less clear that it works for preventative maintenance, but I've actually had that same thought before- just do everything with slow eccentrics to help build up tendon strength. Is there an academic source that proves this work in a preventative fashion....?

Back