Law Biden revokes Trump order to punish statue vandals

Imagine wanting to celebrate your ugly past because it’s your history???? Let Germany put up some statues of Hitler because he is part of their history. Or some more statues of Benedict Arnold.

Good. 10 years for vandalizing a statue is absurd. People get less time than that for some truly heinous shit.

Imagine wanting to celebrate your ugly past because it’s your history???? Let Germany put up some statues of Hitler because he is part of their history. Or some more statues of Benedict Arnold.
By your logic should we remove the Egyptian pyramids and other historical monuments/buildings because of the history and past the way they were supposedly built to? in the past the Vatican tried to remove the colosseum but that wouldnt be a good idea.

Maybe the buildings in DC should be also changed to fit the current year right? parks to?

By your logic should we remove the Egyptian pyramids and other historical monuments/buildings because of the history and past the way they were supposedly built to? in the past the Vatican tried to remove the colosseum but that wouldnt be a good idea.

Maybe the buildings in DC should be also changed to fit the current year right? parks to?

When WW2 ended Germany removed statues and symbolism glorifying the 3rd Reich
After the USSR collapsed, many statues of Soviet era dictators were torn down in the former Communist states.
When the US invaded Iraq, US Marines tore down a statue of Saddam Hussein.

We are talking about statues. A statue would be a tribute. If it’s a blemish on your history, get rid of it.

Wrong again.

This statues belong in a museum with placards that explain how heinous these people were and how they should never be celebrated.

I actually agree with this. However, that's not what happened. There was no vote. The statues were not removed through proper legal channels. They were illegally defaced/damaged/torn down by BLM/Antifa. You can be for these statues removal, and also hope that those who broke the law are punished for it. This is literally giving people of a certain political ideology immunity from the law, where others on the other side would not get.

The confederates were given the same respect as any US veteran upon their surrender. Maybe read up on your history?

I didn't say they weren't.

I don't respect traitors. Tell your story to a different American disabled veteran because this one ain't buying what you're slinging.

Anyone that rose up and fought against the U.S. flag should have no statue, no base or ship named after them and no monument to celebrate their hatred of the United States and their desire to see it fall.

OGC.bd1becf3c1cc56776c1c3d022b898ca3

And we should not fetishize a nation and its military under whose flag countless unrepentant atrocities, crimes against humanity, and massacres were conducted.

iu

I doubt the descendants of the survivors at wounded knee feel much pride looking upon the flag flown by the troopers who massacred their people and took their land.

I doubt the women of Okinawa have fond memories of their grandmothers being ripped from their homes after US occupation and repeatedly gang raped in broad daylight.

I doubt the people of Nicaragua have profound respect for the intelligence agencies and military advisors who trained and funded right wing death squads who ran rampant through their countryside.

iu

This wall represents as much death, pain, and suffering to millions of innocents around the world as any confederate memorial does to the descendants of slavery today.

iu

The legacy of J. Edgar Hoover adorns this building yet the man and his legacy has destroyed dozens of civil rights groups, broken up countless labor unions, arrested thousands of left-wing activist, persecuted homosexuals, and conducted unjust federal enforcement policy targeting minorities and dissidents for decades all in the name of country.

Maybe this "great" nation should stop measuring its hero's by how much land they conquered, how many native peoples they killed, how many opposing governments they toppled, how many protestors they jailed, and join the concert of nations who judge themselves instead on their contributions to humanity and commitment to human rights.

No other peaceful nation on Earth fetishizes the military, its members, and lionizes their war crimes quite like the United States

A few written apologies issued by the state department decades after the fact will never be enough to expunge the blood and tears that taint the flag and national character of the United States, and particularly its military, justice, and intelligence institutions.

I actually agree with this. However, that's not what happened. There was no vote. The statues were not removed through proper legal channels. They were illegally defaced/damaged/torn down by BLM/Antifa. You can be for these statues removal, and also hope that those who broke the law are punished for it. This is literally giving people of a certain political ideology immunity from the law, where others on the other side would not get.

It's a complex situation.

A lot of statues over the years have come down as the result of votes, but many have stayed in place thanks to the Republicans, including the grand wizard in the state capitol. A commission voted to remove the bust and as retaliation a Republican senator filed a bill to remove the appointments of all the members of Tennessee Historical Commission and replace them.

Taking the statues down without a consensus is civil disobedience. Some will support it, some will oppose it, it will always be a crime. Personally, I support taking down civil war memorials in spirit, even though I don't have a say, due to the racist motivations that went into putting most of them up.

And we should not fetishize a nation and its military under whose flag countless unrepentant atrocities, crimes against humanity, and massacres were conducted.

iu

I doubt the descendants of the survivors at wounded knee feel much pride looking upon the flag flown by the troopers who massacred their people and took their land.

I doubt the women of Okinawa have fond memories of their grandmothers being ripped from their homes after US occupation and repeatedly gang raped in broad daylight.

I doubt the people of Nicaragua have profound respect for the intelligence agencies and military advisors who trained and funded right wing death squads who ran rampant through their countryside.

iu

This wall represents as much death, pain, and suffering to millions of innocents around the world as any confederate memorial does to the descendants of slavery today.

iu

The legacy of J. Edgar Hoover adorns this building yet the man and his legacy has destroyed dozens of civil rights groups, broken up countless labor unions, arrested thousands of left-wing activist, persecuted homosexuals, and conducted unjust federal enforcement policy targeting minorities and dissidents for decades all in the name of country.

Maybe this "great" nation should stop measuring its hero's by how much land they conquered, how many native peoples they killed, how many opposing governments they toppled, how many protestors they jailed, and join the concert of nations who judge themselves instead on their contributions to humanity and commitment to human rights.

No other peaceful nation on Earth fetishizes the military, its members, and lionizes their war crimes quite like the United States

A few written apologies issued by the state department decades after the fact will never be enough to expunge the blood and tears that taint the flag and national character of the United States, and particularly its military, justice, and intelligence institutions.

All of what you said is true.

That being said. If you took up arms against the U.S. seeking it's destruction, you get no statue, no base named after you, and you should be resigned to the annals of treachery.

Rcf8e7572f15dcca9f0ac6e2608bade78

I love my country, warts and all. It's not perfect but the goal is progress...

Not perfection.

I didn't say they weren't.

I don't respect traitors. Tell your story to a different American disabled veteran because this one ain't buying what you're slinging.

I don’t care if you’re a veteran. They were awarded the same respects, plain and simple.

I don’t care if you’re a veteran. They were awarded the same respects, plain and simple.

I don't care that they were awarded the same respects, they're traitors and wanted to see the U.S. dead, plain and simple.

They deserve no praise.

All of what you said is true.

That being said. If you took up arms against the U.S. seeking it's destruction, you get no statue, no base named after you, and you should be resigned to the annals of treachery.

Rcf8e7572f15dcca9f0ac6e2608bade78

I love my country, warts and all. It's not perfect but the goal is progress...

Not perfection.

The goal is always to be better, and reverence for the past is not necessary. Today's hero might well be tomorrow's villain as we see things differently.

The goal is always to be better, and reverence for the past is not necessary. Today's hero might well be tomorrow's villain as we see things differently.

The thing is, those traitors were scum from the get-go and they got statues in their name.

That says a lot about the people praising them.

I don't care that they were awarded the same respects, they're traitors and wanted to see the U.S. dead, plain and simple.

They deserve no praise.

The men that defeated them didn’t share your opinion.

You’re also being ridiculous about them wanting the US dead.

The men that defeated them didn’t share your opinion.

You’re also being ridiculous about them wanting the US dead.

Yeah, that's why the battle of Appomattox was settled with a spelling contest.

OGC.d4f13c1a130800042f888823a3e13a9a

Back