Bobby Knuckles has a better jab than Usman

Usman's actual punch is better in terms of accuracy, power and timing perhaps but whittaker uses superior movement with circling jabs and he rarely leaves himself open when throwing them. Its a Tie maybe. Overall striking Whittaker kills him, Usman has a really strong offense but he's stiff when it comes to defense; he'll be caught by the high kick combo in round 1.

Let's converse on this a moment

let's not forget that Usmans main asset wrestling is rarely challenged and for good reason He has many other assets I'm sure I don't have to remind anybody about All of these come into play making the jab even more dangerous Let's not forget the masvidal cross was initiated by a level change feint
Usman is just beginning to believe in that jab and it's only getting better from here

I find Whitaker's hands to be overrated overall and this is the fight I'm waiting for to prove it

Whitaker's going to get dusted

Let's converse on this a moment

let's not forget that Usmans main asset wrestling is rarely challenged and for good reason He has many other assets I'm sure I don't have to remind anybody about All of these come into play making the jab even more dangerous Let's not forget the masvidal cross was initiated by a level change feint
Usman is just beginning to believe in that jab and it's only getting better from here

I find Whitaker's hands to be overrated overall and this is the fight I'm waiting for to prove it

Whitaker's going to get dusted
Whittaker has extreme confidence in his grappling/wrestling and so the guy isn't one to fall for level change feints, Usman would have to fully rely on his striking skills.

You could say that Whittaker gets reckless sometimes with his blitzing or he leaves himself open occasionally but his hands(and kicks) are anything but overrated. The guys form is perfect and he has higher handspeed than anyone in his division.

Usman is finishing people with his jab, Whitaker couldnt finish his dinner with his, this is no contest.

Usman's jab>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Whitaker's

<JRSmith40>

Is Whittaker a more versatile striker, more skilled in terms of having more weapons? Sure, Whittaker is a striker by nature. However, as of late Usman has been the more effective striker. In that sense, he is better. As far as the jab goes, lately, I have to say Usman's looks better in terms of delivery and impact. I feel like Usman has evolved more than Whittaker has. Current Usman isn't anywhere close to Usman from 3 years ago. I don't know if Whittaker has evolved as much. Usman matches up well with Whittaker, though no doubt Whittaker would be the toughest person he's ever fought.

Usman mainly throws a power jab, he really tries to fuck people up with it. Whittaker's jab has impact but is used to mask sneaky head kicks. I think that both of their jabs are top tier in MMA.

Whitaker's might set up other punches but
Usmans sets up reigns
I would also say deception trumps speed although I think that saying knuckles is faster than Usman is totally arguable as well

do you think Whitaker beats Usman?
Whittakers jab is more deceptive than Usmans by a ton, and he gets his whole body into it, which means he can cover a lot more ground than Usman can with his jab.
Absolutely Whittaker murders Usman, that is Usmans worst matchup possible. I like Usman, and I hope he doesn't move up, because if he did he would get murdered by Rob. Keep fucking up people at WW, no reason to go up to MW and lose most of your advantages.

that sounds ridiculous and incredibly biased, surely if he could jab up wonderboy that would suffice
If he jabs up Wonderboy I will absolutely reevaluate my statement.

Until then though...

Usman always has the tdd threat. In an actual striking match a bunch of guys would beat him.

When Usman throws his left hand and it hurts someone, he's throwing it like a left straight (even from the lead). Otherwise, it's good but nothing special. It's not even the best seen at WW (GSP's and I'd argue Rory's were better).

Whittaker actually throws a proper jab, can land it cleanly on its own or to set up bigger combos, knows how to feint into it, etc. Whittaker's is also proven against much better strikers and across a much longer period.

Different types of jabs. You are describing only the "basic" jab. Watch slick style boxers, they have the most versatile jabs in elite level boxing. They all break that rule purposely.
I don't think Usman is at that level but point taken

Nobody is dropping people with jabs like Usman.

Whittakers standup overall is better in my opinion but MMA is not about having the best jab
Whittaker breaking Romero's Orbital with a jab is more impressive then Usman catching a LW running into it.

The truth is hard to handle sometimes.

Marvin would send Marty back to Nebraska to hoe corn
Look for me if this fight ever happens We can do an avatar bet

he's a big boy but I have no idea how anyone is impressed with MV Guy is so underwhelming

only ppl who dont know shit about boxing/fighting would even put Usmans jab in the same universe as Whittaker

itd be like saying Kovalev had a better jab than Pernell Whittaker lol

And I had to disagree. I like Whitaker's don't get me wrong. When compared to Marty's though I don't think much of it

that's how the discussion went the other night

A recent phenomenon for Usman He didn't have it before TW. Turns out he has a gift A picture perfect jab that's deceptive and powerful. there's a reason he has so much success with the southpaw jab

It's because you can't see it coming

'Youre the champ because of that jab'

Imagine whittaker and usman touching each other with teh jab. Dual ko. whoever hits the floor last wins.

Usman has improved but it is no way better than Whittaker in his jab. It's not just the accuracy and power, it's the different techniques used and more importantly how well he mixes his feints in with it that set him apart from most in MMA.

Look for me if this fight ever happens We can do an avatar bet

he's a big boy but I have no idea how anyone is impressed with MV Guy is so underwhelming
I don't believe it would ever happen.
But Marvin is a better version of Marty.
He's much stronger with a better chin.

But comparing the two is like comparing spaghetti to corn.

Back