Beginners (noobs) Questions - V.4

Are there any bad diet habits you can eliminate? That's probably the best place to start. We have a powerlifter trying to drop down to 264 (the goal is to walk around at about 270) from a 306 bodyweight. Just eliminating sugary drinks and some carbs has produced really good results for him in about 45 days. You'll want to reduce calories while keeping your protein intake high to reduce fat and maintain/build muscle.

Update.

Down to 175 but I'm down two pants sizes.
A couple of sodas a day when I'm on a 12 hour shift at work is about the only junk foods I have. Have had to cut gym visits down a bit due to wacky work schedule but I'm doing some sort of workout everyday.. just have to remember that I'm older now and won't see results as quickly. Going to talk to a trainer and hone my workout a bit.

I plan to sign up to a bjj academy in the foreseeable future, but I'm in terrible shape atm. I've not been engaged in any sport for multiple years, but I'm still in my 20s. The question I have is what steps can I take to aid the transition into the intensity I should expect in the academy. Should I focus strictly on cardio, or is there a strength and conditioning program I can adopt alongside it, thanks for your help.

I plan to sign up to a bjj academy in the foreseeable future, but I'm in terrible shape atm. I've not been engaged in any sport for multiple years, but I'm still in my 20s. The question I have is what steps can I take to aid the transition into the intensity I should expect in the academy. Should I focus strictly on cardio, or is there a strength and conditioning program I can adopt alongside it, thanks for your help.
I think the best move would be joining the gym as soon as you can and not worrying about being prepared.
That being said, any basic strength and cardio program will help someone who's in terrible shape. Run a few days each week and do some basic lifts or calisthenics.

Any decent bjj school isn't going to kill you when you sign up. They will be used to people joining for reasons like keeping in shape (and not becoming a UFC champ) and they will push you accordingly.

In other words, vision offers very good advice if you are locked into getting into better shape before you join, but imo you are not required to - you can just join.

I need an opinion, because I've never been smart at the gym...

- 2 mile run outdoors. Takes just under 20 mins.
- chest press, 3 sets, 10 reps of 112kg
- incline press, 3 sets, 10 reps, 100kg (50kg each side)
- shoulder press, 3 sets, 10 reps, 80kg (40kg each side)
- lateral raise machine, 3 sets, 10 reps, bottom of stack (forgot the weight)
- bicep curls with barbell, 3 sets, 10 reps, 30kg (my arms have always been weak).
- 3 sets, 10 squats and leg raises
- 3 sets, 5 pull ups and 3x dips
- 3 sets, 5 chin ups.
- Finish with a row, aiming for 1000m, but often don't make it. Takes from 04:40 to 05:15.
- stretch down, including 30 push ups.

I'm too damn overweight and not at all agile enough...also I'm a bit of an idiot...

Mock away...

Ty.

I have a bit of an unusual question:
I seem to have extreme problems with overheating during training/sparring. I thought that my conditioning had just gone worse due to age (I'm 36), as I couldn't hang with the younger guys cardio-wise any more, although I train every day. However, due to Covid, we sometimes trained outside where it often happened to be very cold and my cardio/conditioning was suddenly better than everyone else's. As soon as we returned to train inside, though, I faced the same problem as before. I started to compare very carefully what was happening in my body, and it seems as if I overheat ridiculously much when I'm inside warm rooms (I also literally sweat buckets, far more than everyone else). This always leads to feeling like I'm being cooked and drained after some time. Even in the breaks between sparring, the heat seems to keep my heart rate from going down and my body is using up far too much energy the whole time. Drinking lots of water etc. hasn't really helped yet. I guess there is no real solutionto this, right? I happen to have a very fast metabolism (according to my doctor, I need no treatment, as it is still somewhat normal, but it is definitely in the upper range) which probably contributes a lot to the issue.

I seem to have extreme problems with overheating during training/sparring. I thought that my conditioning had just gone worse due to age (I'm 36), as I couldn't hang with the younger guys cardio-wise any more, although I train every day. However, due to Covid, we sometimes trained outside where it often happened to be very cold and my cardio/conditioning was suddenly better than everyone else's. As soon as we returned to train inside, though, I faced the same problem as before. I started to compare very carefully what was happening in my body, and it seems as if I overheat ridiculously much when I'm inside warm rooms (I also literally sweat buckets, far more than everyone else). This always leads to feeling like I'm being cooked and drained after some time. Even in the breaks between sparring, the heat seems to keep my heart rate from going down and my body is using up far too much energy the whole time. Drinking lots of water etc. hasn't really helped yet. I guess there is no real solutionto this, right? I happen to have a very fast metabolism (according to my doctor, I need no treatment, as it is still somewhat normal, but it is definitely in the upper range) which probably contributes a lot to the issue.
https://greensportsblog.com/the-gsb...tballer-climate-analyst-and-climate-activist/

Take it seriously

Interestingly enough, there's some solid research showing using the sauna directly after a low-moderate intensity training session can improve your endurance and allow you to acclimate to the heat. Maybe on days you aren't doing sparring and have lighter sessions, if you have access to a sauna, sit in one for 30 minutes directly after training.

I need an opinion, because I've never been smart at the gym...

- 2 mile run outdoors. Takes just under 20 mins.
- chest press, 3 sets, 10 reps of 112kg
- incline press, 3 sets, 10 reps, 100kg (50kg each side)
- shoulder press, 3 sets, 10 reps, 80kg (40kg each side)
- lateral raise machine, 3 sets, 10 reps, bottom of stack (forgot the weight)
- bicep curls with barbell, 3 sets, 10 reps, 30kg (my arms have always been weak).
- 3 sets, 10 squats and leg raises
- 3 sets, 5 pull ups and 3x dips
- 3 sets, 5 chin ups.
- Finish with a row, aiming for 1000m, but often don't make it. Takes from 04:40 to 05:15.
- stretch down, including 30 push ups.

I'm too damn overweight and not at all agile enough...also I'm a bit of an idiot...

Mock away...

Ty.

How often are you doing this per week? This is one session? Are you training for a combat sport or just general fitness? Are you doing any other activity outside of the gym?

How often are you doing this per week? This is one session? Are you training for a combat sport or just general fitness? Are you doing any other activity outside of the gym?

Right now, about three, though I can boost it up if I really want to.

This is one session.

General fitness. I want to lose weight and make natural movements easier.

Work, that's about it lol.

Right now, about three, though I can boost it up if I really want to.

This is one session.

General fitness. I want to lose weight and make natural movements easier.

Work, that's about it lol.

For general fitness and your training background (based on your program design), I would start with a basic full-body circuit 3x a week instead of what you wrote. Something simple like:

A1) Lower body exercise (squats, lunges, etc)
B1) Upper body exercise (push-up, shoulder press, bench, etc)
C1) Lower body exercise (Romanian deadlift, glute bridge, leg curl, etc)
D1) Upper body exercise (DB row, BB row, pull-up, etc)
E1) Ab/trunk exercise

Do 3-5 rounds with a little rest between rounds and 10-20 reps. Keep it basic and as you start to feel better and more confident, transition to a strength/hypertrophy style routine.

On your days off your circuit, you can do some of your running and rowing.

For general fitness and your training background (based on your program design), I would start with a basic full-body circuit 3x a week instead of what you wrote. Something simple like:

A1) Lower body exercise (squats, lunges, etc)
B1) Upper body exercise (push-up, shoulder press, bench, etc)
C1) Lower body exercise (Romanian deadlift, glute bridge, leg curl, etc)
D1) Upper body exercise (DB row, BB row, pull-up, etc)
E1) Ab/trunk exercise

Do 3-5 rounds with a little rest between rounds and 10-20 reps. Keep it basic and as you start to feel better and more confident, transition to a strength/hypertrophy style routine.

On your days off your circuit, you can do some of your running and rowing.

Nice one. Thank you very much.

I love the all error links.

EDIT: All jokes aside, I have a serious question. I'm a wrestling fan and I've ALWAYS admired the FIRST Wold Champion of Professional Wrestling: George Hackenschmidt.

maxresdefault.jpg

When I become a white belt, I'll go into full detail but I'll post this.

I'm a 35-year-old male. I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs. I've been out of shape MOST of my life. From 2006-2007 I was in the best shape of my life as I was in the US Army. I miss being thin like that. I also miss NOT having diabetes. I'd like to TRY living until I'm 70+ and have both my legs and not have E.D. as diabetes can cause E.D.

I want to slim down and get back in shape. Since I haven't been active in a while, I know I need to work on my wind. The last time I went bike riding (stationary) I easily did 16 miles in an hour and feel that's a decent start. Maybe it isn't, not 100% sure. Once my wind is up, what would be the first steps to start getting a body like George? I know it'll take years and I'm willing to dedicate the time getting a body like that. The man had stood in at 5′ 9″, and weighed 218 lbs. Being 6'4", I'd like to get back down to my army weight of 242 at the smallest, 272 at the biggest (muscle mass, not fat mass).

I've also changed my diet since finding out I'm a diabetic. I've dropped ALL sugar drinks, I maybe ONCE a month will drink soda. But I namely drink water and Fat-Free or 2% milk. My protein has gone from beef & lamb to chicken, turkey, salmon and/or ahi tuna. I've also dropped 90% of my sugar intake from stuff like chocolate and any other processed sugars.

My breakfasts typically are a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios with 0% or 2% milk, pending on which I got. I'm a cook, so my profession requires me to taste test. I'm thinking I should chew/taste then spit out so I don't take more calories. My lunches and dinners are typically 1 cup of rice with 1 tablespoon of chicen/beef bullion, a bed of veggies which changes: Typically mixed peppers & onions or spinach. Then a 6-8 ounce piece of protein.

I can't find anything on George's diet, but I've read conflicting reports on if he drank milk or not. One said he didn't, another said he drank 5 liters of milk a day. His diet also was raw, uncooked food such as nuts, vegetables, and fruits. No seasonings for his meals. He was a STRICT vegetarian from what I've read, and I know I can't do that. But I am willing to reduce my meat intake.

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Last edited:
I love the all error links.

EDIT: All jokes aside, I have a serious question. I'm a wrestling fan and I've ALWAYS admired the FIRST Wold Champion of Professional Wrestling: George Hackenschmidt.

maxresdefault.jpg

When I become a white belt, I'll go into full detail but I'll post this.

I'm a 35-year-old male. I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs. I've been out of shape MOST of my life. From 2006-2007 I was in the best shape of my life as I was in the US Army. I miss being thin like that. I also miss NOT having diabetes. I'd like to TRY living until I'm 70+ and have both my legs and not have E.D. as diabetes can cause E.D.

I want to slim down and get back in shape. Since I haven't been active in a while, I know I need to work on my wind. The last time I went bike riding (stationary) I easily did 16 miles in an hour and feel that's a decent start. Maybe it isn't, not 100% sure. Once my wind is up, what would be the first steps to start getting a body like George? I know it'll take years and I'm willing to dedicate the time getting a body like that. The man had stood in at 5′ 9″, and weighed 218 lbs. Being 6'4", I'd like to get back down to my army weight of 242 at the smallest, 272 at the biggest (muscle mass, not fat mass).

I've also changed my diet since finding out I'm a diabetic. I've dropped ALL sugar drinks, I maybe ONCE a month will drink soda. But I namely drink water and Fat-Free or 2% milk. My protein has gone from beef & lamb to chicken, turkey, salmon and/or ahi tuna. I've also dropped 90% of my sugar intake from stuff like chocolate and any other processed sugars.

My breakfasts typically are a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios with 0% or 2% milk, pending on which I got. I'm a cook, so my profession requires me to taste test. I'm thinking I should chew/taste then spit out so I don't take more calories. My lunches and dinners are typically 1 cup of rice with 1 tablespoon of chicen/beef bullion, a bed of veggies which changes: Typically mixed peppers & onions or spinach. Then a 6-8 ounce piece of protein.

I can't find anything on George's diet, but I've read conflicting reports on if he drank milk or not. One said he didn't, another said he drank 5 liters of milk a day. His diet also was raw, uncooked food such as nuts, vegetables, and fruits. No seasonings for his meals. He was a STRICT vegetarian from what I've read, and I know I can't do that. But I am willing to reduce my meat intake.

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Love the old-time strongman style training and era. Have you done a deep dive into Brooks Kubik's work? And not exactly sure what you are asking. Are you asking exactly how to train and eat to look like Hackenschidt?

Love the old-time strongman-style training and era. Have you done a deep dive into Brooks Kubik's work? And not exactly sure what you are asking. Are you asking exactly how to train and eat to look like Hackenschidt?

Yes, I'd like to know how he ate and how he worked out and what his workouts were. I don't care out painful they are, even if I can only do 5 reps, I'll build-up to his strenght. I know I can't lift 216 lbs with one arm. I'll get there eventually with help.

Yes, I'd like to know how he ate and how he worked out and what his workouts were. I don't care out painful they are, even if I can only do 5 reps, I'll build-up to his strenght. I know I can't lift 216 lbs with one arm. I'll get there eventually with help.

If there's one place you'll find this information, it's here: https://ditillo2.blogspot.com/

Go through the archives and I'm sure you'll find even more relevant info.

quick question, i want to do bodybuilding but i also want to do martial arts, theres a martial arts gym that offers classes every day that alternate between boxing and grappling, normally i work out monday to friday targeting different muscle groups each day so i was wondering should i do one week of gym and one week of martial arts or two weeks of gym and then two weeks of martial arts in terms of alternating because i know the martial arts sessions will be mainly cardio intensive, please answer thank you

quick question, i want to do bodybuilding but i also want to do martial arts, theres a martial arts gym that offers classes every day that alternate between boxing and grappling, normally i work out monday to friday targeting different muscle groups each day so i was wondering should i do one week of gym and one week of martial arts or two weeks of gym and then two weeks of martial arts in terms of alternating because i know the martial arts sessions will be mainly cardio intensive, please answer thank you
Don't alternate

Stick with the boxing and grappling for a while and see how much you like it. You can almost always go back to lifting later in life.

Having had low back, shoulder, elbow issues in the past, I can tell you the best thing I have done has been to incorporate banded routines into my warm ups, every single session. You can search on youtube for many of these. Some examples -

Banded clamshells
Banded Glute bridges
Banded psoas march
banded side steps
banded monster walks
Banded Good mornings
Banded Kang squats

All above helped my low back tremendously as it helped me strengthen glutes, hips, etc and it prepped me very well for my training (I mainly train in Olympic lifting and I'm 53 years old so I need a lot of warm up/prep time especially for snatches)

There are also many shoulder movements you can do with longer bands.

Pull aparts (palms down, palms up, elbows tucked close to body, etc)
Pull aparts can be in front of body, overhead and pull down to shoulders, pulled in diagonal motion
Banded arnold presses
Banded front raises...

In short, I don't spend much time stretching although I do work on ankle flexion via a couple of more static movements as this is super important for snatch position (barbell overhead, sitting in low squat).

Let me know if you can't find any of these. I have an email with a lot of them outlined for others who have asked me about this (from my gym)

I never responded to this post, but I have integrated a lot of these into my workout and have had really good results.
I just wanted to make sure I thanked you.

Back