Bo Nickal's career is being rushed

I see far too many people crying about Bo Nickal fighting Cody Brundage next and complaining that he's getting easy fights and taking it slow. But literally the opposite is true. He's being fast tracked. Based on his own career goals he would like to get through Brundage, and then fight someone right outside out of the rankings, and then fight a ranked opponent. And he wants to accomplish all this in 2024. This would mean he is going to fight a ranked opponent in his 8th professional fight, 2.5 years into his mma career. That's quicker than Khamzat, Shavkat, Garry, or any other prospect we've seen recently. Everyone needs to take a chill pill and stop complaining. He's literally only had 5 fights and been a fighter for 18 months. You will see him fighting elite opponents in a calendar year and he is doing it much faster than everyone else.
There've been plenty of fighters who've fought far better competition at the stage Nickal is in and they weren't nearly as cocky with all the talking:

Bo Nickal ‘disappointed’ to not get asked to fight Khamzat Chimaev at UFC 294, guesses UFC protecting ‘their boy’

“I’m guessing they didn’t want me to roll over into Abu Dhabi on 10 days’ notice and smash their boy in front of his home crowd or something."

He's also said numerous times that he's confident he'd beat Adesanya and everybody in the top 10, yet here he is still fighting cans.

There've been plenty of fighters who've fought far better competition at the stage Nickal is in and they weren't nearly as cocky with all the talking:

Bo Nickal ‘disappointed’ to not get asked to fight Khamzat Chimaev at UFC 294, guesses UFC protecting ‘their boy’

“I’m guessing they didn’t want me to roll over into Abu Dhabi on 10 days’ notice and smash their boy in front of his home crowd or something."

He's also said numerous times that he's "confident" he'd beat Adesanya and everybody in the top 10, yet here he is still fighting cans.
TS has already outed himself. He calls people dumb for making valid points to his ridiculous statements

There is nothing about his career being "rushed" by comparison to many others

he started "training in MMA" 3 years ago, not 18 months ago, because he got starched in wrestling. overrated and will be the subject of "whatever happened to Bo Nickal?" threads 5 years from now.

"Nickal lost twice by scores of 0–4 and 0–6, failing to make the US Olympic Team"

starched? He was beat by David Taylor, who is arguably the best wrestler ever. Also had a bum knee during that match. Torn Mcl I believe it was. So to say he isn't an olympic caliber wrestler is just stupid.

starched? He was beat by David Taylor, who is arguably the best wrestler ever. Also had a bum knee during that match. Torn Mcl I believe it was. So to say he isn't an olympic caliber wrestler is just stupid.
Check you out making excuses for Bo Nickal like some pro-wrestling mark. He failed to make the team and ran away from wrestling in his early 20s bro. He is highly overrated and literally was proven to not be Olympic caliber.

Last edited:
This will be a nice bump in years to come when Bo wins the belt.
Wow, sherdog really filling up with the WWE merger. Wait you are a 2004 account? Time to take down your Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior poster and get with reality bro.

Winning one Olympic gold doesn't make him the best wrestler.

Check you out making excuses for Bo Nickal like some pro-wrestling mark. He failed to make the team and ran away from wrestling in his early 20s bro. He is highly overrated.
Agreed, those Russian Federation wrestlers compete at the World level for a long time. He probably came to the realization that he's been wrestling competitively for over a decade and to quote Uncle June, didn't have the makings of a varsity athlete.

He can very well be another Aaron Pico.

Winning one Olympic gold doesn't make him the best wrestler.

Agreed, those Russian Federation wrestlers compete at the World level for a long time. He probably came to the realization that he's been wrestling competitively for over a decade and to quote Uncle June, didn't have the makings of a varsity athlete.

He can very well be another Aaron Pico.
Agreed. People marking out for Nickal in a WWE way up in here.

He signed for UFC and made big statements about being able to dominate top competition. It's going slower than the pace he claimed he could handle. We will see

I don't get this can crushing bullshit, if he keeps crushing cans it's his problem it will get him nowhere
People were crying about O'Malley being can crusher but when he fought Yan everyone was say he doesn't deserve it. Haters will always find something to hate
Both things can be true, lmao. O'malley seemed to fail upward. Beat cans, gets fight with a ranked opponent and loses ... goes back and beats some cans, fights another top 10 guy, gets a NC instead of a DQ after losing a round, then gets a top contender and loses but gets gifted a decision.

I see far too many people crying about Bo Nickal fighting Cody Brundage next and complaining that he's getting easy fights and taking it slow. But literally the opposite is true. He's being fast tracked. Based on his own career goals he would like to get through Brundage, and then fight someone right outside out of the rankings, and then fight a ranked opponent. And he wants to accomplish all this in 2024. This would mean he is going to fight a ranked opponent in his 8th professional fight, 2.5 years into his mma career. That's quicker than Khamzat, Shavkat, Garry, or any other prospect we've seen recently. Everyone needs to take a chill pill and stop complaining. He's literally only had 5 fights and been a fighter for 18 months. You will see him fighting elite opponents in a calendar year and he is doing it much faster than everyone else.

I don't think you understand what it means to be fast-tracked - continuing to fight the lowest level guys in the division after you are already on a multi-fight winning streak in the UFC means they are handling you with kid gloves.

Lesnar was fast-tracked; fought Frank Mir in his 2nd fight (1st UFC Fight), fought for the title in his 4th fight (3rd UFC fight).

Alex Pereira was fast-tracked; fought Sean Strickland in his 7th fight (3rd UFC fight), fought for the title in his 8th fight (4th UFC fight).

In Nickal's 6th fight (3rd UFC) fight he's going to fight a guy that Fight Matrix has ranked as the 80th best MW in the world - that isn't exactly a fast-track. Compare that to Lesnar fighting the #1 guy in his 3rd UFC fight or AP fighting the #4 guy in his 3rd UFC Fight.

The big difference in why he isn't being fast-tracked like them is that since AP and Lesnar were older they had less time to develop and it was riskier to bring them along slowly; as Bo is young and doesn't have a backstory (i.e. Lesnar huge pro-wrestling star, Pereira the "boogeyman" to the champ Israel) it wouldn't make sense to actually fast-track him.

With a crazy extensive and proven elite wrestling background he has the base MMA skillset to be able to progress faster than any other fight style, so it would seem they are making sure they don't get him sparked too early and turn him into an Aaron Pico project.

Nickal is trying to "fast-track" himself with WWE-style blustering but then he will also say he needs time to develop. To be honest this dude will probably hit the rankings and run into a 3-fight loss streak then we will have the "whatever happened to Bo Nickal?" thread. a few years after that he will be as forgotten as Amir Sadollah.

It’s actually a pretty typical path for any fighter for which the UFC is sensing some star potential. That’s what they used to do with the TUF alumni from the very first seasons.

Give him a few fights in which he can shine and gain confidence, and slowly increase the level of competition with cherry picked opponents that strike the right balance of being credible enough, but who are still favourable matchups in terms of skillset, so wins can be racked up.

In the case of Nickal, he’s pretty damn new to MMA and undefeated, so it makes sense to do things that way.

However since status in the UFC is based primarily on popularity, fans immediately call for these fighters to face other popular fighters with usually way more experience.
That usually depends how badly the guy being hyped opens his mouth and starts naming top fighters he’d supposedly beat, when his last two opponents have a combined record of 1-5 in the UFC, and his next scheduled fight is against yet another nobody.

A lot of these guys try to propel themselves towards popularity by spewing popular fighters’ names and say they’d beat them.

He's also said numerous times that he's confident he'd beat Adesanya and everybody in the top 10, yet here he is still fighting cans.

No, actually there hasn't. Run down the list of other middleweights and all of them were fighting nobodies 6 fights in.

Sean Strickland
DDP
Izzy
Jared Cannonier
Marvin Vettori
Paulo Costa

Etc. The only exception is Alex Pereira and he had been competing in mma for 6 years. Fighting a ranked opponent in your 8th fight is very rare.

Back