Movies Apocalypse Now - Where should I start?

he was, I thought it was funny how they said he was self conscious at being fat, he had notice to lose the weight, got paid well and was still a bitch to work with. He was still brando though, remember when homboy said, "they told me you went totally insane, that your methods was unsound" and brando ran his hand over his bald head and clenched his fist on the "insane" part of the sentence.

I never understood the reasoning that the kurtz character accepted his sacrifice without ordering people to kill the guy or fight back. Even when brando is mumbling and talking in bulshit riddles he's great though.

Are my methods unsound?

I don't like the ending of the film.

Are my methods unsound?

I don't like the ending of the film.
alot of those films in that era aren't too entertaining, they seem to be a grasping to come to terms with the war. Deer Hunter with the forty minute wedding scene, apocolypse now with the gibberish speaking Brando and Dennis Hopper. Films that you kinda have to really take in and think about. Then we have Rambo 2 which was very entertaining but really total bullshit.

Nice. That doc is a way better addition than the extra scenes imo.
i'll get it just for that, it was infinitely better than the movie to me, but that's usually how I am, I just love studying stuff like that. Helluva way to make a film though and it was true, dude did have a heart attack and francis was close to losing his fucking mind, for good reason. Nothing looked like it would work, there was no way to know he'd end up with a classic.

The final cut and Hearts of Darkness. I'm not sure it's worthwhile watching the other two versions of the movie. I guess it depends on how big a fan you are.

Its one of my fave films.id watch a 5 hour Version if it existed, which is why i usuallly watch the redux Version

Here is the full three-hour movie of Apocalypse Now Redux on Youtube if anyone wants an easy way to see it.

Yes, it includes the PBR crew coming across the Playboy bunnies chopper.

Yes, it includes the French plantation segment with Willard's unexpected tryst with one of the French colonial women.

Yes, they get their boobs out (Don't report it).

Last edited:
alot of those films in that era aren't too entertaining, they seem to be a grasping to come to terms with the war. Deer Hunter with the forty minute wedding scene, apocolypse now with the gibberish speaking Brando and Dennis Hopper. Films that you kinda have to really take in and think about. Then we have Rambo 2 which was very entertaining but really total bullshit.

Really I think you could argue Apoc Now is the last of the new Hollywood films which wasnt focused on easier entertainment but still did very well at the box office, taking inflation into account it made between $600-700 million by todays standards.

Stuff like Alien and The Shining I spose you could argue also did very well but they did also function as more direct horror films, after that you move onto films like Heaven Gate, Blade Runner and Rumblefish which flopped and lead to Hollywood moving away from funding those kinds of films(well besides Kubrick).

Really I think you could argue Apoc Now is the last of the new Hollywood films which wasnt focused on easier entertainment but still did very well at the box office, taking inflation into account it made between $600-700 million by todays standards.

Stuff like Alien and The Shining I spose you could argue also did very well but they did also function as more direct horror films, after that you move onto films like Heaven Gate, Blade Runner and Rumblefish which flopped and lead to Hollywood moving away from funding those kinds of films(well besides Kubrick).

Even if I didn't like Apocolypse now one bit, it would be impossible not to realize it was way beyond something like Rambo. Rambo was a phenom which may have done some good because I'm not sure if Full Metal Jacket or Platoon would have been able to be made. I think Platoon was a direct rebuttal of Rambo with it's one dimensional, good/bad and it's playing on blind patriotism and painting all the vietnamese as inferior opponents.

I probably need to watch it again as didn't think much of it last time I saw it. Hopefully it's like bladerunner which I wasn't overly impressed with first time round but is now in ny top 5 all time favourites.

Even if I didn't like Apocolypse now one bit, it would be impossible not to realize it was way beyond something like Rambo. Rambo was a phenom which may have done some good because I'm not sure if Full Metal Jacket or Platoon would have been able to be made. I think Platoon was a direct rebuttal of Rambo with it's one dimensional, good/bad and it's playing on blind patriotism and painting all the vietnamese as inferior opponents.

First Blood I'd say really is a film on the boundary between pulp and serious drama and pretty obviously focused on the negative fallout from Nam, Rambo 2 obvious much more towards pulp although Full Metal Jacket was already well into production by the time it was made.

I always think its a bit strange that when you look at Arnie and Sly in the mid 80's to early 90's its actually the Governator who is in the more obviously left leaning films, the Terminators, Running Man and Total Recall were as Stallone is in stuff like the Rambo sequels, Rocky 4, etc which are more Reagan actioners.

If you want to get really political I think the shift from Nam films being popular to WW2 films being popular during the 90's was really a sign of Hollywood becoming more pro establishment.

First Blood I'd say really is a film on the boundary between pulp and serious drama and pretty obviously focused on the negative fallout from Nam, Rambo 2 obvious much more towards pulp although Full Metal Jacket was already well into production by the time it was made.

I always think its a bit strange that when you look at Arnie and Sly in the mid 80's to early 90's its actually the Governator who is in the more obviously left leaning films, the Terminators, Running Man and Total Recall were as Stallone is in stuff like the Rambo sequels, Rocky 4, etc which are more Reagan actioners.

If you want to get really political I think the shift from Nam films being popular to WW2 films being popular during the 90's was really a sign of Hollywood becoming more pro establishment.

First Blood was superior in my mind to the rest of the Rambo films. I doubt Stallone was sincere in that commie fearing shit, I think he was using it to get over. Everyone knew he dodged the vietnam war, teaching girls volleyball. He says he was rejected because his feet were flat. Didn't know Full Metal was already being made, I know that Stone had been trying to make Platoon for awhile and I think he had problems.

I think that's selling Rambo 2 a little bit short. Rambo's primary antagonist was his own commanding officer and the US military bureaucracy. Murdock was the true villain of the film.

First Blood was superior in my mind to the rest of the Rambo films. I doubt Stallone was sincere in that commie fearing shit, I think he was using it to get over. Everyone knew he dodged the vietnam war, teaching girls volleyball. He says he was rejected because his feet were flat. Didn't know Full Metal was already being made, I know that Stone had been trying to make Platoon for awhile and I think he had problems.

I'm guessing Ramdo 2's sucess might have helped Platoon get funding, perhaps Born on the 4th of July as well? Kubrick films always took years and years to get made and Warners seemed like they funded anything he wanted to do from the 70's onwards plus of course The Shining had done pretty well.

You could argue even Rambo 2 though really isnt pro war, its much more gung ho and simplistic than the original but really the US establishment is still not shown in a positive light in it, Rambo is having to clean up their mess and resue soldiers they left behind.

Besides the shift from anti war Nam films to pro war WW2 films I do think thats also something you see happen in Hollywood, in the 80's films were almost always about individuals, they might be soldiers but they were acting on their own morals and often in opposition to the establishment. By the 90's though you shifted more to films like ID4 which is focused on lionising the establishment as a whole.

For me its not the Reagan years but the Clinton years were Hollywood really lost its balls to call otu the establishment to the degree alot of people didnt even seem to understand Starship Troopers were a satire, they'd gotten so used to sci fi jingoism.

Last edited:
I think that's selling Rambo 2 a little bit short. Rambo's primary antagonist was his own commanding officer and the US military bureaucracy. Murdock was the true villain of the film.
it was a good entertaining film, but I think it played on people's emotions. The villain was the commies with the russian commander and yes, Murdock represented beureauracrats who get in the way and behind Rambos statement "you gonna let us win this time?" Which was the wound many americans felt about "losing" the war. Bobcat Goldthwait had a joke, "you mean winning the girls volleball championship? No, you're really going this time". A joke that apparently irked Stallone enough to prompt him to try to call Bobcat.

I'm guessing Ramdo 2's sucess might have helped Platoon get funding, perhaps Born on the 4th of July as well? Kubrick films always took years and years to get made and Warners seemed like they funded anything he wanted to do from the 70's onwards plus of course The Shining had done pretty well.

You could argue even Rambo 2 though really isnt pro war, its much more gung ho and simplistic than the original but really the US establishment is still not shown in a positive light in it, Rambo is having to clean up their mess and resue soldiers they left behind.

Besides the shift from anti war Nam films to pro war WW2 films I do think thats also something you see happen in Hollywood, in the 80's films were almost always about individuals, they might be soldiers but they were acting on their own morals and often in opposition to the establishment. By the 90's though you shifted more to films like ID4 which is focused on lionising the establishment as a whole.

For me its not the Reagan years but the Clinton years were Hollywood really lost its balls to call otu the establishment to the degree alot of people didnt even seem to understand Starship Troopers were a satire, they'd gotten so used to sci fi jingoism.

Well, I'd say Rambo was the quintessential nam movie even though it wasn't the best, it was the most pop of them and I think there was definitely a vietnam war fad going on at the time. Bruce Springsteen, embarrassingly wore the bandana and pumped up his muscles as a musical equivalent even though his song "Born In The USA" wasn't the anthem people thought it was, but ya know, people can be pretty stupid. Bruce himself didn't really totally enjoy that era of his career, saying that anyone who gets that into a major pop happening will be "trivialized and embarrassed" and I'm sure he was speaking from experience.

Back