Best journeyman in UFC history?

Roy Nelson for me embodies the journeyman. Maybe better than journeyman given his start and IFL title but generally his career from that point on is pretty accurate. Just a machine for being fed to the most violent dudes possible though. Much respect.

He might have the deepest and most brutal resume in HW MMA history. Managed to pull off a couple huge wins too.

usa-today-9563390.0.jpeg

Last edited:
a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
"a solid journeyman professional"

I have to say this is a stupid question. Its like asking what the best worst meal you had was...

Roy Nelson, by miles and miles. Just a machine for being fed to the most violent dudes possible.

He might have the deepest and most brutal resume in MMA history. Managed to pull off a couple huge wins too.

usa-today-9563390.0.jpeg
not a journeyman at all

These days not sure it exists. But back in the day.. I'd probably say Tank Abbot or Jeremy Horn. Possibly Mark Coleman.
According to you, the resume of a jouneyman....lol

I edited post after to question it myself. I still think his post-IFL career is pretty prototypical of a journeyman. Fed to other fighters for them to spar on.
I guess late he sort of was but loads of good fighters turn into that

Okay so Jeremy Horn and Tank Abbott

Clay Guida is a pretty good example. And quite funny given his trade association.

dude has lots of loses, made it up to the contender against jon jones, and could have won.

Out of curiosity how could he have won against Jones?

Jones smacked him around for 5 rounds.

I'd define it as a gatekeeper who spent large amounts of time in minor orgs(not Bellator!).

I'd consider Jan to be the top "journeyman".

It’s about the journey, not the destination. Donald Cerrone. Never won a WEC or UFC belt, didn’t seem to care much about title runs, just kept busy fighting and fighting and fighting. He’s fought the “who’s who” of his time in the sport. Not a can and not a gate keeper either.

disagree; probably one of the most basic skillsets in the history of journeymen.

Sorry I didn't mean to put him up for "best" journeyman. There seems to be a lot of contention in here about who qualifies and I though Guida is a perfect example. Best, definitely not. Not even close. You think my thoughts on Roy are accurate? He's a tough one to call

I knew almost no one here would know what a journeyman is. And the truth is journeymen barely exist in MMA, it's very different to boxing.

A journeyman is a fighter who fights to put food on the table, and barely cares if he wins. Basically there to pad records and pad a card.

Journeymen don't get titleshots, and generally have losing records, or 50/50 at best.

Possibly Guida is the closest thing to a journeyman in the UFC, but even then he's pretty far from the classic journeyman in boxing.

Who is the greatest journeyman in UFC history? Different people will have different criteria for the label of “journeyman” of course, so try to elaborate.

Also, which journeyman had the best moment?
Lots of bad definitions here, made up by people who just describe what they want “journeyman” to mean.

Outside of fight sports, a "journeyman" is a trader or crafter who has completed an apprenticeship, but is not at the level of a master craftsman. So in fighting a journeyman is a fighter who has adequate skills but is not of the caliber of a contender or gatekeeper.
Is Nick Diaz a journeyman? He has fought in a lot of different promotions.
No. He has held belts, contended for belts, and was above gatekeeper status in his prime. That was a nonsensical definition. Guys like Dan Severn and Nick Diaz are in no way journeymen.

The word “journeyman” dates back to Middle English when “journey” meant a day’s work and had nothing to do with travel or moving.

They are no real journeyman in the UFC. The term doesn't really apply to the UFC because of the structure. Journeyman is a guy that travels from promotion to promotion to fight different people. If you want to use journeyman then you have to pick someone who that darted in and out of the UFC. I think people tend to use journeyman for guys in the promotion that never make it out of the prelims or never crack the top 15.

Journeyman is sort of like Dan Severn's career. It's almost a different promotion every single fight.
/thread but that doesnt fit to anybodies agendas in here so they will ignore it.

People love to apply boxing terms to MMA thinking they are smart,even when they dont apply and in some cases,never will.

Back