BJ Penn ain't done with Khabib yet

No one is ignoring them. Jens Pulver is a champion and so is Frankie. Facts are facts. BJ fought anyone and had just as an impressive title reign as Khabib if not more. BJ did things that Khabib wouldnt dare do. That is a fact.

Yes BJ did things Khabib never did, lose!! BJ lost to fighters in his weight class and below and that’s a fact.

Let's not romanticize it. BJ moved up because he missed winning the title at LW and the UFC scrapped the division, so he took another chance at a title against Hughes, and then stayed heavier for the next several years because that's where he got his best result and he could eat whatever he wanted.

The 2nd GSP fight was him actually moving up 1 time to challenge himself against the champ at a higher weight, but the others were just him getting heavier himself. Hendricks, Gastellum and Rumble have all moved up in weight too, same with Poirier and Conor and lots of others.

Everyone you named moved up and stayed up. BJ went back down.

Also, Conor is the only one who moved up as champ. That's where the comparison comes to all the goats.

If you can't read my first post and understand what it would mean for a champ to be doing today and who he'd have to fight to be comparable to what BJ did, then there's no point in having a discussion.

Keep romanticizing a fighter who quits after 2 defenses and claims to be the GOAT. Instead of actually trying to get the defense records and actually beat guys....just retire and say you're the best, don't actually risk anything and don't actually move up and challenge yourself. Take no risk, throw in the towel.

BJ went back down.

Also, Conor is the only one who moved up as champ. That's where the comparison comes to all the goats.
Thats is only because he was allowed to. Aldo tried and was told he couldnt.

But he fought them bro, he fought them.
And lost to them. Losses aren't wins.

You´re omittin´that Draw vs Fitch, tho... a legit quality performance...
Draws aren't wins. They don't count as losses, but they definitely aren't wins. The only UFC fights outside of LW BJ has are against Hughes.

I think some people are a little jaded by Penns performances at the end of his career. I wouldnt favor him against Khabib or anything if BJ was in his prime but it would be one of Khabibs tougher fights.
Nah, Khabib would do exactly what GSP did to him.

There are 2 arguments against Khabib. He didn't have the longevity as champion (title fights and defenses), and he didn't test himself in higher weight classes, much less win a title in a higher weight class. These are both legitimate and cannot be disputed.
I don't find his resume particularly impressive. I think Tony had tougher fights on the way up, and I think Bendo's resume is superior as well, even if I think he should have lost some of those decisions. Benson had a belt in WEC and UFC and beat the LW Strikeforce champ when they were both in the UFC. Speaking of which, Gilbert Melendez had a great run at lightweight with wins over Aoki, Masvidal, Josh Thompson and Clay Guida.

When did BJ become 2nd best lightweight ever???

Top 10, maybe top 5 sure.
Umm.... BJ was the first lightweight champ to defend the belt 3 times (still the record) and had the title the second longest (812 days vs Khabib's 1077), meaning he was actually more active. He has more UFC title fights at lightweight than anyone else, and more finishes in LW UFC title fights than anyone else. How is he not second? Who else has the credentials he has?

Draws aren't wins. They don't count as losses, but they definitely aren't wins. The only UFC fights outside of LW BJ has are against Hughes.
Short-sighted & simplistic assessment.

In modern MMA [>1997], the undersized opponent is realistically not supposed to be that competitive @ OW.
Legacy-wise, a Draw [& the way he performed in that fight] is truly a quality performance.

Last edited:
in b4

giphy.gif
BJ stepped up a division to hw here. Something Khabib will never do.

Khabib fans are delusional and rabid in these parts - there is a reason they are continually voted the worst fans in the sport above Diaz, McGregor and even Rousey fans, so do not expect them to understand what BJ is saying.

The lack of self-awareness is staggering <Huh2>

Penn hasn't won a fight since 2010 when he beat a washed up Matt Hughes, and he still has the consensus "worst fanbase in MMA"

The ones you cited were all trying to dispute the number 2 spot after the BJ nuthuggers, and some of them (like the Ronda-tards) have been lost to time.
The Penn nuthuggers on the other hand are still a meme, after all these years.

Get !boop'd

and !boop'd again

and go quit on your stool, ye bums!

The lack of self-awareness is staggering <Huh2>

Penn hasn't won a fight since 2010 when he beat a washed up Matt Hughes, and he still has the consensus "worst fanbase in MMA"

The ones you cited were all trying to dispute the number 2 spot after the BJ nuthuggers, and some of them (like the Ronda-tards) have been lost to time.
The Penn nuthuggers on the other hand are still a meme, after all these years.

Get !boop'd

and !boop'd again

and go quit on your stool, ye bums!
3/10. Not even a good try but its good you showed BJ losing a split dec to gsp who is miles ahead of Khabib in goatness.

BJ has had 30 fights and is 16-14. If Khabib fought the guys BJ fought, he would have gone 30-0 or maybe 29-1.
Khabib has had 29 fights and is 29-0. If “prime” BJ fought the guys Khabib fought, his record would be something like 25-4.

• bjpenn
    Verified

Since Khabib has been saying he is the greatest lightweight of all time and I am number 2 best lightweight many people have been asking me why didn’t Khabib fight Usman for the 170 pound belt or compete for 170 belt like I did many times… in my humble opinion it is because he is not proficient and confident in jiujitsu

I believe the reason behind Khabib not fighting Usman is because he does not know jiujitsu like I did and he is not comfortable fighting off his back against someone who is bigger and stronger than him like I did many many times in my career.
    I fought at 170 185 and heavyweight and every fight I had to fight from my back and survive and come back and fight harder if I was to get a victory.

It’s because of my jiujitsu black belt experience and fighting in my weight and absolute division for years that always prepared me for this…Gracie jiujitsu and Brazilian jiu-jitsu alone is not enough to be UFC champion but to choose one system BJJ is still the greatest self defense system in the world especially for the little man to fight the big man.

It was just part of the game…
    Khabib says jiujitsu is easy and he is the best grappler ever but he did not fight bigger opponents in higher weight classes because his style is not prepared for this …and that’s what jiujitsu was created for.. for the little man to defend himself from the big man! That is martial arts, that is self defense !!

although Khabib is not the GOAT in all weightclass, he is the LW GOAT. BJ Peen is not as great as he makes himself out to be. He got some decent wins in an era where fighters are less well-rounded, and the sport has yet to evolve to the level where it is today.

BJ won't beat a single top 20 fighter in the UFC today. probably one of the most overrated fighters in the history of the sport. Frankie Edgar ranks higher than any version of BJ ever

• bjpenn
    Verified

Since Khabib has been saying he is the greatest lightweight of all time and I am number 2 best lightweight many people have been asking me why didn’t Khabib fight Usman for the 170 pound belt or compete for 170 belt like I did many times… in my humble opinion it is because he is not proficient and confident in jiujitsu

I believe the reason behind Khabib not fighting Usman is because he does not know jiujitsu like I did and he is not comfortable fighting off his back against someone who is bigger and stronger than him like I did many many times in my career.
    I fought at 170 185 and heavyweight and every fight I had to fight from my back and survive and come back and fight harder if I was to get a victory.

It’s because of my jiujitsu black belt experience and fighting in my weight and absolute division for years that always prepared me for this…Gracie jiujitsu and Brazilian jiu-jitsu alone is not enough to be UFC champion but to choose one system BJJ is still the greatest self defense system in the world especially for the little man to fight the big man.

It was just part of the game…
    Khabib says jiujitsu is easy and he is the best grappler ever but he did not fight bigger opponents in higher weight classes because his style is not prepared for this …and that’s what jiujitsu was created for.. for the little man to defend himself from the big man! That is martial arts, that is self defense !!

well he is right

Prime Penn vs. Prime Khabib would've been balls out insane. Penn definitely has the advantage in the first. If Khabib manages to get BJ to gas out, it would've been interesting.

Don't act like you know what's gonna happen in that scenario because you just don't.

if penn couldn’t live with gsp ontop of him then how’d he handle khabibi?

if penn couldn’t live with gsp ontop of him then how’d he handle khabibi?

Hey here's a thought: Khabib's no GSP. The guy killed himself to make 155, while GSP unretired after four years to win a title at 185.

BJ has had 30 fights and is 16-14. If Khabib fought the guys BJ fought, he would have gone 30-0 or maybe 29-1.
Khabib has had 29 fights and is 29-0. If “prime” BJ fought the guys Khabib fought, his record would be something like 25-4.
Agree, that BJ would lose badly to Conor, Dustin and Gaethje at least. But Khabib would also lose at least to GSP and Machida

Reactions: ssx

I am not denying that Khabib had a better career than BJ but I really doubt that Khabib would have went 30-0. If he fought them in the same order he would of fought Machida in his 13th pro fight, GSP in his 15th pro fight, prime Hughes in his 16th pro fight. Hell even Din Thomas in your 2nd fight as a pro is a tough fight. BJ has fought a very impressive list of competition

Reactions: ssx
Agree, that BJ would lose badly to Conor, Dustin and Gaethje at least. But Khabib would also lose at least to GSP and Machida

Prime Penn would have eaten those Conor punches with his iron chin, pushed him into the cage and submitted him.

Nah, Khabib would do exactly what GSP did to him.

I don't find his resume particularly impressive. I think Tony had tougher fights on the way up, and I think Bendo's resume is superior as well, even if I think he should have lost some of those decisions. Benson had a belt in WEC and UFC and beat the LW Strikeforce champ when they were both in the UFC. Speaking of which, Gilbert Melendez had a great run at lightweight with wins over Aoki, Masvidal, Josh Thompson and Clay Guida.

Umm.... BJ was the first lightweight champ to defend the belt 3 times (still the record) and had the title the second longest (812 days vs Khabib's 1077), meaning he was actually more active. He has more UFC title fights at lightweight than anyone else, and more finishes in LW UFC title fights than anyone else. How is he not second? Who else has the credentials he has?

the dude has a .500 record. It's not even a fair argument. You BJ fan boys have been silly on Sherdog since he came back to the UFC.

Back