Are people better looking now then they were in previous generations?

Are people better looking now than they were in previous generations?

• Total voters
Yes. John Lennon and Yoko Oho were sex symbols. If they were the sex symbols can you imagine how your average person looked?

I'm going to say people look better today. It's a tough one though. Many more people are obese today which is not attractive or healthy, typically in my eyes. In the past though many more people smoked and smoking tends to age a person I've thought, make their skin looks less healthy, etc.

I saw some pictures of people that lost lots of weight using those weight loss drugs. They didn't look healthy to me. It did have me thinking if this is how people look when taking these drugs, and the drugs are very popular, I'll be changing my vote in the future.

I would say our media tends to filter more for looks now than it ever has.

Mostly age better, but looking better idk. Very dependent on what you like and where you are. Like I'll take 1990s hoop earings over the 2010s-20s geordie shore look any day.

I was thinking something like this.

GLraaFUbQAA_m6U

As a late stage Gen X'er, I have a pretty heavy bias for women in the 90s. If we're comparing the top % though, modern might be better with advancements in diets, etc. Though, I'd take Monica Bellucci over Sydney Sweeney 99/100 times.

I think we age better in this time frame though, at least the people who put in even the bare minimum of self care and staying fit.

Changed my vote to no.

There are better looking people now than ever imo, and the intermingling of society has lead to many many beautiful mixes with attributes from different regions...

But...

There are so many fatties.
That was never the case before.

And a lot of false advertising.
Makeup and wigs.
Plastic surgery makes people look worse most of the time in my opinion and there is something UGLY beyond skin deep about the vanity that plastic surgery highlights and cultivates.

a lot of people in the younger generations have gone way overboard with the tattoos.
I love art and expression, but stop writing on your fucking faces ya weirdos.

So yeah. Overall, I think that we are going in the wrong direction and we are becoming unhealthy as a species.

Yeah, it's tough to make a complete assessment.

We undoubtedly age slower and have more ethnic/racial mixing, which leads to better aesthetics.

But the fatty factor is also undoubtedly there. Lately, I've seen these pics comparing body shapes in the 60s and 70s compared to today:

images

04ALBUMss-slide-AEJH-superJumbo.jpg

Really tough to say which one trumps which. Thinness vs better aging & more mixing

The whole west is struggling with obesity and people not exercising enough.

more and more people and antidepressants
People eating unhealthy and too much.

And people dress like shit today.

So I am not sure we look better today .

Yes. John Lennon and Yoko Oho were sex symbols. If they were the sex symbols can you imagine how your average person looked?
Not sure if they were, but even if that was the case, there is obviously kind of a reverse halo effect going on with Lennon being part of one of the biggest music bands ever.

Last edited:
With plastic surgeries being the norm these days, do we look better now?

We also don't smoke or drink as much and we live longer.

I think we age better to.

However there was hardly any obese people back then.

I guess they were more natural beauties back then also.

Thoughts?
Plastic surgery doesn't count, nor the obese.
People are much better looking now.

Top 20% are better looking for sure
You can arguably maintain looks better with surgery, but the sheer amount of obesity, i would default to the past having provably better looking people.

Chicks from the mid 90's and early 2000's shit on the girls considered hot today. Give me a prime Pammy A, Carmen Electra, Natalie Portman, Jamie Pressly, Eliza Dushku, etc over who is considered hot now. Minus Margot Robbie who ironically looks just like Jamie Pressly
I agree with this. I'd say 80's and 90's were the peak.

Cindy Crawford and natural beauties like her had good dental care, good skin care, etc, but it was still too early for them to ruin their faces and bodies with cosmetic surgery.

Pam Anderson was the beginning of the end. She was the first mega star to have implants and not be made fun of for it. Dolly Parton came first but everyone made fun of her. Women hated her. But with Pam Anderson, it was suddenly ok for women to enhance themselves through surgery and today we have fake everything. Fake tits, fake ass, fake lips, and it all looks terrible.

I agree with this. I'd say 80's and 90's were the peak.

Cindy Crawford and natural beauties like her had good dental care, good skin care, etc, but it was still too early for them to ruin their faces and bodies with cosmetic surgery.

Pam Anderson was the beginning of the end. She was the first mega star to have implants and not be made fun of for it. Dolly Parton came first but everyone made fun of her. Women hated her. But with Pam Anderson, it was suddenly ok for women to enhance themselves through surgery and today we have fake everything. Fake tits, fake ass, fake lips, and it all looks terrible.
I don't mind some bolt on boobies, but they go over board with the other shit these days. Megan Fox being a prime example, she was absolutely perfect and then started fucking around with her face. It's a god damned shame.

Back